News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on April 24, 2013, 02:20:14 PM
It's not the Canadiens or the Leafs, it's not a team with a long tradition.  The original Jets started around '79, I think? Same time as the Nordiques when the AHL folded into the NHL?

:ultra:

Jets (and Nords) go back to 1972! The WHA counts!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 24, 2013, 03:16:59 PM
That is the main problem.  People are way too quick to drink the cool aid and buy into the narrative that this is what we do.  Fact is more kids here play soccer and basketball then they play hockey.  And it is a very large margin when we look at soccer.

If you guys keep approaching the sport as if it were some kind of cult it is never going to clean up its act.  And until that day comes it is always going to be a sport only for the fanatics.
Yeah, kids play soccer and basketball when they're kids, but nobody watches much soccer or basketball on the TV.  This isn't new.  It was the same way when I was a boy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on April 24, 2013, 04:50:15 PM
Yeah, kids play soccer and basketball when they're kids, but nobody watches much soccer or basketball on the TV.  This isn't new.  It was the same way when I was a boy.

And if the CBC covered soccer and basketball the way they cover hockey we would watch that too.  Probably in bigger numbers.  The main problem with watching sports other than hockey in this country is it is hard to get the games.  I have to subscribe to a specialty channel to watch what I want.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 24, 2013, 04:54:55 PM
And if the CBC covered soccer and basketball the way they cover hockey we would watch that too.  Probably in bigger numbers.  The main problem with watching sports other than hockey in this country is it is hard to get the games.  I have to subscribe to a specialty channel to watch what I want.
Not really.  Lots of people have basic cable.  And soccer and basketball would still be pretty boring.  TSN and Sportsnet cover hockey because hockey is what people want to see.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Basketball (and soccer) can certainly be found on the tv dial.  They just get terrible ratings (though top European soccer games are growing in their ratings).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

My semi annual foray into this thread is now over.

Josephus

Nonsense. Soccer is widely available on TSN and Sportsnet. They draw lower numbers than curling.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 24, 2013, 06:02:48 PM

Maybe this fall, you should try to convince us to like Basketball by promoting it instead of simply saying you are superior because you like & understand basketball.

Psss, no transition game = boring.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on April 24, 2013, 06:06:00 PM

Nonsense. Soccer is widely available on TSN and Sportsnet. They draw lower numbers than curling.

Both are specialty channels that need to be purchased in addition to basic cable.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2013, 05:14:57 PM

Basketball (and soccer) can certainly be found on the tv dial.  They just get terrible ratings (though top European soccer games are growing in their ratings).

You know not of what you speak.  In order to watch NBA games I have to by the NBA specialty channel.  Also even with a basketball specialty channel I still cant watch all the games and I cant watch any college games during the week.  I am restricted to watching whatever the US networks put up during the weekend.

HVC

i can't watch college or minor hockey games either, so that's not the best example. and i get a bunch of nba games, i just have no will to watch them. Baseball is at least fun to watch live. i can't imagine basketball would even achieve that, but i haven't tried so maybe i'm wrong there.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 24, 2013, 07:09:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 24, 2013, 06:02:48 PM

Maybe this fall, you should try to convince us to like Basketball by promoting it instead of simply saying you are superior because you like & understand basketball.

Psss, no transition game = boring.

pfft, you guys are hopeless when it comes to appreciating true sport

Neil

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on April 24, 2013, 07:31:30 PM
i can't watch college or minor hockey games either, so that's not the best example. and i get a bunch of nba games, i just have no will to watch them. Baseball is at least fun to watch live. i can't imagine basketball would even achieve that, but i haven't tried so maybe i'm wrong there.

No, you dont get the point.  US college basketball is generally considered the best kind of basketball to watch on TV.  That is not the case for hockey. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on April 24, 2013, 07:32:40 PM
TSN is basic cable.

Not the sportsnet channel that shows most of the soccer games...