News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2011

Started by Brazen, March 09, 2011, 06:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Down to 98 now, which means a net loss of about 6KG since I started out in the beginning of October.

I tried my first 90 minute session this sunday, with 30m Spinning + 60m BodyPump and while I thought I would vomit at several points during the Pump, it went well.

Combination classes are more grueling than the sum of their parts, since the endorfin high from the first class gives an inflated confidence about the energy level for the second class and the result is typically an over-eagerness to put on resistance.

A full 50% of my training is now Spinning, with Pump and CT making up the bulk of the rest. I want to approach 90 before I scale the cardio back and start hitting the weights at which point, ironically, I think the goal will be to get back up to 100-105.  :D

mongers

Knocked up a 'pub bike' out of an old frame and some bits and pieces I had lying around, managed to do just over 1,000 miles on it during the last two calender months, quite good value for money.

But now that winters on us I desperately need to put on some weight, have managed to add 7 lbs in the last two weeks, now up to 11 stone 9 lbs.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

What, I've just weighed myself and I'm back down to 156 lbs, how did that happen.  :huh:

Drakken

Quote from: mongers on December 09, 2011, 10:12:29 PM
What, I've just weighed myself and I'm back down to 156 lbs, how did that happen.  :huh:

Weight can fluctuate several times during the day, even sometimes up to five pounds depending on the body needs.

If you weight yourself again and you confirm that you actually lost weight when you shouldn't, it's because your calorie intake was consistently lower than maintenance, or your balance sucks, or that you have a tenia in your stomach. On times that I work out I have to eat about 500 calories more than rest days to keep up with my diet,and that's only after about an hour of resistance training with a little cardio.

mongers

Quote from: Drakken on December 09, 2011, 10:20:28 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 09, 2011, 10:12:29 PM

Weight can fluctuate several times during the day, even sometimes up to five pounds depending on the body needs.

If you weight yourself again and you confirm that you actually lost weight when you shouldn't, it's because your calorie intake was consistently lower than maintenance, or your balance sucks, or that you have a tenia in your stomach. On times that I work out I have to eat about 500 calories more than rest days to keep up with my diet,and that's only after about an hour of resistance training with a little cardio.

Thanks for that, unfortunately I don't calorie count.

mongers

So given we've a new fitness thread for the coming year, is it not time for us to look back on our aims and achievement for this year ? :unsure:

On the whole I'm pretty happy, allowing for my age, I'm probably as fit as I've been on three or four other occasions in my life.  :)

Maladict

The only thing I've managed is going to spinning class regularly, mainly because I get to be the instructor now and then.
Otherwise I haven't accomplished shit. Next year must be better if I want to hold off the inevitable decline.

Brazen

Just rounding off the year by saying I've rejoined my running club starting January as I'm finding my self-motivation flagging this time of year. I made the mistake of e-mailing my old coach to tell her and she's invited me along to a Christmas Eve run at 9am and a New Year's 5K at 10am. Sadist1

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on December 21, 2011, 11:10:03 AM
Just rounding off the year by saying I've rejoined my running club starting January as I'm finding my self-motivation flagging this time of year. I made the mistake of e-mailing my old coach to tell her and she's invited me along to a Christmas Eve run at 9am and a New Year's 5K at 10am. Sadist1

Brazen have you considered making exercise fun ? :unsure:

It doesn't have to be about the whole 'no pain, no gain' mantra or middle class achievement orientated.  :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on December 21, 2011, 12:44:26 PM

One might ask you the same thing. I tried watching a movie while pedaling an exercise bike. Gave up pretty quick, it was too uncomfortable.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

I'm still the lightest straight male poster (and maybe the lightest male poster of any orientation, but I reckon Sheilbh and Garbo have me beat -_- ), who does not have a serious illness.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 21, 2011, 04:43:11 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 21, 2011, 12:44:26 PM

One might ask you the same thing. I tried watching a movie while pedaling an exercise bike. Gave up pretty quick, it was too uncomfortable.

Hint Real bicycles come with a free accessory it's called the countryside.  ;)

Eddie Teach

I've been to the countryside before. As a rule, it offers less distraction than watching a movie does. But anyhow, it's the saddle wedged in one's ass that makes the experience not fun. That's a common factor to both.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 21, 2011, 05:13:19 PM
I've been to the countryside before. As a rule, it offers less distraction than watching a movie does. But anyhow, it's the saddle wedged in one's ass that makes the experience not fun. That's a common factor to both.

Hint no.2 - buy a saddle thats comfortable for you.   ;)

mongers

Went for a quick 25-30mile spin around the Darset countryside, amazing how quickly one loses condition.  :hmm: