News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

QuoteBut if they don't, it'll look like no team wants of him, even free.

What? No it doesn't. Price lifted his no-move clause specifically for the expansion, meaning Seattle can't pick him and trade him right away. The no-move clause goes back into effect if Seattle picks him (they won't).

It's just gaming the rules so the Habs can keep Allen as backup goalie.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on July 19, 2021, 12:36:46 PM
Full list of players available for the expansion draft

Will we see Carey Price next putting on the Kraken's jersey?  Stay tuned!   ;)

If Seattle picks him despite his hefty contract, Bergevin will look like a fool.
But if they don't, it'll look like no team wants of him, even free.

Price is gone.  Book it.

He had to waive his no move clause to allow him to be exposed, so he's clearly OK with the idea of going to Seattle.  His contract is almost certainly more than Price is worth (I'm not a huge fan), but he's still a very good goalie who just helped drag his team to the Cup Finals.  Price is also from Vancouver, and used to play in Washington state in juniors so he's almost certainly comfortable with going to Seattle.

Looking at the goalie list, there's no goalie under contract who I'd take ahead of Price (Tuukka Rask is not under contract, and Pekka Rinne announced he'll retire).  And when starting with a blank sheet for contracts they can likely afford the $10.5 mil cap hit.

Because you're all worried and Winnipeg's expansion draft situation :P - I can't believe they exposed Dylan DeMelo ahead of Logan Stanley.  Stanley is 23, been with the Jets system for the last 5 years and only just made it to the Jets in highly sheltered minutes.  DeMelo on the other hand was frequently on our first pair and was a very solid defender.  The analytics guys all love DeMelo.  The Jets have been very week on their right side D(DeMelo shoots right) ever since Byfuglien left.  It seems like the team is making the classic mistakes of considering the sunk costs of 5 years invested in Stanley, plus falling in love with his 6 foot 7 height.

Look for Seattle to take either Mason Appleton (who is a good player ready for a bigger role, but the Jets can survive losing him) or DeMelo (who we don't have anyone to replace him with).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

If Seattle picks Price than Bergevin is a genius.

I expect they will pick Brett Kulak out of the Habs for a cheap 6-7-8 defenseman.

Or maybe not. The signs are really pointing that Price will be a Kraken. That will be quite the lucky break to get out of under that bad contract halfway in.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 19, 2021, 01:28:35 PM
If Seattle picks Price than Bergevin is a genius.

I expect they will pick Brett Kulak out of the Habs for a cheap 6-7-8 defenseman.

Or maybe not. The signs are really pointing that Price will be a Kraken. That will be quite the lucky break to get out of under that bad contract halfway in.

All of a sudden there are multiple reports about how Price is injured, how he probably needs surgery and will miss the start of the year...

I think Bergevin is nervous. :D

And apparently Price's wife is from Washington state, which re-inforces that he'd have no issue playing there.

Grey Fox

He wouldn't, I agree with you.

They also spent the pandemic offseason in Washington State. All signs point to him being a Kraken but it's want I want so I'm not objective.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 20, 2021, 01:46:21 PM

They also spent the pandemic offseason in Washington State. All signs point to him being a Kraken but it's want I want so I'm not objective.

You'll miss him once he's gone...

Barrister

Okay now I'm less certain about Price, since apparently the Kraken have signed Chris Dreiger to a 3 year, 3.5 mil contract.  Togethger with Price that would mean $14 mil for two goalies, which sounds pretty extreme.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2021, 01:49:02 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 20, 2021, 01:46:21 PM

You'll miss him once he's gone...

Yes. Now or in 5 years, we will miss him. It's perfect opportunity with Primeau coming into the league.

Barrister

Price to stay with the Habs.

Jets to lose Mason Appleton.

Grey Fox

:(

Flames are losing their Captain.

They didn't take any bad contracts. Those savvy Sea Monsters.

They took both Fleury brothers too.

Zoupa

The plan was never to move Price. The playoff run proves that.

I think lots of folks don't like him because he's not flashy. He makes his stops look easy. He's very rarely pleased or pissed after a goal or at the end of the game.

He remains one of the few goalies out there that can steal a game, and god knows he had to over the years with the Habs perennial anemic offense.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

The Chicago Blackhawks have always been a shitshow organization. Nothing surprising to see here.

C.C.R.

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 28, 2021, 07:55:29 PM
How about them Blackhawks

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/blackhawks-sexual-assault-scandal-explained-gm-stan-bowman-steps-aside-full-timeline-2010-incident/dvghc204apyw1ssgggrch4x1g
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 29, 2021, 06:50:23 AM
The Chicago Blackhawks have always been a shitshow organization. Nothing surprising to see here.

Yeah, for a variety of personal reasons I'm just not into sports in general anymore, but as a lifelong Blackhawks fan that 2010 Stanley Cup win was pretty special to me at the time, and to find out about all of this now just sickens me. Like, "getting that indian head tattoo laser-removed from my arm" sickens me. Fucking douchebags...

:ccr

Barrister

Holy crap - a CCR sighting???

Sorry it was such sickening news that brought you back.

This has been quite the news in the Winnipeg Jets online circles I also run in, since Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff was Assistant GM for Chicago back in 2010.  He was the only one in that meeting that has kept his job, and not all are convinced that was the right call.