News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 16, 2011, 03:44:39 PM
That's not going to sit well with Detroit, no matter the explanation.

Detroit is probably the reason they'd make no change for a year - to let them try and fight it out.

Supposedly Detroit was "promised" the first chance to move back East some 20 years ago.  However Detroit is a very good draw for a lot of teams in the Western conference (and lets be honest - a much better draw than Winnipeg for the US teams, and probably a push for the Canadian teams).  Detroit is also doing very well for itself financially. 

And on the other hand, Nashville would fit a lot better into the SE conference, and on the third hand Columbus is a struggling team that would benefit greatly from reduced travel costs and more natural rivals.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

See all the Geographic juggling?  This never would have happened in the Prince of Wales Conference.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2011, 03:18:14 PM
Why didnt all the other Canadian cities fail?
- Small market
- No salary cap
- CAN$ at 0,60$US instead of parity
- old buildings with not enough places
- general hostility from the local governments toward professional sport
- no owner willing to take a chance

Had there been a salary cap c.a. 1994, Quebec city would have stayed in the NHL beyond 1995.  I suppose it was similar thinking with Winnipeg.

Figure that team 1 in your division is playing wiht 90 million$ on ice while you're playing with 19M$.  That's a bit of a difference.
With an upper and lower limit in place, there's no more than 16 million$ difference between any team.  It makes a difference in the relative competitiveness of teams on the ice.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on May 16, 2011, 03:55:19 PM

Detroit is probably the reason they'd make no change for a year - to let them try and fight it out.

Supposedly Detroit was "promised" the first chance to move back East some 20 years ago.  However Detroit is a very good draw for a lot of teams in the Western conference (and lets be honest - a much better draw than Winnipeg for the US teams, and probably a push for the Canadian teams).  Detroit is also doing very well for itself financially. 

And on the other hand, Nashville would fit a lot better into the SE conference, and on the third hand Columbus is a struggling team that would benefit greatly from reduced travel costs and more natural rivals.

Detroit is going East. There's nothing that can stop it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 16, 2011, 04:17:05 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 16, 2011, 03:55:19 PM

Detroit is going East. There's nothing that can stop it.

It may be, but I wouldn't put money on it...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Boston - Tampa tonight.  Your predictions?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on May 17, 2011, 10:35:22 AM
Boston - Tampa tonight.  Your predictions?

My heart says Boston 564 Tampa 0

But it will probably be more like Tampa 3 Boston 1
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

I shall place my curse on Boston by saying i think they'll win.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

I no longer care about Boston since they aren't playing a Canadian team or have Miroslav Satan on the roster.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 17, 2011, 12:22:55 PM
I no longer care about Boston since they aren't playing a Canadian team or have Miroslav Satan on the roster.

Maybe next round yoiu will find a reason to cheer again.  :Canuck:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 17, 2011, 12:22:55 PM

Meh, Boston has been only annoying since Ray Bourque sold his soul.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive