News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2023, 04:00:03 PMSo, here's a story going around from my kids minor hockey.  Not his team, but he knows all the kids involved.  As I've heard it 3rd hand I can not vouch for it's truth.

So anyways, the kids involved are 13-14 years old.

Anyways, the report is that two kids were showering after a game.  First kid apparently pissed on the second kid in the shower.  Second kid in response called first kid the n-word (first kid is indeed black)

What we do know is the first kid was suspended for a game.  Second kid was suspended for the season.

Is this a fair outcome?  I'm not sure what to think.  Part of me thinks that urinating on someone should be worse than merely saying a word, no matter how ugly.  But part of me thinks "come on - you know that in 2023 that word is so ugly we can't even type it".
I think the urinating part should be worth a year suspension.
The n*word from a 13 year old was a reaction of anger, not necessarily indicating racism.  He could have called him a cunt, but n* came to mind in the heat of the moment.  Other remedies could have been applied if this was the first offense.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2023, 05:10:44 PMBlackhawks GM says firing Perry has nothing to do with other players or their families, and says the internet rumours are "frankly disgusting".

They do not otherwise give a reason beyond saying it was a "workplace issue".

I consider the rumour debunked.  Won't stop speculation however.

I think there might have been a rumor he did it.  Or he might have hit on CB's mom, who knows.  And then there was a fight in the player's room.  That's there the workplace issue and the safety issue comes from.

Whatever started it, there was a fight between Corey Perry and another player, quite possibly Connor Bedard. It's possible Corey Perry has a loud mouth too, or has other problems on top of this.  I don't know the player very well.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

More on Perry

QuoteEmbattled forward Corey Perry cleared unconditional waivers on Wednesday, paving the way for the Chicago Blackhawks to terminate his contract, which the team said it would do "effective immediately" for what it only described as a "workplace matter" and "conduct that is unacceptable."

Now what? The Blackhawks claimed in a statement on Tuesday that Perry was "in violation of his Standard Playing Contract and the Blackhawks' internal policies intended to promote professional and safe work environments." The big question lingering is whether Perry's alleged misconduct has risen to the level of a material breach of his contract. For the test of time, NHL player contracts have been ironclad agreements that guarantee employment with only vaguely worded and limited exceptions that grant teams the right to terminate.

Given the lack of detail provided by the Blackhawks, it is impossible to know whether Perry's conduct met that mostly unprecedented level of material breach. Teams have previously sent players home and continued to pay them until the expiration of their contracts, but there does not appear to be one example in recent NHL history of an active player's contract being terminated for conduct that may be inappropriate but not illegal. The Los Angeles Kings attempted to terminate Mike Richards' contract in 2015, four months after he was charged with attempting to cross the border in possession of controlled substances, but even then the Kings were forced to pay cap recapture penalties and termination fees to Richards totaling $10.5 million over 17 years through 2032.

According to sources, an alcohol-fueled incident involving Perry was alleged to have occurred during an event that included corporate partners and team employees in attendance. It remains unclear what allegedly took place, who witnessed it, and who reported it to the team.

Blackhawks GM Kyle Davidson said that the front office learned of the allegation while in Columbus last week and "immediately pulled" Perry from the lineup prior to a Thanksgiving eve game against the Blue Jackets. Davidson declined to provide any detail about the allegation or subsequent investigation before resulting in the termination that was scheduled to be completed on Wednesday.

"As this is an individual personnel matter, I will not be able to disclose any details relating to the initial reporting, investigation or the findings," Davidson said in prepared remarks on Tuesday before taking questions.

viper37

viper37

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on December 15, 2023, 02:52:51 PMValmy, any thoughts on your team moving out to Alexandria?

It's no big deal. I prefer the Washington teams stay in the District, but Alexandria is really part of Washington. Really all of Northern Virginia has been culturally annexed by this point. You could probably walk from Capital One Arena to the new location in an hour or so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 02, 2024, 11:02:42 PMReally all of Northern Virginia has been culturally annexed by this point.

I didn't realize Alexandria was so close though.  One hour walking.  I guess it's the same time driving? :P

Barrister

Don't look now, but the Winnipeg Jets are in first place in the league at the half-way mark, and are on an 8 game winning streak.

This has never happened in Winnipeg NHL history outside of a blip in the first couple of games of the season.

What's more interesting is they're doing it without having a single scorer in the top 30 in the league - their leading scorer is Schiefele with 14g 27A, good for #33.

Lots of hockey to play, not making any predictions, but it's an exciting time to be a Jets fan.  They're doing better even than the 2017-2018 team that went to the conference final, even though I think most would agree that team had more talent overall.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Hope springs eternal. Just ask the Leafs.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on January 12, 2024, 12:59:27 PMHope springs eternal. Just ask the Leafs.

I thought you were going to point out that the Canucks are #2 in the league, only 1 point back of the Jets (albeit with 1 more game played).

Canucks are the more surprising team, as I think everyone figured the Jets would be in the playoff pictures, but I don't think anyone predicted the Canucks to be in the playoffs, nevermind near the top of the league standings.

HVC

I'm happy a Canadian team is doing well. Shame it's the jets though :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2024, 01:02:55 PMI thought you were going to point out that the Canucks are #2 in the league, only 1 point back of the Jets (albeit with 1 more game played).

Canucks are the more surprising team, as I think everyone figured the Jets would be in the playoff pictures, but I don't think anyone predicted the Canucks to be in the playoffs, nevermind near the top of the league standings.

... hope springs eternal :hug:

My personal way of engaging is to not get my hopes up, because I've found a strong (if unscientific) correlation between getting my hopes up and the team immediately tanking across a large number of sports  :lol:

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on January 12, 2024, 01:26:46 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2024, 01:02:55 PMI thought you were going to point out that the Canucks are #2 in the league, only 1 point back of the Jets (albeit with 1 more game played).

... hope springs eternal :hug:

My personal way of engaging is to not get my hopes up, because I've found a strong (if unscientific) correlation between getting my hopes up and the team immediately tanking across a large number of sports  :lol:

Personally, I think it's okay to get excited, as long as you stay humble.

The moment you, as a fan, start getting cocky and thinking "meh - they boys have got this in the bag" is the moment they'll start on an epic losing streak.

Valmy

The Caps have been just painful to watch this year. They suck and look really bad when they lose...well at least when it comes to scoring. But they have been able to consistently win the close games so somehow have a winning record at the halfway mark. It is smoke and mirrors though, they are going to fall apart soon and I am not looking forward to it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."