News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2023, 02:57:47 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 30, 2023, 02:51:00 PMNo.

Fuck that Nazi POS.

Oh. I was unaware he was a Nazi POS. What is up with the Blackhawks and horrible people?

Granted my favorite club is Team Z.

He was quoted (in a Russian newspaper) that "Hitler, for example, had some good ideas. He just went a little bit too far."

I also mentioned in the Dead Pool thread there were very credible allegations of domestic violence.

But the man died today.  I very much believe that if you can't say anything nice about the recently deceased, you say nothing at all.

So anyways - he was a great player for the WHA Jets, helped win several AVCO Cups.  And I am aware of the other stuff.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I only knew him as a legend from the old days whose son was Brett Hull. Obviously Bobby was never the celebrity here in the US he was in Canada, except maybe in Chicago I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2023, 03:08:12 PMI only knew him as a legend from the old days whose son was Brett Hull. Obviously Bobby was never the celebrity here in the US he was in Canada, except maybe in Chicago I guess.

I kid (slightly) with the WHA stuff - he was absolutely a huge star in his Blackhawk days.

But seriously - his ONE MILLION DOLLAR contract with the Jets was mind-blowing at the time.

Barrister

I gotta say - that suit Hull is wearing is AMAZING.

Valmy

Maybe with that million dollars Bobby bought himself a better suit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 30, 2023, 03:18:06 PMI gotta say - that suit Hull is wearing is AMAZING.

Very 1970s  :lol:

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2023, 03:23:58 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 30, 2023, 03:18:06 PMI gotta say - that suit Hull is wearing is AMAZING.

Very 1970s  :lol:

How to tell that picture was taken in 1972 without saying it was taken in 1972...

Barrister

So I've always followed the career of Buffalo Sabres centre Dylan Cozens.  Now I don't know Dylan at all - but Dylan was born in Whitehorse, and both his parents were one-time colleagues as federal prosecutors in Yukon (his dad subsequently was appointed a Territorial Court Judge).  Weirdly I also worked with Dylan's uncle (his dad's brother) 20+ years ago in Calgary.  The uncle subsequently quit the practice of law, grew his hair out, and went on to have his own reality tv show.

Anyways - Dylan just signed a $49 million, 7 year contract with the Sabres.  Good for him!

https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1623014999831547962

viper37

Lots and lots of rumors lately about a new NHL team expansion! :hug:

In Atlanta... :glare:

FFS.

Meanwhile, Quebecor is acquiring the Montreal Alouettes (CFL).

This is the 2nd season in a row I have not watched a single NHL hockey game in full.  Followed by two where I haven't watched a full game.  If Atlanta gets a team before Quebec city, that's gonna be permanent.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Why try Atlanta again? 3rd time will not be the charm.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Expand? They should just move the Coyotes out of Arizona.

Barrister

NHL playoffs started last night.

We had Carolina over the Islanders, Boston over Florida, Minnesota over Dallas in double OT.

BUt I want to talk aboutis how the Oilers blew a 2 goal lead in the third period and lost in OT to the LA Kings. :lmfao:

Jets play tonight in Vegas.  Now the Jets came in as a Wildcard team, and Vegas #1 in the West, but I think I like their chances a bit more than the standings might suggest.  But we'll see - they're still the underdog here.

There's actually a surprising lot of Vegas-Manitoba connections.  Vegas GM is Kelly McCrimmon - he was the owner/GM of the WHL Brandon Wheat Kings (Brandon is Manitoba's second largest city).  Vegas's goalie is Laurent Brossoit - he was Winnipeg's backup for three seasons.  Vegas has Winnipeggers Nolan Patrick and Mark Stone on the roster.  And of course the teams played back in 2018 in the Western Conference final, with Vegas winning.

Valmy

At least it is impossible for the Caps to lose to the Pens in the second round this year.

Barrister

5-1 Jets over Vegas.   :smoke:

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2023, 01:56:13 PMAt least it is impossible for the Caps to lose to the Pens in the second round this year.
The Pens are weird.
They hire a GM to rejuvenate the team.  The new owner stops the plan and wants him to keep the extended core intact.
Then they don't make the playoffs by following the plan of the owner, so the owner fires the GM and the assistant GM.

No, not weird, not the right word.  It's exactly what the Canadiens have been doing since Molson bought back the team.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.