And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 24, 2013, 07:31:42 PM
pfft, you guys are hopeless when it comes to appreciating true sport
So, who do you think would win in a match between Kobe Bryant and Hulk Hogan?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 24, 2013, 07:33:07 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 24, 2013, 07:31:30 PM
i can't watch college or minor hockey games either, so that's not the best example. and i get a bunch of nba games, i just have no will to watch them. Baseball is at least fun to watch live. i can't imagine basketball would even achieve that, but i haven't tried so maybe i'm wrong there.

No, you dont get the point.  US college basketball is generally considered the best kind of basketball to watch on TV.  That is not the case for hockey. 
so your minor/nonproffesional league is better then your professional league? Great sport there :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 24, 2013, 07:33:42 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 24, 2013, 07:32:40 PM
TSN is basic cable.
Not the sportsnet channel that shows most of the soccer games...
Sportsnet is on the next level up, but TSN carries a number of MLS games.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on April 24, 2013, 07:34:27 PM

Thunderlips.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 24, 2013, 07:36:42 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 24, 2013, 07:33:42 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 24, 2013, 07:32:40 PM
TSN is basic cable.
Not the sportsnet channel that shows most of the soccer games...
Sportsnet is on the next level up, but TSN carries a number of MLS games.

TSN also carries a bunch of Raptors games.

CC's argument seems to be he can't watch whatever soccer/basketball game he wants, which is laughable.  I have to pay a bunch of money to be able to watch my Jets games, so it's not like you can easily watch every hockey game on basic tv either.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 24, 2013, 07:39:19 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 24, 2013, 07:34:27 PM

Thunderlips.
andre would kick both their asses
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Valmy

I do not get why Canadians do not appreciate Basketball more.  It was invented by a Canadian after all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on April 24, 2013, 07:31:30 PM
i can't watch college or minor hockey games either, so that's not the best example. and i get a bunch of nba games, i just have no will to watch them. Baseball is at least fun to watch live. i can't imagine basketball would even achieve that, but i haven't tried so maybe i'm wrong there.

No Basketball is surprisingly boring live despite all the loud music they generally play.

But that may just be watching Basketball in Texas.  Despite Texans reputation as sports nuts, and they are, they are very laid back and boring crowds.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on April 24, 2013, 08:13:48 PM
I do not get why Canadians do not appreciate Basketball more.  It was invented by a Canadian after all.
he was a turncoat who became an American. Never forget!

We have high school basketball ( one of my classmates actually got a scholarship to a good us school) but the Canadian teams (now team) sucks so its hard to follow. 

Grey Fox

It's not violent enough + too much emphasis on individual athletes compare to the teams. Canadian sports fans, especially Old hockey fans, do not appreciate brashness. See : Evander Kane & Winnipeg fan base.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

An important part of the Canadian psyche is our physicality and toughness.  Before we were the 'nice' country, we were tough outdoorsmen and vicious shock troops.  Rather than basketball, a sport that rewards weakness, cowardice and the ability to pretend that you were fouled, Canadians have always preferred hockey, which selects for strength, speed, courage and toughness.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 24, 2013, 08:20:32 PM
It's not violent enough + too much emphasis on individual athletes compare to the teams. Canadian sports fans, especially Old hockey fans, do not appreciate brashness. See : Evander Kane & Winnipeg fan base.
Or at least not past a certain point.  I think there's a certain respect for brashness in the form of love of the team.  One of the most popular personalities related to hockey is very outspoken, but he's generally a positive guy who talks up teams and shoots straight.  Despite the fact that he's a peacock, he doesn't come off as badly as your average basketball player.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 24, 2013, 08:20:32 PM

This is the season Winnipeg fell in love with Evander Kane.

fhdz

Oh, hey, and the 'hawks win. Again.
and the horse you rode in on

Barrister

Quote from: fahdiz on April 24, 2013, 11:05:25 PM
Oh, hey, and the 'hawks win. Again.

They were playing Edmonton.  Of course they won.   :cool: