News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The EU thread

Started by Tamas, April 16, 2021, 08:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

:lol:  What an apt summary of the country.

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 20, 2024, 06:03:45 PMIt's also a mix of European parliamentary families with ECR groups (FdI, PiS, Vox, Swedish Democrats) and ID (Chega, Le Pen, AfD). Meloni de facto leads the ECR which the EPP is increasingly open to working with as a "respectable" far-right (they're not "populist", which seems to mean not explicitly anti-Europe, pro-Ukraine and not causing issues for the Euro) v the ID group which is still perceived as more problematic.
Le Pen has broken up with AfD as the AfD is too Nazi even for them.

Sheilbh

I think they're both still in ID in the European Parliament, but those groups don't always really have a party line (even by EP standards).

But yeah in a way it's interesting who is and isn't invited and, except for Orban, it's an interestingly South America and Southern European group.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

It's news from today. The RN said adieu after the last comments by AfD top candidate Krah on how the Waffen SS was not completely criminal.

Edit: They are basically developing in opposite direction. Le Pen wants to be a "respectable" right populist like Meloni. The AfD wants to be the NSDAP.

Sheilbh

Interesting - wonder if it will be more than Le Pen who will move into ECR and that will be the split of a "respectable" far-right v ID?

(Although I always add my comment here that FdI is from a literal post-fascist party founded by Social Republic dead enders who, on the streets, still hold events mourning "fallen comrades" giving fascist salutes. She is not "populist" - I think she's more dangerous. Even if it appears her party and others associated with it are increasingly ushered in as respectable Europeans like the EPP or SD or RE.)

Edit: Also interesting how the boundaries matter on that side of politics - Farage would always express "admiration" for Le Pen for changing the party after her father but always refuse to sit in a party with her. It sounds similar.
Let's bomb Russia!