News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Sleep? This is why you could never be an honourary Canadian.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Well you picked the right time to stop watching.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

I hope you're happy valmy <_<

Valmy

You cannot blow a 3-1 lead without first getting up 3 games to 1  :ph34r:

But sure. So far so good.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Not liking these refs.

HVC

Camerus

:w00t: I was going to be satisfied with the Leafs just making it to game 6. Now that is guaranteed and even a series victory no longer seems far-fetched.

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Camerus on April 17, 2017, 09:11:44 PM
:w00t: I was going to be satisfied with the Leafs just making it to game 6. Now that is guaranteed and even a series victory no longer seems far-fetched.

Wait you went into this series against the chokiest franchise in the history of any sport thinking a victory was far-fetched? Have you never watched the NHL before? Are you patronizing me? Because that is really mean :P

Anyway at least the Caps cannot blow another 3 games to 1 lead. So it cannot be a top 10 disappointment for me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Here I will dig this one up from last year:

QuoteThe Washington Capitals experienced yet another early, [synonym for surprise] exit from the NHL playoffs on Thursday, dropping a [adjective for close], [indicate whether or not it was in overtime – it was] [Game 6 or 7] against the [team that finished in 6th, 7th or 8th place] in the [round before the Eastern Conference Finals]. The Capitals had [statistic indicating strength of the team's regular season] while [team mentioned above] made the playoffs after a final-week push.

Washington, which entered the playoffs as a [type the word "favorite" without being brought to tears by laughter – water is bad for your keyboard] to win the Stanley Cup, experienced another [variant of "choke"] that's become all but the playoff norm for one of the most underachieving teams in sports over the last [take the last two digits of the current year and add 14] years. This series loss was the [count up playoff appearances since 1998]th time in [subtract 1998 from current year] seasons that the Caps failed to win more than one playoff series and the [let's just go with 9]th time they were ousted by a higher-seeded team.

Not even a [variant of "sold out"] Verizon Center nor a sea of [whatever color the Stepford-like Caps fans have decided to dress en masse this year], could change the team's luck. The [deluded number of attendees at Verizon Center] were whipped into a frenzy [cringeworthy number of minutes] before the drop of the puck. But those fans [phrase to replace "gluttons for punishment'] were hushed early when [other team] scored a goal at the [minute mark between 15 and 19] of the first period. Despite fits and starts over the next [time of first goal subtracted from 60] minutes, the ending was as predictable as [Michael Bay movie – any Michael Bay movie].

It was a [try to make it sound like this wasn't foretold in the stars] loss for the Caps, who were out to a [2-0 or 3-0 or 3-1] lead in the series before the [other team] forced a Game 7 after a [overtime win in whichever game of the comeback involved overtime].

The Caps were done in by their usual playoff demons. The team went [percentage less than 10%] on their power play, goaltender [name of goalie] allowed [percentage over 40] more goals than he had in his [adjective for good] regular season and, once again, Alex Ovechkin was a virtual no-show, scoring fewer points in the series than [unheralded defenseman] despite being a favorite to win his [number of current MVPs] MVP award.

Despite the [too-early round] exit, fans were still [something nicer than "clinging to the desperate fantasy"] that the Caps are closer than ever to making the [whatever the next round of the playoffs is].

"[Hilariously upbeat quote from man wearing red], said [name of poor sap whose playoff beard had been growing for all of 11 days] of Potomac. "[Continuation of quote that already looks ahead to next season which, in a slice of good news for Caps fans, starts in like 3 weeks]."

After acknowledging he'd take a few days to recover from the latest playoff [collapse/meltdown/choke job/implosion/explosion/some kind of -ion], coach [name of guy about to be fired] said it was time to start focusing on [next calendar year].

"We were so close," said [soon-to-be temporarily unemployed coach]. "It's a disappointment but [flowery outlook that treats the regular season like it actually matters and is something to be built upon.]"

But wait they can still win game four!  :ph34r:  :( :weep:

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2016, 12:00:58 AM
So sorry Leafs fans (are their any besides HVC?)  Jets vs Leafs, Jets give up a 4 goal lead, only to take it to OT and a win, with Patrik Laine scoring a hattrick and pulling even with Matthews in goals for the season.

So yeah, BB, how's that going for you these days?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on April 18, 2017, 01:30:56 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2016, 12:00:58 AM
So sorry Leafs fans (are their any besides HVC?)  Jets vs Leafs, Jets give up a 4 goal lead, only to take it to OT and a win, with Patrik Laine scoring a hattrick and pulling even with Matthews in goals for the season.

So yeah, BB, how's that going for you these days?

That's the spirit, hold a grudge. hold it hard!

also, about time you showed up :P

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2017, 09:04:21 AM
Wait you went into this series against the chokiest franchise in the history of any sport thinking a victory was far-fetched? Have you never watched the NHL before? Are you patronizing me? Because that is really mean :P
Is a Leafs fans.  They haven't done shit in the series for as long as the combined aged of all Languish members. :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

still the second most winningest team :P