News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

I think we should nuke winnipeg from orbit. it's the only way to b free of BB's constant pining :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on May 10, 2011, 09:16:59 PM
I'm sitting here watching the City of Glendale council meeting. :ufda:

Slow day in Alberta courtrooms? ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 11, 2011, 09:13:37 AM
Quote from: viper37 on May 11, 2011, 08:10:35 AM
It's decided now, they're staying for at least one more year.
So, you owe me a beer now  :)

Atlanta. :contract:
We betted on the Coyotes, remember.  ;)  Don't change the rules now.
If you want to double on Atlanta, though...

@GF:
Has Detroit always been in the west?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Yes. It's a complicated answer but yes.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

The Islanders are relocating....

To New York :P

Texte

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

If a team does move to Winnipeg its only fan will be living in Edmonton.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on May 11, 2011, 09:36:22 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 11, 2011, 09:13:37 AM
Quote from: viper37 on May 11, 2011, 08:10:35 AM
It's decided now, they're staying for at least one more year.
So, you owe me a beer now  :)

We betted on the Coyotes, remember.  ;)  Don't change the rules now.
If you want to double on Atlanta, though...

@GF:
Has Detroit always been in the west?

I don't think so - it was about Winnipeg getting a team...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: TSNGlendale, Winnipeg and Atlanta - The Day After: Glendale city council voted as we predicted they would and approved the city's proposal to keep the Coyotes in Glendale by covering operating losses for another season.

Discussion on the Coyotes' future in Arizona stretched to almost three hours in council chambers and included presentations from Goldwater Institute - who are still vehemently opposed to using city funds to finance the team - NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, Coyotes general manager Don Maloney, as well as a cast of 25 local residents who lined up to either support or challenge Glendale's position.

Among the more....uh, colorful speakers was an elderly gentlemen who passionately pleaded with council and the various league and GWI representatives to give him the opportunity to spearhead negotiations to get a deal done with Matt Hulsizer (or any other prospective buyers who may be lurking).

Arthur Thursters, who appears to be a regular at Glendale council meetings, proclaimed he was willing to bet his house on his ability to broker such a deal.

In light of the fact that neither the city nor the National Hockey League has been able to complete a sale to ensure the Coyotes' survival, there's no harm in listening to what Thursters has to say - which is exactly what Bill Daly intends on doing and plans on calling Thursters out of curiosity and respect for his persistence and confidence.

The 5-2 vote in favor of absorbing another year of the Coyotes' losses wasn't surprising, as city sources felt strongly going into the meeting that the proposal would pass and knew without approval that the NHL would likely exercise its right to relocation leaving Jobing.Com Arena dark on at least 41 nights per year.

"If the resolution had not passed, it obviously would have represented a major setback, Daly told The Dreger Report. "We would have had to make some tough decisions relatively quickly."

And such decisions that would have likely paved the way for a relatively smooth transition to Winnipeg, where True North and a region consumed by the obsession for the NHL's return, eagerly await the call.

Instead, while Arizona hockey fans celebrate the Coyotes' stay of execution, fans in the 'Peg' will now hang on every word and every report that encourages the Atlanta Thrashers' move north.

There is reason for such encouragement and an agreement between True North and existing Thrashers ownership could be worked out very quickly. However, this may turn into a very tricky and sensitive negotiation with few details leaked as discussions between the two groups progress.

"It's achievable," is how a source familiar with the situation describes the Atlanta to Winnipeg scenario, implying there's a chance a deal could be reached in time for next season.

If not, True North will go about its business, biding time, while working with the NHL on the potential of a relocation opportunity for the 2012-2013 season and a real possibility either Phoenix, Atlanta - or both - will still be the primary targets.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 11, 2011, 01:23:21 PM
It was about the Coyotes moving from Arizona :)  Anywhere, be it Winnipeg, Vegas, Kansas, Laval or Quebec city :)
Though most likely it was to be in Winnipeg, but I first told you the team would still be there by their first deadline (early december), then extended to dec. 31st, then extended 'til the end of this season.

Atlanta was never in the picture, it was all about the Coyotes.

For what it's worth, I don't think Atlanta will move this year either.  But I'm not betting on this.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on May 11, 2011, 02:13:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 11, 2011, 01:23:21 PM
It was about the Coyotes moving from Arizona :)  Anywhere, be it Winnipeg, Vegas, Kansas, Laval or Quebec city :)
Though most likely it was to be in Winnipeg, but I first told you the team would still be there by their first deadline (early december), then extended to dec. 31st, then extended 'til the end of this season.

Atlanta was never in the picture, it was all about the Coyotes.

For what it's worth, I don't think Atlanta will move this year either.  But I'm not betting on this.

Well to be fair, it's not as if I wouldn't buy you a beer anyways, so I'll accept your recollection.

:)

And why aren't you betting on Atlanta? :shifty:

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 11, 2011, 02:17:28 PM
Because the owners are in a tough spot.  They can't sustain losses of this magnitude for very long.
They don't want to move the team out of Atlanta, but they will do it if it's a choice between bankruptcy and living abroad under new management.
The wildcard here is how will the NHL act: will they buy a second team?  In Glendale, part of the losses are covered by the city.  Will the NHL agree to assume 100% of the Atlanta loss in the hopes of keeping the team there?  They tought it was a done deal with Hulsizer, but then something unexpected happen.  Have they learned their lesson?  Do they believe a Goldwater Institute of Atlanta will appear out of nowhere to block some deal with the city or state?

I lack information.

I knew Betman wouldn't want to lose face with the Coyotes.  With Atlanta, it's muddier.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on May 11, 2011, 02:52:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 11, 2011, 02:17:28 PM
Because the owners are in a tough spot.  They can't sustain losses of this magnitude for very long.
They don't want to move the team out of Atlanta, but they will do it if it's a choice between bankruptcy and living abroad under new management.
The wildcard here is how will the NHL act: will they buy a second team?  In Glendale, part of the losses are covered by the city.  Will the NHL agree to assume 100% of the Atlanta loss in the hopes of keeping the team there?  They tought it was a done deal with Hulsizer, but then something unexpected happen.  Have they learned their lesson?  Do they believe a Goldwater Institute of Atlanta will appear out of nowhere to block some deal with the city or state?

I lack information.

I knew Betman wouldn't want to lose face with the Coyotes.  With Atlanta, it's muddier.

You're missing one of the most impotrant angles - the arena.  The current owners, ASG, also own the arena.  Any new owner (even the NHL) would have to negotiate a lease with ASG.  And apparently ASG thinks it can make more money from concerts, etc. than they can for 41 nights of hockey.

If ASG doesn't want the team in their arena, nobody can force them to stay there.

viper37

Ah, yes, I totally forgot about the arena :)

There seems to be some movement to keep the team there though, what with the involvement of that ex baseball star.  I dunno if it will play, if it's any indication of something more serious going on.

Neil

I wonder if there's been a worse commissioner for a major sports league than Bettman?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son