And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on June 19, 2020, 12:54:32 PM
this is Toronto's year. cup with an asterisk and no parade :D

We'll have a parade. If we can gather in the streets for BLM we will certainly riot for the Leafs.

And the good news is, if it happens this year---I'll be able to go.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Although the league hasn't announced it, it's being widely reported that the NHL's two hub cities will be Toronto and Edmonton.  Vegas, which had seemed like the front-runner all along, has been axed because of spiking Covid numbers.  And the finals themselves will be in Edmonton.

In other news, free agency, which normally starts July 1, will not happen November 1.  Which tells you the 2020-2021 season isn't happening until 2021.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

We'll start with the Winter Classic. That's pretty cool. No Hockey in Decembre will weird tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Finally, we may yet see a Stanley Cup final in Toronto
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on July 02, 2020, 04:29:37 PM

Nope - according to Bob Mackenzie it's going to be in Edmonton.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1278734107330125830

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on July 02, 2020, 04:49:03 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 02, 2020, 04:29:37 PM

Nope - according to Bob Mackenzie it's going to be in Edmonton.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1278734107330125830

Oh FFS. This was the best chance they'll ever get.
Civis Romanus Sum

Barrister

And it's official: the NHL's newest team is the Seattle Kraken.

PRC

Such a lame name.

Should've been the Thunderbirds, or if they insist on having a name with no "S" on the end then the "Grunge".

Barrister

Seattle Kraken is an awesome name! :mad:

And I do like that they listened to fan feedback (Kraken got lots of attention), rather than the owner just going with his own personal preference (looking at you Vegas) <_<

Valmy

Well it is better than Ducks at least.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I like the name and the design/colors. :)

Unfortunately I don't care about hockey. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

There are some cool and fairly subtle design elements I missed until they were pointed out:

-The S shaped logo goes back to the logo of the Seattle Metropolitans which was the first US-based team to win the Stanley Cup back in 1917

-the anchor shoulder logo forms into the space of the Space Needle

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2020, 11:55:06 AM
Unfortunately I don't care about hockey. :(

Even after Germany's miracle run at the 2018 Olympics? :(

What is wrong with hockey? It is like soccer only with big sticks and fighting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2020, 12:07:23 PM
Even after Germany's miracle run at the 2018 Olympics? :(

The what? :unsure:

I used to really been into the Olympics, esp. Winter Games, but not since 2006 or so. Too commercialized and gigantomanic these days.

I used to watch the hockey World Championships in the 80s, and German hockey league in the 90s, but I lost interest since.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Germany beat Canada and won the silver medal in 2018. It was ridiculous.