News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

Was pretty nice with John Scott winning MVP.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Jaron

And he scored two goals AND he hugged some retarded kid.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

PRC

Quote from: Jaron on January 31, 2016, 09:13:19 PM
And he scored two goals AND he hugged some retarded kid.

The kid might have been Darryl Sutter's (Kings coach) son.  Sutter brings him to all the family friendly league events.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

katmai

QuoteScott Gomez, a Onetime Rookie Star, Is Again an N.H.L. Prospect
HERSHEY, Pa. — Less than 21 hours after a game in Syracuse, and less than 17 hours after the team bus rolled back into town, Scott Gomez perched astride the boards at Giant Center, awaiting the first shift of the seventh American Hockey League game of his life.

Gomez, a 36-year-old center who was the N.H.L.'s top rookie in the 1999-2000 season, had two assists for the Hershey Bears in that game, a 5-1 win over the Syracuse Crunch here on Saturday, and the sellout crowd of 10,964, including dozens of children tooting vuvuzelas, went home happy.

"I'm not just hanging around," Gomez, his bag packed and his tie askew, said as he stood in the empty Hershey locker room afterward.

Gomez, who had 181 goals and 574 assists in his 1,066-game N.H.L. career and helped the Devils win two Stanley Cups, was waived on Dec. 30 by the St. Louis Blues, his sixth N.H.L. team. He considered retiring until the man he calls his "paid consultant" talked him out of it.

That consultant is Adam Oates, a Hall of Fame forward who coached the Washington Capitals, the Bears' N.H.L. parent club, for two seasons before returning to the Devils, with whom he was one of three coaches last season, alongside Lou Lamoriello and Scott Stevens.

Oates, 53, sees Gomez's quest this way: If Jaromir Jagr, who turns 44 on Feb. 15, can thrive with the Florida Panthers despite not being the player he once was, Gomez can find an N.H.L. spot to land — ideally as a third-line, 14-minute-a-game center who can direct a team's power play.

"I think Gomer's still got that skill," Oates said Sunday. "If he plays the right minutes and is put in the right situation, he can help somebody. There are parts of his game where he's still elite. He's an elite passer.

"You've got to get that edge back, that conditioning back. In another week or so, he can reach another level of skating, and hopefully an N.H.L. team will notice."

Gomez, who played for the Devils for seven years before signing a seven-year, $51.5 million contract with the Rangers, earned a spot with the Devils again last year after Lamoriello, the longtime general manager, promised only a tryout. Gomez had 34 points in 58 games.

Gomez said he and Lamoriello had all but agreed to a contract for this season when Lamoriello retired last May, appointing Ray Shero as his successor. Lamoriello was named Toronto's general manager in July, and both Oates and Gomez had to look for work.

"Hey, that's business," Gomez said. "There were no hard feelings."

Gomez was signed on Oct. 7 by the injury-ravaged Blues, whose assistant general manager, the former goaltender Martin Brodeur, was Gomez's teammate with the Devils. Gomez played in 21 games, recording a goal and seven assists, but was cut after injured players returned.

"I wasn't in the plan from Day 1; that's what happened," Gomez said. He added: "I knew right away I wasn't going to play more than seven or eight minutes a game. That's not the reason why I went there."

Oates had helped him set up the tryout with the Blues. As a way to prepare to coach the Capitals, Oates had become a coach with the Bears, who play 130 miles north of Washington, during the 2012-13 N.H.L. lockout. He suggested to Gomez that he could stay in shape by playing in Hershey. The Bears are the top-drawing team in the 30-club A.H.L.

"I don't want to say he convinced me," Gomez said of Oates. "But he said: 'Hey, you're still good. You've still got it.'

"And all the older players I talked to said: 'Gomer, don't. You're going to regret it,' " Gomez said of retiring.

Gomez's last game with St. Louis was on Dec. 27. He signed a professional tryout agreement with the Bears on Jan. 14 and played his first game with the team two days later.

The Bears have not lost in regulation with Gomez. His coach in Hershey, Troy Mann, said Gomez played his best game Saturday, displaying his vision, his "skill set" and his playmaking ability.

"It's very difficult for an N.H.L. player to come down here, because in the N.H.L., you know if you make a play, the guy is going to be there," Mann said, referring to a teammate who receives a pass.

Mann, a second-year coach for the Bears who played for 14 teams in his career, all in the minors, added: "That's not always a guarantee in the American League. So that's a difficult adjustment."

Wearing No. 39, the reverse of the No. 93 he wore in St. Louis, Gomez played center on Saturday on a line that included left wing Nathan Walker and right wing Riley Barber, both born on Feb. 7, 1994. Walker scored the Bears' first goal, Barber the last three. Gomez was the game's second star.

Barber said it was an honor to play with Gomez.

"I grew up watching him play for the Devils," Barber said. "It's really cool to play with someone who sees the ice so well and wants to help you. He's been playing great since he's been here. He looks great."

Although he is still trying to get back into top hockey shape, Gomez said he generally felt good. He appreciates what Oates, whom he calls hockey's Bill Belichick, has been able to do to extend his career, he said. He can even deal with the long bus rides.

"I'm still the Alaskan kid who came in," Gomez said. "Maybe the body gets a little stiffer afterward, but there's no ego. I never had an ego — that's the thing."
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jaron

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14705594/dennis-wideman-calgary-flames-banned-20-games-ref-hit

QuoteTORONTO -- Calgary Flames defenseman Dennis Wideman has been suspended 20 games for his hit on linesman Don Henderson in last week's home loss to Nashville.

The NHL Players Association filed an appeal on his behalf to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman on Wednesday evening. Wideman can then appeal further to a neutral arbitrator if the suspension is still six or more games after Bettman rules.

"We strongly disagree with the League's decision to suspend Dennis Wideman," the union said in a statement announcing the appeal. "Dennis has played in 11 NHL seasons and almost 800 games without incident. The facts, including the medical evidence presented at the hearing, clearly demonstrate that Dennis had no intention to make contact with the linesman."

:hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

aka Dennis Wideman is a dumb person. Don't get in his way?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

As of the standings right now, no Canadian team would make the playoffs this year.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

The Liberals are really hurting us :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on February 04, 2016, 10:27:17 AM
As of the standings right now, no Canadian team would make the playoffs this year.
:nelson:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 04, 2016, 10:27:17 AM
What is funny with the Habs is seeing how bipolar the media are.

From the same journalist, in less than one week interval:
"Let's not make any drastic move, Bergevin has a plan, Therrien must remain in place until Carrey Price is back"
5 days later, after two consecutive defeats against Columbus:
"Let's fire the coach, trade half the players and see from there if we need another move".

I almost pity the Habs fans.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jaron

Hockey is more of an American sport nowadays.