News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Sheilbh is right but is diaspora the right word? (honest grammar question). Those people across the border are runic Hungarians, descendants of ethnic Hungarians who never moves anywhere after finding themselves on the wrong side of the new "national" borders created in Trianon.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on August 07, 2022, 09:07:34 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 07, 2022, 08:55:21 AMIs Hungary leaving the EU even a remote theoretical possibility? :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

FU
I thought you were British now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on August 21, 2022, 04:32:37 PMSheilbh is right but is diaspora the right word? (honest grammar question). Those people across the border are runic Hungarians, descendants of ethnic Hungarians who never moves anywhere after finding themselves on the wrong side of the new "national" borders created in Trianon.
Fair point.

Not sure there is really a word I can think of - tried to get some of it with people the borders have moved around but I'm not sure there's a single word in English for it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

So how does it work if you're a born in Budapest Hungarian who then moves to Slovakia?- do you need to be in the ethnic Hungarian areas or have heritage in there or its just open to you just the same?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on August 22, 2022, 06:08:26 AMSo how does it work if you're a born in Budapest Hungarian who then moves to Slovakia?- do you need to be in the ethnic Hungarian areas or have heritage in there or its just open to you just the same?

I think its by geography so you if you live in Slovakia you can just mail in your vote.

It's also worth noting that I absolutely do not trust this regime's handling of mail in ballots, even votes taken at embassies. The leaders of this regime, when it falls, will go to prison and this has been the case for at least 8 years now. They would be absolute fools not to cheat at every opportunity they get, and with the election authority (overseen by their stooge) having confirmed they do not monitor the gathering and processing of mail-in ballots until they land with them, this is a prime ground for cheating and fraud.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on August 22, 2022, 07:41:11 AMThe leaders of this regime, when it falls, will go to prison

:lol: I admire your optimism. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Let me dream. :( But its definitely a risk they are running. There are hundreds of millions of euros worth of money they stole even according to laws they changed. It's control of the attorney general's office which keeps them protected.

Tamas

So with the whole state budget crumbling and schools are instructed to present plans to adopt burning firewood to heat classrooms (just to give an example of the state of the country), the government has made an offer to buy Vodafone's Hungarian company, which Vodafone has accepted. In their words: they did not seek to sell but the offer was too good to refuse.

The purchase is going to be done half by the state, and half by one of the companies of Orban's human wallet. They are together paying close to 2 billion euros.

That is a staggering amount of money and in any country which has not fallen to total resignation, there would be street protests at the reckless abandon at which tax payer money is burned on powerplays and corruption instead of financing very basic state functions which are faltering across the board.

Tamas

20th August is a big national holiday, sort of like our 4th of July. Although this year Orban decided not to break his holiday in Croatia because of it so there is that.

It is customary to hold a big fireworks in Budapest on the night of the 20th. In 2006 5 people died when a massive storm descended on the large crowds watching.

So you can excuse the government for cancelling the event half a day before its start last weekend, based on the National Weather Service warning of a high chance of storm.

But then there wasn't even rain,  even though pretty severe storms went through the country the night before.

After a day of concentrated and intense outrage by the various pro government media, the leadership of the weather service has been fired this morning by the relevant Minister.

Tamas

Sheilbh

First country to cut a deal with Putin post-invasion, obviously :(
QuoteZoltan Kovacs
@zoltanspox
BREAKING: Hungary signs contract with @GazpromEN  about max. 5.8 million m3 extra natural gas on a daily basis, on top of the contract quantity already in force. Hungary's energy supply is safe.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2022, 03:19:04 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 31, 2022, 03:16:38 PM
QuoteHungary's energy supply is safe.

Is it though?

As long as they grovel enough and Putin is in the mood to honour the contract, sure.

Must have cost an arm and a leg too as the price isn't disclosed.

Then again the gas supply is channeled through one of the oligarc companies so maybe they hide the price because its so cheap.

Sheilbh

And I can see it being very much in Putin's interests to show that if you cut a deal with him, he'll turn the gas on - at least until he needs to pressure you again.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

QuoteHungary is no longer a full democracy, says European parliament
MEPs back resolution stating country led by Viktor Orbán has become 'hybrid regime of electoral autocracy'

Hungary can no longer be considered a full democracy, the European parliament has said in a powerful symbolic vote against Viktor Orbán's government.

In a resolution backed by 81% of MEPs present to vote, the parliament stated that Hungary had become a "hybrid regime of electoral autocracy", citing a breakdown in democracy, fundamental rights and the rule of law.

While the vote has no practical effect, it heightens pressure on EU authorities in Brussels not to disburse billions in EU cash to Hungary that is being withheld over concerns about corruption.

Hungary is battling to persuade the European Commission to release €4.64bn in Covid recovery funds, frozen for more than a year. Budapest is also trying to stave off a separate legal procedure that could lead to deductions from €24.3bn of cohesion funds, money for infrastructure and economic development.

The European Commission is expected to propose cutting 70% of Hungary's cohesion funds on Sunday, but will also open the door to a compromise, according to two MEPs familiar with discussions. "More or less what we hear is that the commission will propose ... these sanctions or financial measures," said Moritz Körner, a German MEP, who has been briefed by the commission.

In a recent internal paper, commission officials suggested there was a "very significant" risk over Hungary's management of EU funds, citing breaches in public interest rules and an unusually high number of contracts awarded to a single bidder – a red flag for transparency watchers. The paper, which has been removed from the commission's website, suggests a 70% cut in funds as "proportionate" to the risk.

Hungary will be given until mid-November to get its house in order. After a charm offensive in Brussels, Hungary's government is expected next week to propose a raft of laws to combat corruption. Critics fear the commission is ready to accept cosmetic changes to defuse the conflicts over EU funds.

"The commission has made a half-hearted deal with the Hungarian government on the kind of change they want to see," said Daniel Freund, a German Green MEP, also briefed on the commission's plans. "There is a very short timeframe and ... to expect that the damage that Orbán has done with [his] constitutional majority over 12 years, can now be repaired in a matter of weeks, or a couple of months, I think is optimistic to put it mildly."

Orbán has been in office since 2010 and held a two-thirds parliamentary majority for much of this time.

A European Commission spokesperson declined to comment, but said it was analysing "the remedial measures" submitted by Hungary and had until 21 September to determine the next step.

The European parliament's resolution, which points to "the risks of clientelism, favouritism and nepotism in high-level public administration", however, will make any climbdown on the protection of EU funds more difficult.

Gwendoline Delbos-Corfield, the French MEP who drafted the resolution, described the conclusions as clear and irrevocable. "Hungary is not a democracy. It was more urgent than ever for the parliament to take this stance, considering the alarming rate at which the rule of law is backsliding in Hungary."

She added that "the large majority of MEPs supporting this position in the European parliament is unprecedented". Of the 534 MEPs present for the vote in Strasbourg, 433 voted in favour, 123 against and 28 abstained.

Responding to the vote, Hungary's chief spokesman Zoltán Kovács said the European Parliament "would do better do focus on energy prices that have tripled and quadrupled due to the failed sanctions," reprising his government's critique of the EU's restrictive measures against Russia.

The large majority was aided by Orbán's decision in 2021 to quit the political family of Europe's centre-right, the European People's party (EPP). The EPP had previously offered Hungary's Fidesz party some protection from critical votes, but Orbán withdrew his party before it was pushed out by centre-right MEPs.

The vote comes almost exactly four years after MEPs voted to trigger disciplinary action against Hungary, a decision that ultimately lies in the hands of the 26 other EU member states, who have mostly shown little appetite for conflict with Budapest.

MEPs, who have no power to deny funds to Hungary, have blamed the EU council of ministers and the European Commission for alleged inaction, a point made clear in the resolution. The MEPs expressed "deep regret that the lack of decisive EU action has contributed to a breakdown in democracy, the rule of law and fundamental rights in Hungary, turning the country into a hybrid regime of electoral autocracy".

The parliament's damning conclusion was based on reports from bodies belonging to the Council of Europe, as well as case law from the EU's court of justice and the separate European court of human rights.

MEPs also cited the verdict of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), which reported in April that Hungary's election that returned Orbán to power for a fourth straight term was "marred by the absence of a level playing field". The OSCE sent a fully fledged mission to Hungary, an almost unprecedented step for an EU member state.

The report also noted the concerns of Hungarian judges over judicial independence in their country, after numerous changes by the Orbán government, including the appointment of supreme court judges outside normal procedures.

The measure was opposed by MEPs from Eurosceptic and far-right parties. In a statement included in the draft resolution, they argued the conclusions were "based on subjective opinions and politically biassed statements" that reflected "vague concerns, value judgments and double standards".

These MEPs also claimed that the report was based on "cases that were settled a long time ago by the responsible bodies, or which concern issues that form part of public debate and belong to the sole competence of member states".