Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

If you break down Weber's offer :

He gets 1 mil in salary, 13 mil in SB for the first 4 years
Year 5 and 6 have a 4 mil salary & 8 mil in SB
Year 7 thru 10 are 6 mil salary no SB
Year 11 is 3 mil salary no SB
Year 12 thru 14 are 1 mil salary no SB.

No one signing these long contract will play pass their 38th-39th birthday.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

How do signing bonuses effect the cap?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

They count against it but they are not subject to rollbacks and are guaranteed.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on July 19, 2012, 12:05:41 PM
How do signing bonuses effect the cap?

Signing bonues get counted against the cap, but I did read that potentially because so much of the deal is SBs, not salary, it may impact what compensation Nashville gets for signing a RFA.  It's a difference between 4 1st round picks, and 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on July 19, 2012, 11:53:14 AM
I think they do it because they know that most off the GMs signing these deals won't be around by the time these contracts go sour.
And that perhaps the team won't be there.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on July 19, 2012, 02:09:35 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 19, 2012, 11:53:14 AM
I think they do it because they know that most off the GMs signing these deals won't be around by the time these contracts go sour.
And that perhaps the team won't be there.

Philly isn't going anywhere...

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on July 19, 2012, 11:21:56 AM
Offer sheets are so rare in the NHL it's pretty much assumed that owners have just colluded and agreed not to use them.

But Philly just blew up that little gentleman's agreement, giving Shea Weber a 14 year, $110 million dollar offer sheet, that would pay him $14mil in the first few years.  The speculation is that the deal is just so heavily front-loaded that however much they might want to, Nashville will be simply unable to afford that salary (the deal is structured so the overall cap hit isn't that bad, but in terms of actual cash heading out the door).

Can't see how this helps the owners at the CBA talks though. :hmm:

Nashville matched it though no?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Neil

Quote from: katmai on July 26, 2012, 06:06:23 PM
So heard that  Tim Thomas supported the Chick-fil-A folks
Well, that man loves to be a contrarian.  He's also in a sport that's famous for their lack of tolerance for gays.  Still, I think he just torched any endorsement contracts he might have had, until he wins another championship.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Columbus traded Nash to the Rangers. Oh well.

Maybe he'll put some Canadiens into that pole in the frong arena.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

The pole has been taken back about 6 inches. Not many Canadiens are tall enough to get hit by it.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PRC

I think Columbus did okay in that trade.  Every team in the league would like Dubinsky and Ansimov is pretty good, especially when he pretends his stick is a rifle and mock shoots the goalie after scoring.  Tim Erixon is a little bitch but if he decides to grow a pair and play in Columbus he might turn out to be a good player.

Barrister

Live webcam where you can watch Quebec City's new arena being built. :)

http://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/webcameras/amphitheatre.aspx

katmai

QuoteSEATTLE (AP) -- Efforts to bring the NBA back to Seattle took a giant step forward in a revised arena deal announced Tuesday, with investor Chris Hansen agreeing to kick in more money for transportation improvements near a proposed new arena, personally guaranteeing the city's debt - and offering to buy everyone a beer.

The plan for the $490 million arena, which could also host an NHL team, represents the best shot at bringing the NBA back to Seattle. The SuperSonics ended their 41-year run here in 2008 and skipped town for Oklahoma City, where they became the Thunder.

Though formal votes are still required, Tuesday's announcement effectively gave Hansen, a San Francisco hedge-fund manager, and his fellow investors, including Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and Peter and Erik Nordstrom, of the department store clan, the green light to begin shopping for an NBA team.