worthwhile germanic archeological sites to visit from the migration period?

Started by alfred russel, March 07, 2011, 09:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Viking

yes, the archeological remains of the permanent settlements of migrating tribes are everywhere....

the charred layers of abandoned settlements in the 5th and 6th centuries make for fascinating field trips
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Lucidor

It's a detour through time and space, but I'd recomend Plato's cave.

alfred russel

Quote from: Viking on March 08, 2011, 11:30:08 PM
yes, the archeological remains of the permanent settlements of migrating tribes are everywhere....

the charred layers of abandoned settlements in the 5th and 6th centuries make for fascinating field trips

Are there any you would recommend?

Viking

Quote from: alfred russel on March 09, 2011, 10:04:56 AM
Quote from: Viking on March 08, 2011, 11:30:08 PM

Are there any you would recommend?

Permanent Migrating Charred and Abandoned.

I'm suggesting that you should not expect there to be any.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

alfred russel

Quote from: Viking on March 09, 2011, 10:25:16 AM

FWIW, I've been to sites where the place was burnt to the ground. That is often the most interesting period: they bury things that are important to them, leave things behind that are valuable, and they don't get built on top of.

Viking

Quote from: alfred russel on March 09, 2011, 12:24:37 PM
Quote from: Viking on March 09, 2011, 10:25:16 AM

FWIW, I've been to sites where the place was burnt to the ground. That is often the most interesting period: they bury things that are important to them, leave things behind that are valuable, and they don't get built on top of.

Cities are where they are for good reasons. They usually get rebuilt leaving a thin black layer of carbon.

Migration archeology is not so much in the prevalence of sites, but rather found artifacts. As my ancestors came into norway (the romans would have called them goths) in the 3rd and 4th centuries the shift is in distribution of clearly proto-norse artifacts and south-sami artifacts. In the earliest periods south-sami artifacts are everywhere, in the middle period proto-norse artifacts are in the valley bottoms and south-sami artifacts in the hills and mountains and by the early viking period south-sami artifacts are limited to the mountains as the norse have taken over the hills as well.

So, to try and answer your question as it is intended (rather than the snide comments I made above). Go to the local or regional history museum (I'd personally recommend the one in Copenhagen) and you can see the artifacts. What is from that period is usually man portable, even grave goods are man portable. You won't find ruins. Wood houses burned and rotted and stone was recycled.

The Brain

Well to be fair there's about a shitton of old fortifications in the Swedish countryside, many of which were used and/or built at the time of the migrations. I've visited several of them.

alfred russel

Thanks Viking.

Maybe there is misunderstanding--I was asking about the migration period to denote a period of time, not actual archeology of migrations. I would think agriculture, and therefore fixed settlements, dominated. I was thinking of the archeology of those.

There seem to be a few sites they've done up for tourists, but as far as I can tell they go earlier than that period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundenbach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biskupin

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on March 09, 2011, 01:01:33 PM
Well to be fair there's about a shitton of old fortifications in the Swedish countryside, many of which were used and/or built at the time of the migrations. I've visited several of them.

That is what I was talking about.

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on March 09, 2011, 01:14:31 PM

There's about a thousand of these in total in Sweden, most of them somewhat less impressive than the one in the pic. Do you want to know more?

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on March 09, 2011, 01:21:30 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 09, 2011, 01:14:31 PM

There's about a thousand of these in total in Sweden, most of them somewhat less impressive than the one in the pic. Do you want to know more?

YES!

As someone who is interested in this stuff but not so interested to see all 1,000, or even 5, do you have any insights into the best sites? Best meaning sites where I could harrass people with questions in English, they have a nice little museum, or a site with special significance or size.