News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Tempe Citizens have rejected the mega construction project that included a new arena for the Coyotes.

In all likelyhood, this team will move to Houston or Salt Lake City. <sigh>

French link
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Oh God, please don't move to Houston. Anything but that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on May 17, 2023, 12:09:33 PMOh God, please don't move to Houston. Anything but that.

Another Floria team, or Houston? Which do you choose?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on May 17, 2023, 12:16:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 17, 2023, 12:09:33 PMOh God, please don't move to Houston. Anything but that.

Another Floria team, or Houston? Which do you choose?

I would rather the NHL contract  :lol:

I guess given that choice I would choose Houston. The Dallas Stars are a blandly inoffensive entity, which has no fans but mostly caters to corporations whose large out-of-state workforce enjoy hockey. I mean they exist but definitely not within the general Texas sports culture. And the reason I hate the Dallas Stars is because of this blandness. I love the NHL for the culture and the the Dallas Stars are the strip mall of hockey franchises. I hate them precisely because they are barely worth hating. And a Houston version of the Dallas Stars would be almost exactly the same.

But there is this force in Texas, the Houston vs Dallas rivalry. Those cities hate each other for no particular reason that I can see. But it would spice things up a bit if there was a Houston team for the Dallas team to hate. So at least having a Houston NHL team would have that going for it.

Sometimes I think the only reason Houstonians care about the Houston Texans at all is that they sometimes might beat the Dallas Cowboys.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

HVC

I have a soft spot for Dallas because I liked Modano as a kid.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on May 17, 2023, 12:28:31 PMI have a soft spot for Dallas because I liked Modano as a kid.

Yeah well, that was so long ago he played for the Minnesota North Stars.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on May 17, 2023, 12:35:40 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 17, 2023, 12:28:31 PMI have a soft spot for Dallas because I liked Modano as a kid.

Yeah well, that was so long ago he played for the Minnesota North Stars.

I'm in the oldest age group now, I know :weep: :P

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on May 17, 2023, 12:16:37 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 17, 2023, 10:38:51 AMGreat news.

Southern team swap? What's the difference?

It's not Arizona, worth a try. Better get use to it before the 2030s are here Houston, Kansas City and Salt Lake City will have a team.

All before Quebec city.  :lol:

Valmy

Salt Lake City and KC could be good Hockey cities though...maybe.

viper37

Pier-Luc Dubois wants to be traded from the Jets to anywhere this summer, unwilling sign a 1 year bridge extension to his contract with Winnipeg.

This is the second team he asks to be exchanged of.

Also, the Jets are looking at trading other players.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 08, 2023, 12:59:25 PMPier-Luc Dubois wants to be traded from the Jets to anywhere this summer, unwilling sign a 1 year bridge extension to his contract with Winnipeg.

This is the second team he asks to be exchanged of.

Also, the Jets are looking at trading other players.

PLD is still a RFA.  Jets can take him to arbitration, and then either flip him at the trade deadline or keep him as an own-rental.

Who exactly are the Jets looking to trade (although of course they're talking about PLD).  Wheeler has negative trade value at his current contract.  Hellebuyck - wants to know if the Jets are going to be a contender or not.

Personally, I think now *is* the time to do a bit of a rebuild.  Not a "take it down to the studs" kind of rebuild, but trade a few pieces with the idea you might not be good for 2-3 years.  But that does not appear to be Kevin Cheveldayoff's plan.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 08, 2023, 01:05:01 PMWho exactly are the Jets looking to trade (although of course they're talking about PLD). 
I first read this in La Presse a month ago, and again this morning.  So it's obvious where the journalists want Dubois to go. ;)

The Jets' GM would obviously not announce his hand by saying he wants his star player gone, that would weaken his value.

Grey Fox

Fuck Dubois. What I want is Hellebuyck.