News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2023, 05:44:22 PMWere Hussites Calvinists?  I thought they were pre-Calvin.

Hussites were proto-protestants. They predate Luther. And they were not from Hungary anyway.

Tamas

Pro tip: do not mistaken Hungarians with Czechs. Especially not in Czechia, but it is not particularly recommended in Hungary either.  ;)

Valmy

IIRC Calvinism was quite strong in the Ottoman part of Hungary, and generally the Ottomans didn't seem really bothered by Protestantism of any flavor unlike in Royal Hungary.

As far as Hussites and Hungarians...the only experience the Hungarians had with Hussites was killing them in the Hussite Wars.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Needs Slovaks to be added to the Czech(oslovak) mix, both ethnic Slovaks and Slovak citizens of Hungarian ethnicity AND calvinist religion, unlikely (see where Royal Hungary was situated), for fun.

Tamas

Rumour is spreading more and more that the US is going to sanction Hungarian individuals, probably over their link of the spynest of a "bank" Russia planted there and other countries years ago, but which has then have had to close down everywhere but Hungary.

Long fucking overdue, so I hope its true.

Meanwhile the walking turd disguising as the country's Foreign Minister just had his 4th visit to Moscow since the outbreak of the war last year, this time signing a new gas deal (who knows how much that's going to cost the country, they were already paying well above market price with the previous one) and doing something around the planned new nuclear plant. On the latter he said "despite all the EU's efforts to sabotage it" it's gonna' get built.

The Larch

Hey Tamas, any words on Hungary about Orban's prefered GOP candidate for the 2024 elections?

QuoteViktor Orbán's support for Trump seems to wane as ally meets with DeSantis
Hungarian PM previously backed Trump but meetings between Katalin Novák and DeSantis camp suggest he's hedging his bets

(...)

Katalin Novák, the Hungarian president, met DeSantis last month. She also met DeSantis' wife, Casey DeSantis, and Republican mega-donor Thomas Péterffy, who has announced he would not be backing Trump's 2024 presidential candidacy. The Hungarian-born billionaire has called DeSantis his "favorite man" and donated $570,000 to his campaign in 2022, according to the campaign finance watchdog OpenSecrets.

Tamas

Haven't heard of that bet-hedging but I have seen Orban's pro-Trump tweets and whatnot reported (his tweets as in his staff's tweets on his account).

Makes perfect sense to hedge his bets I guess.

Syt

Hungarian born billionaire getting involved in US politics? I thought Republicans hate such "globalists" :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

The US ambassador to Hungary has announced the sanctions on a press conference, as expected it concerns the Russian spy bank and its Hungarian chairman.

Also, fun fact: the ambassador is called Pressman. He replaced his predecessor a year ago, who was called Goodfriend.  :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on April 12, 2023, 10:36:35 AMHungarian born billionaire getting involved in US politics? I thought Republicans hate such "globalists" :P

Well we all know only Jews are globalists.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Legbiter

Seems the morons have exhausted US patience.

QuoteA bipartisan group in Congress is drafting US sanctions that would target leading Hungarian political figures tied to the Orbán government, as the relationship between the two countries continues to spiral downwards.

The sanctions bill would name former officials and government supporters, mostly affiliated with the Fidesz party of the prime minister, Viktor Orbán.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/13/viktor-orbans-political-allies-in-hungary-in-sights-of-us-sanctions?CMP=twt_a-world_b-gdnworld
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

Good. I saw a rumour that Hungary will quietly accept air transfers of military equipment to Ukraine through their air space which if true means they are scared and trying to patch things up without having to abandon the pro-Putin pose.

HVC

Hungary itself doesn't get any money from he US right? So I guess a lot of rich Hungarians have not so clean money sitting in the states.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zanza

Quote from: Legbiter on April 14, 2023, 10:31:55 AMSeems the morons have exhausted US patience.

QuoteA bipartisan group in Congress is drafting US sanctions that would target leading Hungarian political figures tied to the Orbán government, as the relationship between the two countries continues to spiral downwards.

The sanctions bill would name former officials and government supporters, mostly affiliated with the Fidesz party of the prime minister, Viktor Orbán.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/13/viktor-orbans-political-allies-in-hungary-in-sights-of-us-sanctions?CMP=twt_a-world_b-gdnworld

Good. The setup of the EU was never designed for this situation, so US sanctions help, as the EU itself is bsrely able to do anything as long as Poland protects Hungary.