And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 12, 2011, 02:21:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2011, 02:20:01 PM
Not sure why he added the "this week" part.

You got to work on your trolling skills.  That was weak.

It got a response.  That means victory.

viper37

It's funny, just checking the news, this headline caught my eye:
"TSN NOT REPORTING Winnipeg Thrashers Annoucement".

Don't know why, but I immediatly tought this anonymous Twitter source was BB :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

BB may be the "source" for all the move rumours.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on May 12, 2011, 02:30:26 PM
It's funny, just checking the news, this headline caught my eye:
"TSN NOT REPORTING Winnipeg Thrashers Annoucement".

Don't know why, but I immediatly tought this anonymous Twitter source was BB :P

:rolleyes:

If you saw even one quarter of the crap people put out over twitter - and I'm not even on twitter - I see tweets other people post on my Return Of The Jets forum.

But yeah - some jocker tweeted "NHL Reporting that an announcement will be made Friday at 1pm in front of MTS Centre".  Which then got re-tweeted everywhere.  Despite the fact TSN said no such thing (and TSN has numerous people, including Dreger, who are on Twitter).

Two weeks ago there was a massive Twitter rumour that Portage and Main was being closed on a Friday afternoon for an announcement.  It was also crap.

I make a point of only posting what actual journalists are saying - not anonymous Twitterheads.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

relax, we're all just teasing you :)

I'll be happy if Atlanta of Phoenix one day moves to Winnipeg, I just don't think it will happen this year (well, one of them is 100% sure).
I'd be happier if the team was moving to Quebec city, but hey, I don't think a city that has dress-as-a-seat nights deservers to have a team.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on May 12, 2011, 03:03:13 PM

I'll be happy if Atlanta of Phoenix one day moves to Winnipeg, I just don't think it will happen this year (well, one of them is 100% sure).
I'd be happier if the team was moving to Quebec city, but hey, I don't think a city that has dress-as-a-seat nights deservers to have a team.

You may well need to get ready to cheer for les coyotes - in 2012.

katmai

The longer it drags out less chance of the manitoban thrashers
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on May 12, 2011, 03:09:36 PM

Well, duh.

The absolute drop dead date is some time in June when the schedule hs to come out.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 12, 2011, 03:12:06 PM
Quote from: katmai on May 12, 2011, 03:09:36 PM

Well, duh.

The absolute drop dead date is some time in June when the schedule hs to come out.
Quote from: Barrister on May 12, 2011, 03:07:58 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 12, 2011, 03:03:13 PM

You may well need to get ready to cheer for les coyotes - in 2012.
Unfortunately, I fear the team will have to be rebuilt by this time, and we'll have to live through many years of misery.

Barrister

Transcript of Bill Daly AJC's Jeff Schulz

QuoteQ: Where do we stand with the Thrashers?

A: "That's more a question for [part-owner] Bruce [Levenson} than it is for me. He's the one working on trying to find new ownership for the franchise. We've been working with him closely for a number of years in efforts to sell the franchise. Those efforts are ongoing. But there is nothing that has made sense to this point."

Q: Can you guarantee the team will be in Atlanta next season?

A: "Nope. I can't guarantee that."

Q: So what are the chances of the Thrashers being relocated?

A: "I'm not into handicapping. I'm usually wrong."

Q: Can you address rumors that a franchise sale and a move to Winnipeg is pretty much done and that an announcement is imminent?

A: "There is nothing that has been done, nothing has been planned and nothing has been scheduled. Certainly, no transaction has been agreed to, not that I'm aware of."

Q: Have the Thrashers had negotiations with True North?

A: "I wouldn't comment on that. That's something you would have to ask the Thrashers about."

Q: That's not exactly a denial.

A: "But I would say the same thing even if I knew for a fact that they had not spoken to somebody. It's not my role to publicly talk to the media about who Bruce Levenson might or might not be talking to." (Note: Levenson told the AJC on Wednesday: "We are continuing to seek solutions for the Thrashers. I will not comment on any speculation."

Q: You and commissioner Gary Bettman both made frequent trips to Phoenix to speak publicly about the Coyotes staying there, but there has been no similar efforts in Atlanta. Why not?

A: "The situations are very different from a host of perspectives, but not the least of which are the bankruptcy issues we had [in Phoenix], the fight in bankruptcy court and the league having to purchase the club. There were a unique set of circumstances that required the league's presence in Glendale. The bottom line is, we owned that club."

Q: I understand that. But does that preclude you or Gary from coming to Atlanta to show support for the franchise and help the process?

A: "No, of course not. If there was some reasonable sense that a public appeal would move the process along, then something would be done. But we're not at that point."

Q: Can you understand why Atlanta hockey fans might feel like the NHL is abandoning them, especially given the league's silence?

A: "Again, what that opinion lacks is any real information as to what we have been doing over a number of years. There have been efforts to sell the club. We feel it is best that franchises not be relocated and we've made a commitment to keep franchises in the marketplace. Everything we've done with the Thrashers is consistent with that."

Q: But not to the point of guaranteeing that they will remain in Atlanta?

A: "Correct."

Q: You don't find that response in conflict with Gary saying that the NHL is committed to cities and has a covenant with fans?

A: "No, because as I just tried to explain, nobody really knows exactly what we've been doing. Good for us. But over a course of years, what we've done for the Thrashers franchise has been very consistent with what we've done for other franchises."

Ed Anger

I envy Hitler, post gunshot to the head. He doesn't have to hear about fucking Winnipeg.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 12, 2011, 04:05:07 PM
I envy Hitler, post gunshot to the head. He doesn't have to hear about fucking Winnipeg.

Then I guess you know what you must do.

Ed Anger

i told u i was hardcore
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Now I understand the ragequitting thread... He'll spend 3 days without hearing about Winnipeg, after that, his withdrawal symptoms will be too high :P

viper37

So... back to serious matters.

San Jose will clip the Wings tonight.

But Saturday...  Who do you bet on?  Boston or Tampa Bay?  I'm tempted by TB, but Boston seems strong this year.  6, 7 games, maybe?