News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

I would rather have a shot at the NC every couple of years.  Of course as a Ducks fan I would be happy with a shot at the NC every decade or so.

Oregon's schedule was like that for quite a while.  One year they played all the good teams at home, the next they were on the road; though the teams in question seemed to change around year to year. 

I am still trying to figure out how the PAC-12 schedule will work out in the future.  I know they play 8 of the 12 teams each year (always their 5 divisions mates (UW, WSU, CAl Stanford and OSU for the Ducks) and new teams from the other division rotate in/out every two years.  Oregon didn't play UCLA or Utah in the regular season so they will move into the schedule in 2013, not sure who we lose.

katmai

All i know is Huskies might have the toughest first six games in Nation....and that is with a game vs Portland St thrown in.
With LSU, Stanford, Oregon and USC all expected to be in top 12 in rankings, not to mention a tough SDSU team too.
Sept. 1    SAN DIEGO STATE    
Sept. 8    at LSU    
Sept. 15    PORTLAND STATE    
Sept. 27    STANFORD    
Oct. 6    at Oregon    
Oct. 13    USC
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

This isn't exactly football only but I couldn't think of anywhere else to put it.

USC won the men's tennis championship giving the Pac-10(12) their 450th national championship, more than any other conference.  Also the Pac-10(12) has led the nation in NCAA Championships in 45 of last 51 years and has a very good chance of making it 46 out of 52 this year.

http://pac-12.org/ABOUT/PacNews/Tabid/905/Article/156258/Pac-12-Nets-450th-NCAA-Championship.aspx

Valmy

That is an impressive achievement considering the fact the eastern schools tend to have more varsity sports.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

USC, UCLA and Stanford have quite impressive programs all around. But they also have lots of students and money, so hardly Davids against eastern Goliaths.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 23, 2012, 03:23:33 PM
USC, UCLA and Stanford have quite impressive programs all around. But they also have lots of students and money, so hardly Davids against eastern Goliaths.

I meant they do not compete for national titles in things like Field Hockey, not that they were not goliaths of awesomeness.

But looking at it Stanford does indeed compete in a huge number of varsity sports.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Apparently Alabama has a grand total of 6 NCAA sanctioned national championships(all in women's gymnastics)  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2012, 03:09:37 PM
That is an impressive achievement considering the fact the eastern schools tend to have more varsity sports.

As you mention after this, PAC-12 schools have a LOT of varsity sports.  Stanford is #1 in sports played by quite a margin, IIRC, and USC  (or is it UCLA?) is/was #2.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 23, 2012, 03:45:43 PM
Apparently Alabama has a grand total of 6 NCAA sanctioned national championships(all in women's gymnastics)  :lol:

I wonder if they oversign in women's gymnastics, too?  :secret:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: katmai on May 22, 2012, 09:55:54 PM
All i know is Huskies might have the toughest first six games in Nation....and that is with a game vs Portland St thrown in.
With LSU, Stanford, Oregon and USC all expected to be in top 12 in rankings, not to mention a tough SDSU team too.
Sept. 1    SAN DIEGO STATE    
Sept. 8    at LSU    
Sept. 15    PORTLAND STATE    
Sept. 27    STANFORD    
Oct. 6    at Oregon    
Oct. 13    USC

SDSU is a bunch of pushovers - even UWYO has beaten them twice in a row.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

OttoVonBismarck

I'm hearing more talk in the past few days from Texas fans that the Big XII bringing in some selection from: FSU/Clemson/GT/Miami/VT is extremely likely to happen. To me, you combine that with the bowl deal the Big 12 signed to play the SEC champion really makes me think the ACC could be getting pushed into being what the Big East was turned into back when Miami/VT/BC left. The Big East will be turned into C-USA when the ACC comes calling for all the other acceptable Big East programs remaining that can replace.

The geography argument doesn't really matter, the Big XII is a western conference and out west distances were always big anyway. Once your travel is mostly by chartered jet I don't really know that it matters as much as people make it out. Especially when per-team revenue could be $25m in the Big XII versus $20m in the ACC.

Obviously maybe nothing happens but surprisingly to me I'm hearing that Georgia Tech is considered the most likely / most sure thing so far, with Florida State being strongly desired by the Big XII but people unsure if that will be reciprocated. If the Big XII picked up FSU, GT, Clemson and one of Miami or VT then they'd have a decent eastern division to make travel a little more reasonable and it would basically be the end of ACC as a football conference.

The ACC's problem I think is the football schools have finally realized just being able to say "we're in the same conference as DUKE!!" doesn't really mean shit in football and football is where the money is.

Valmy

Yeah I am thinking Clemson and Florida State to the Big 12 looks like it might happen.  I am not getting my hopes up but obviously this would be a pretty exciting developement for the Big 12, though it is always a little sad when a founding member like Clemson bolts a conference.  FSU, of course, is traditionally independent so that is no big deal.  And yeah Texas was already flying to anybody except Baylor and A&M before and now TCU and Baylor.

People, and by people I mean Deloss Dodds, are still talking about Notre Dame and...let me just say I will believe that crap when I see it.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2012, 09:00:47 PM
People, and by people I mean Deloss Dodds, are still talking about Notre Dame and...let me just say I will believe that crap when I see it.

That's not necessarily "crap" at all.  It could certainly happen if the playoff vote thing that's about to happen comes up with 4x conference champions instead of just the top 4, or some very similar variation of that (conference champs in the top 6, etc).   

E:  And the per team revenue in the ACC isn't even $20m, sadly enough, even though it includes all three tiers.  It was something like $17 million, except there were really long term escalators (longer than what is in most of these sorts fo things, it seems) in there that means they wouldn't actually get that full 17 until 2021 or some such.  Next year, they're only looking at a boost to $14m (up from $13m) each.  I'll have to look it up again for specifics.  It was a pretty bad deal though. 

dps

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 23, 2012, 09:26:14 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2012, 09:00:47 PM

That's not necessarily "crap" at all.  It could easily happen if the playoff vote thing that's about to happen comes up with 4x conference champions instead of just the top 4, or some very similar variation of that (conference champs in the top 6, etc).   

Yeah, while Notre Dame has been pretty clear that they very much want to remain independent in football, that's always been within a context in which being independent didn't keep them from potentially playing for the national championship (however mythical such a beast might be).  In fact, arguably, they have been getting a better shot at a major bowl bid under the BCS at as an independent than they would have as a member of a conference.  But if being in a playoff hinges on being a conference champion, you can bet that ND will pick a conference to join.   If it's just the top 4 teams in some rating system getting into the playoff, though, they'll stay independent unless something else happens that forces their hand.

sbr

Hey Berk what do you think of U of A's new copper football helmets?  I think I like them.  Not as good as the normal white, but not q terrible alt.

EDIT:  Here is a shitty pic