News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[PC] Vainglory of Nations

Started by Syt, April 12, 2009, 04:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Norgy on April 12, 2009, 01:48:17 PM
I like how all the cities have little gardens on the left and all the houses on the right. I am sure that it was how cities were back then. Neat and ordered.
:lmfao:

Let's play the game further and note that ports don't have any fields at all.  I am sure that the people in ports ate only fish.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Huh.  Top hats look like a major resource.  There is so much about the period I don't understand.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2009, 02:36:44 PM
Huh.  Top hats look like a major resource.  There is so much about the period I don't understand.
I suspect that the problem with your understanding does not lie in the period, if you think "top hats look like a major resource."  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

I want to rape France with Prussians. Then play France and rape prussia. Then play America and cheat my way to world domination.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Norgy

Remember to trade top hats for colonies.

garbon

Quote from: Norgy on April 13, 2009, 03:39:36 PM
Remember to trade top hats for colonies.

My top hat can kick your top hat's ass.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on April 12, 2009, 04:34:04 PM
I suspect that the problem with your understanding does not lie in the period, if you think "top hats look like a major resource."  :lol:

It's clear enough if you look at the top bar.  All the major resources of the Victorian period are covered (from left to right):  upside-down twinkies; top hats; cow droppings; leg irons; armed wooden boxes; and soldiers subjects to Don't Ask Don't Tell. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Norgy

I thought the far left one was two-by-fours, but your explanation is more plausible and fits better within the timeframe.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 14, 2009, 08:53:46 AM
It's clear enough if you look at the top bar.  All the major resources of the Victorian period are covered (from left to right):  upside-down twinkies; top hats; cow droppings; leg irons; armed wooden boxes; and soldiers subjects to Don't Ask Don't Tell.
Anyone with any knowledge of the period would recognize the second icon (cash+playing pieces) as standing for "Monopoly games."  The "scramble for Scrabble" was yet to come, and only a few nations had the wherewithal to colonize territories where Monopoly plantations were likely to be successful (the Monopoly tree was notorious for needing just the right amount of rain).

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on April 14, 2009, 11:22:50 AM
Anyone with any knowledge of the period would recognize the second icon (cash+playing pieces) as standing for "Monopoly games."  The "scramble for Scrabble" was yet to come, and only a few nations had the wherewithal to colonize territories where Monopoly plantations were likely to be successful (the Monopoly tree was notorious for needing just the right amount of rain).

Always the school teacher, never the pupil. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

ulmont

Quote from: Syt on September 09, 2009, 01:06:24 PM
Finally a new screenshot. :)

For 5 months' work, the interface doesn't seem to have changed much?

Syt

Quote from: ulmont on September 09, 2009, 01:14:55 PM

I think most resources are currently going into Rise of Prussia which will be released first.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ancient Demon

I want this, but I don't want to get my hopes up. I'm worried it might be too bloated.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on September 09, 2009, 01:18:46 PM
Quote from: ulmont on September 09, 2009, 01:14:55 PM

I think most resources are currently going into Rise of Prussia which will be released first.

All those valuable hat resources.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017