News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Sooner or later, you will have to face it Valmy: God hates you.  That's why the Caps consistantly lose and Donald Trump is in Washington.  He's out to get you!

In other news, the Habs have chosen to protect Andrew Shaw and let go of Alexander Radulov.

Great move.  I was afraid, with the Drouin trade, that somehow the Canadiens had the will to win, to reach, at the very least, the Stanley Cup finals, but it seems they are hellbent on protecting insured mediocrity to the expense of potential talent.

My Faith has been reaffirmed.  I can now hate the Habs in peace, live well with my conscience.  :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Jets have asked long-time defenceman Toby Enstrom (who has played his entire career with the Thrashers/Jets) to waive his No Move clause, which he agreed to do.  Curious to see if he is then selected or not.  His point production has fallen off of a cliff, but he's still one of their most defensively reliable d-men, and is often paired up with Byfuglien to cover up for his, shall we say, aggressive style of play.

Plus, by exposing Enstrom the Jets were able to protect a bunch more forwards, so other than Enstrom their best exposed players are Marko Dano and Shawn Matthias.

Fun times.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on June 18, 2017, 11:32:07 AM
In other news, the Habs have chosen to protect Andrew Shaw and let go of Alexander Radulov.

What makes you think they've let go Radulov? Dude doesn't have a contract, can't protect him.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 19, 2017, 08:03:25 AM

What makes you think they've let go Radulov? Dude doesn't have a contract, can't protect him.
I'm pretty sure they will get rid of him in favour of some defenceman or two.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Teams can protect players not under contract.  Why you would when they're going to hit UFA is a valid question.  But they can be protected.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2017, 09:26:05 AM

I'm pretty sure they will get rid of him in favour of some defenceman or two.

well they are 4 short right now, so need some.

but it might be a good thing. Long term contracted Radulov will be a disappointment.

Valmy

Sooner or later, you will have to face it Valmy: God hates you.  That's why the Caps consistantly lose and Donald Trump is in Washington.  He's out to get you!

No no no it is a movie reference. God loves me, my life kicks ass.

But God may indeed hate the USA and the Caps but we probably deserve it :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2017, 06:55:52 AM

No no no it is a movie reference. God loves me, my life kicks ass.

But God may indeed hate the USA and the Caps but we probably deserve it :P

Prosperity gospel. <_<

Valmy

You guys sure are touchy about theological matters.  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2017, 09:39:43 AM
You guys sure are touchy about theological matters.  :P

Hey, I just didn't know you were a big Joel Osteen guy.  You go ahead and believe in whatever heresy makes you happy Valmy. :hug:

Valmy

Grey Fox

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2017, 10:05:01 AM
Who?

Well if you're going to make me explain the joke, that'll take all of the humour out of it. :(

Big televangelist.  He is probably the biggest proponent of "prosperity gospel", which preaches that faith in God will bring health and prosperity to your family.  Which seems pretty opposite to almost all of what Jesus was saying.  And which I'm sure you don't believe in, hence the joke.

viper37

Golden Knights draft.

Of note for Languishites:

Winnipeg Jets: Chris Thorburn , F -- Thorburn, 34, who can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, scored three goals in 64 games this season and has 127 points in 750 games in his NHL career, which dates to the 2005-06 season.

Montreal Canadiens: Alexei Emelin , D -- Emelin, 31, who has one year left on his contract, has 72 points in 380 NHL games, all with Montreal, after getting 10 in 76 games this season.

Toronto Maple Leafs: Brendan Leipsic, F -- Leipsic, 23, played six games for the Maple Leafs last season and spent this season in the AHL with the Toronto Marlies, scoring 51 points in 49 games and five points in 11 playoff games.

With what they have right now, I think they have a solid core for a competitive team this year.  Depending on the trades they do in the coming days, maybe enough to be close to the playoffs this year.

Barrister

The Thorburn pick was a nothing pick.  He's UFA in 10 days.

In exchange for picking Thorburn, Jets trade from 13th overall in the entry draft to 24th, plus throw in a 2018 third round pick.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. :mellow:

And I don't think Vegas is going to be competitive at all.  They have a handful of nice players - but then they made a ton of deals to pick low-rent players in exchange for tons of draft picks.  Which may pay off for them in 5 years, but the 2017-2018 version of the Golden Knights will be dreadful.