News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Neil on April 13, 2011, 03:10:17 PM
Also, they had a major Communist rebellion in Winnipeg.
Metis rebellion, Neil, Metis.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on April 13, 2011, 07:22:35 PM
I was thinking of 1919, but I suppose they did call it the Red River Rebellion.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

strikes were common around the world in this era.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Ah the sweet taste of victory.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PRC

Canucks got to an early lead and then sat back a bit... the Blackhawks were pressing hard from the 2nd on but the Nucks held on.  That was a good opening game to a series, i'm happy with the result.

Grey Fox

Damn it, Nashville won. Dan Ellis sucks.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on April 13, 2011, 07:22:35 PM

1919 Winnipeg General Strike.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

QuoteCoyotes deal on last leg, True North readyBy: Gary Lawless

Posted: 04/13/2011 1:11 PM | Comments: 82 | Last Modified: 04/13/2011 5:35 PM | Updates

Print E–mail  316 252Share585Report Error The NHL is preparing to hold a gun to the City of Glendale's head and is again planning to use Winnipeg as the bullet.

Reports that Matthew Hulsizer's $170-million bid to purchase the Phoenix Coyotes is dead may be premature but it appears there is only one chapter left to be played out in this saga.

Expect the next move to be the NHL's. It will involve positioning the city of Winnipeg against Phoenix in a manner reminiscent of last spring's leverage play by commissioner Gary Bettman.

Sports radio talk in Toronto on Wednesday had the deal in the desert near or at the end of the line and the Free Press has a Glendale source stating Hulsizer has pulled any concessions he's made off the table and reverted to his original proposal with the NHL and City of Glendale.

The next move will be Bettman's and it will likely come in the next five to 10 days. He'll need Winnipeg's help again and it's quite possible that talks between the league and True North have begun anew.

The NHL has painted itself into a bit of a corner by waiting this long to resolve the sale and now runs the risk of having to announce relocation of the franchise during a playoff run. It would be bad enough to make such an announcement in the first round but even worse to make it in the Stanley Cup final.

It's unlikely Bettman will wait that long to pull the trigger. Expect the commissioner to get in front of this one in the latter stages of the opening round. Bettman will give Hulsizer and the City of Glendale one final crack at closing a deal.

Mark Chipman and his partner David Thomson are still interested in an NHL franchise they would bring to Winnipeg and operate out of the MTS Centre.

Playing stalking horse for the NHL a second time will, however, come with some strings says a U.S.-based attorney with experience in sports franchise transfer-of-ownership deals.

The lawyer, who has been involved in NBA and NHL relocations deals, demanded anonymity but said the next few steps will be common practice in terms of the league's arrangement with True North.

According to the source, True North will require financial and contractual guarantees to sign a purchase offer that Bettman can then take to Arizona and use to prod Glendale and Hulsizer.

Before True North signs a deal, they'll want exclusivity, a firm timeline, board of governor approval and likely a seven-figure compensation — called a breakup fee — should the deal sour at the last moment.

True North will insist Bettman only shop their deal to Hulsizer and that no other party be allowed in at the last minute. The NHL will have the opportunity to use this leverage with Hulsizer alone. If he can't or won't buy the team — then it's Winnipeg's.

The NHL made its choice to relocate to Winnipeg a long time ago, if needed. Any talk of other markets has been silliness. The league is once again working with Winnipeg and no one else. That won't change.

The deal will have a small window. Once True North signs off, the NHL will have a firm deadline which it will need to work within. Bettman will tell Glendale and Hulsizer they have a certain number of days — certainly less than seven — to conclude their deal. If it's not consummated within the agreed term — the agreement in principle between the NHL and True North will come into effect.

Board of Governor approval, required for any relocation, will need to be signed off on before this agreement is signed. Should Bettman's leverage play in Glendale work a second time and prompt the city and Hulsizer to act, True North will be compensated for its role and efforts. Our source says a sum in the neighbourhood of $5 million would be the norm for a deal of this size.

Most interesting there here is the report that Hulsizer, far from making further concessions, has pulled the minor concession he made a month ago.  This deal is dead, dead, dead.

:shifty:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Daly-refutes-Sportsnets-Coyotes-to-Winnipeg-story-119782404.html

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 14, 2011, 09:16:28 AM
1919 Winnipeg General Strike.
I had to read that in Wikipedia.  Not something we were tought in our history classes.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 14, 2011, 09:18:00 AM

Most interesting there here is the report that Hulsizer, far from making further concessions, has pulled the minor concession he made a month ago.  This deal is dead, dead, dead.

:shifty:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Daly-refutes-Sportsnets-Coyotes-to-Winnipeg-story-119782404.html
the rumours of their death have been largely exagerated ;)

Barrister

They're only exagerrated until they come true.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2011, 12:14:16 AM
Ah the sweet taste of victory.
i have bet against your team and they must choke!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on April 14, 2011, 10:08:55 AM
i have bet against your team and they must choke!

People have been talking alot about last years Montreal series since the Caps are back with the #1 seed and damn if I still can hardly believe it.  Even for the Caps that was the most shocking ever but maybe they will go up 3-0 against the Rangers and then lose four straight just to try to top it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

even then i only gave them a 2 to lose. this is the weirdest pool i have ever seen. give 1-8 for the series (only usig the number once) and then multiply that number by the total games played (only if your your team wins). so really, to maximize you should weigh your points on the closest games. But if you lose that series you can't carry forward the multiplier.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.