News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 11, 2017, 02:36:38 AM
When we talk about free movement it is usually in the context of the host nations. I'm equally interested in what happens in what one might call the "donor" nations.

So Hungary has a nasty small-minded government. It is also a relatively poor part of the EU. One has to wonder what proportion of the bright, liberal-minded and well-educated youth leave in disgust. It makes it easier for Orban to run the place but is pretty disastrous for Hungary of course.

The worst case of this in the EU is probably Bulgaria, which is experiencing demographic collapse. Apparently the overwhelming majority of new doctors, for example, simply leave http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25014725

It is twisted and sad what an incredible asset the EU has turned out to be for dictator wannabees like Orban. I think it is a major factor that potentially as much as 600 thousand motivated, educated Hungarians (plus me, as well) are now working and living abroad. If Hungary went with the classic autocratic method of closing them in, I am convinced there would be big unrest in the country.

And on the other hand the massive EU funding  the country receives has allowed not only the raising of a totally new class of oligarchs personally in the pocket of Orban, but also has kept the country afloat despite incredible structural problems, ineptitude and rampant corruption.

Tamas

Also, it is a bit heartbreaking that chanting "Europe" and the waving/planting of the EU flag are now a signs of anti-government protest, in an EU member state.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on April 11, 2017, 04:04:42 AM
Also, it is a bit heartbreaking that chanting "Europe" and the waving/planting of the EU flag are now a signs of anti-government protest, in an EU member state.

Waving the Spanish flag is a sign of anti-government protest in certain parts of Spain, so it's not that worrisome imho.

That said, I've always wondered about Orban's anti-EU rethoric when he depends so much on EU's redistributive policies. I guess he's aware the EU isn't likely to call his bluff. The underlying issue here is that there's actually pretty little that the EU can do to compel a misbehaving member nation - besides cutting funding, which is something the EU has been *very* hesitant to do. Despite what Brexiteer hysterics might suggest, member nations are very much sovereign.

Tamas

As the sign of times, the leadership of 3 big universities in Hungary have.... warned their students, one way or the other, to refrain from supporting CEU, and keep their heads down in the interest of their own universities.

I have read several commenters discussing how the country has a worse atmosphere than the 80s... In the 80s, late 80s especially they had the same kind of fear to talk openly in universities, state-owned workplaces etc. but it was thawing quickly and everyone felt things were coming to an end. Now they have the feeling the "better keep my mouth shut" times are only starting.

Valmy

I presume he means it is being gentrified. Back in the day you could live in former East Berlin for cheap.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Two poor idiots tried to throw paint at the Presidential building last night. Mostly just poured paint on some police officers though.

One was arrested on the spot, he is a regular on protests. He was on probation and the building is heritage one so he is probably screwed.

The other guy was not taken there, he went home with his girlfriend. Then around 2AM 7(!) police officers came for him. His girlfriend has not been able to talk to him since.

Tamas

Also I'd like to point out, when you create such an incident on anti-government protest, the police turns up to grab you from your home 2-3 hours after the fact, based only on getting your face on camera.

When a bunch of bald gorillas physically prevented an opposition MP from filing a referendum request with the corresponding office, the same police declared after some months that they were not able to identify and find any of the men.

Tamas

Interesting episode amidst the recent protests.

A reggae-singer ultra-hippy guy threw some water-based paint on the Soviet soldiers memorial in the middle of Budapest. It was in solidarity of two other protesters who were still arrested at the time for doing the same with the presidential palace (they have been released since then, sentenced to 500 hours of public work, which BTW is more severe punishment for a stunt like this than what some people got for it in 1989 from the communists).

So anyways, the reggae guy (sitting above on the right) got released with a fairly minor fine. Of course, there was a bit of a debate about his actions. Sure, the government is quickly becoming a Russian satellite like in the old days but maybe the memorial of fallen soldiers is not the best target for protests.

Well, I can tell you who definitely felt like it was a bad idea: Magomed, the Chechen talking mountain living in Budapest, who found reggae guy and had him apologise in a Youtube video:

The video unfortunately has been made private since then, but it started with Magomed speaking in Russian telling how they "took action to find this citizen, and talk to him" they had a "discussion" and "convinced him" that he should apologise. Which then the guy did in English on the video.

I have read this has been a common Chechen way of operating with critics in Russia, i.e. sending muscular men to have conversations with the person who got out of line one way or the other, until they publicly show remorse.

So yeah, now not only Hungarian politics LOOK like Russian one, we actually have Russians coming over to do some Russian-style bullying as well.

The Larch

Who's that Magomed guy and what's a Chechen thug like he apparently is doing in Hungary?

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on April 21, 2017, 04:29:57 AM
Who's that Magomed guy and what's a Chechen thug like he apparently is doing in Hungary?

He is a nobody, I mean he has not made any public appearances before. He just allegedly lives in Budapest.

Maybe he bought his stay in the visa-for-bonds program like thousands of other Russian, Chinese, and Middle Eastern shady characters. :)

Tamas

Hippy guy has shed more light on the story in a newspaper interview.

He said Magomed found him via the Internet, they had a "nice chat" and he did not feel threatened.

Magomed, however, informed him that his action caused big upheaval in the Russian community, and not all of them are as understanding as he is: he suggested making that apology-video, to prevent hippy guy and his family from coming under danger.

Meanwhile, another paper investigated Magomed a bit: he seems to be a Chechen asylum seeker from 2004. He has a Hungarian wife and is running a vodka import business, importing from his uncle's vodka factory in Russia.

He was also once in a radio interview, about two years ago where he bragged how "them" (I guess Russian patriots in Hungary) have a friend in Parliament. Later he kinda' retreated from that claim saying it was an old guy who worked in the building but not anymore.

The Brain

It would be so fucking cool to have a friend who was in Parliament. :cool:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: The Brain on April 22, 2017, 07:38:32 AM
It would be so fucking cool to have a friend who was in Parliament. :cool:

well, we know someone who knows the ambassador. Nearly there.

Tamas

A Russian guy who works at their embassy in Budapest handed over proof to the press that this Magomed guy was freaking out on a private Russian Facebook group initially, declaring that "people like this should be maimed and recorded on camera so others learn from their lesson. This piece of crap has not deal with Russians before. I'd teach him a lesson. PEOPLE, HELP ME FIND HIM!"

He only calmed down after encountering hippy guy's willingness to discuss and repent.