News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Well I guess if I ever despair at the idiocy of Texas schools I can always be happy my kids don't have: "Why killing the Jews was good: Essays by Hungarian literary heroes" as a required textbook.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2020, 08:24:15 PM
Well I guess if I ever despair at the idiocy of Texas schools I can always be happy my kids don't have: "Why killing the Jews was good: Essays by Hungarian literary heroes" as a required textbook.

Always is a long word.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Tamas, papers here report that Orban is presenting a law to parliament that would allow him to extend the state of emergency indefinitely, and basically permit him to rule per decree?

Any truth to that? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

Netanyahu is doing the same thing in Israel.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on March 22, 2020, 03:44:59 PM
Tamas, papers here report that Orban is presenting a law to parliament that would allow him to extend the state of emergency indefinitely, and basically permit him to rule per decree?

Any truth to that? :unsure:

Yes it is true. It grants such sweeping powers that even the Fidesz-written cinstituon requires a 4/5th majority of Parliament to accept it. But also, if there is no such support than a second vote a week later will only require a 2/3rd majority which they do have.

The opposition declared they will only agree to this with a clear deadline in place. They have been then labelled as traitors and the government declared they are just going to get it on the second vote.

There are some proper scary parts in the bill like 5 years prison for scaremongering which includes among other things "presenting a fact in a way that induces panic in the general population"

I guess Orbán doesn't want a good pandemic go to waste.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Solmyr on March 23, 2020, 04:48:30 AM
Despite the fact that, from what I understand, he's squatting in office.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2020, 05:28:15 AM

Well he won't be ousted after gaining emergency powers, duh.

The Brain

:x
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on March 23, 2020, 05:35:35 AM

Well he won't be ousted after gaining emergency powers, duh.
Yeah I'm concerned at the leaders who seem to be sort of enjoying the ability to close borders and take loads of authoritarian powers.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Fun fact: Hitler also submitted the bill giving him extraordinary powers on the 23rd of March :P

celedhring

Yeah, can't think of a better moment for authoritarian asshatery like this one. Heck, even protesting on the streets is a bad idea because of the virus.

Syt

So it looks like Orban's Ermächtigungsgesetz just passed.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

It is pretty clear that all the good sense went to the Austrian half of the Empire.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Orban gets to decide when the crisis is over....no time limit for the exceptional powers  :mad:

Razgovory

Why the fuck would anyone agree to that?  Why would a legislative body effectively vote itself out of existence, or at least relevance?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017