News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I'm looking forward to the wailing and gnashing of teeth when the young Oilers start pulling up stakes starting next year.  It's hard for the northern teams to get free agents unless they're winning.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on July 02, 2012, 11:05:28 PM
I'm looking forward to the wailing and gnashing of teeth when the young Oilers start pulling up stakes starting next year.  It's hard for the northern teams to get free agents unless they're winning.

Meh - all their young picks will only be RFAs.  But I agree - if the OIlers don't start winning, they'll all leave eventually.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Offer sheets are so rare in the NHL it's pretty much assumed that owners have just colluded and agreed not to use them.

But Philly just blew up that little gentleman's agreement, giving Shea Weber a 14 year, $110 million dollar offer sheet, that would pay him $14mil in the first few years.  The speculation is that the deal is just so heavily front-loaded that however much they might want to, Nashville will be simply unable to afford that salary (the deal is structured so the overall cap hit isn't that bad, but in terms of actual cash heading out the door).

Can't see how this helps the owners at the CBA talks though. :hmm:

HVC

Your goalies a drunk driver BB. For shame!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

and they really have to get rid of these 10 year loaded contracts. what's the point of having a cap if you can just work around it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on July 19, 2012, 11:22:50 AM
Your goalies a drunk driver BB. For shame!

:mad:  Yeah, I was Not Happy about that bit of news.  The worst of it was that it happened back in June, before he got his new contract, but he never informed the team (and I heard reports he didn't even inform his agent).  It was only when a Czech enws site reported the news that everyone found out about it.

HVC

What happens in the czech republic stays in the czech republic. it's like Vegas. but with more hookers

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on July 19, 2012, 11:24:19 AM
and they really have to get rid of these 10 year loaded contracts. what's the point of having a cap if you can just work around it.

It's what happens when you won't let the rich teams spend as much as they want.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 19, 2012, 11:40:42 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 19, 2012, 11:24:19 AM

It's what happens when you won't let the rich teams spend as much as they want.

Well I think teams are starting to regret signing these kinds of deals.  Ask Vancouver what they think of the Loungo contract.  But because they've only come about in the last 4-5 years none of them have gotten so old as to be really terrible for the teams who signed them.

HVC

But they'll keep doing it becasue there's a fear of "if i don't someone will". unless they put a cap on contract lengths. Or beter yet, for every year over 5 years on a contract you lose 1 point in the season. Make is way more risky but still have the option to do it.

Grey Fox

They might regret it but they won't stop handing them out either.

The owners said no to a 46million hard cap for 5 years back in '04. The players need to clean them dry.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on July 19, 2012, 11:48:31 AM
But they'll keep doing it becasue there's a fear of "if i don't someone will". unless they put a cap on contract lengths. Or beter yet, for every year over 5 years on a contract you lose 1 point in the season. Make is way more risky but still have the option to do it.

I think they do it because they know that most off the GMs signing these deals won't be around by the time these contracts go sour.

But seriously - how on earh is it going to work in, say 2024, when Shea Weber is in his late 30s but carries a 7.5 mil cap hit?  And because it's a contract it's not as if Philly can just cut him, and he's still earning millions so why would he voluntarily retire?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on July 19, 2012, 11:53:14 AM

I think they do it because they know that most off the GMs signing these deals won't be around by the time these contracts go sour.

But seriously - how on earh is it going to work in, say 2024, when Shea Weber is in his late 30s but carries a 7.5 mil cap hit?  And because it's a contract it's not as if Philly can just cut him, and he's still earning millions so why would he voluntarily retire?

He won't make that much. Last 3 years his salary is 1 mil.

The contract has something around 68m in Signing Bonus in the first 6 years.

HVC

They'll shift him to the front office And he'll retire because they'll pay him 8 mill to keep him off the cap.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 19, 2012, 11:55:32 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 19, 2012, 11:53:14 AM

He won't make that much. Last 3 years carry 1 mil.

The contract has something around 56m in Signing Bonus in the first 6 years.

A million per year is still millions of dollars.