News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I support the Canucks but do not agree with PRC on this. Your break a guys neck, that's not okay. It might just have been an accident, but that doesn't make it any better. It might make it a little better if we look at just the guy who did it, but if we look at the sport, the rules and the league it makes it much worse; they're encouraging play that leads to accidents like that.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on March 11, 2011, 12:20:19 PM
I support the Canucks but do not agree with PRC on this. Your break a guys neck, that's not okay. It might just have been an accident, but that doesn't make it any better. It might make it a little better if we look at just the guy who did it, but if we look at the sport, the rules and the league it makes it much worse; they're encouraging play that leads to accidents like that.

Well... our legal system, and hockey's rules, are a fault-based system.  If something is purely an accident then you are not at fault.  The problem is this isn't an accident - he meant to hit him.

I sincerily hope that between this incident and Crosby that the league takes a serious look at how to better protect its players from concussions in the off season.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Go back to those old foam and leather shoulder pads. if you can break your shoulder blade from taking stupid runs at people you'll be less likely to do it.

Wouldn't help in this case, or course, but in other cases it might.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 10, 2011, 08:47:54 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 10, 2011, 05:38:35 PM
That this play can be consider "ok" is yet more evidence hockey just needs to die and let more civilized sport take its place.  For example the speed, grace and athletic excellence that is the NCAA basketball tournament.

I like you better when you talk about Baseball.

Its March.  The madness is about to begin.  You will have to let this one go.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on March 11, 2011, 07:34:09 AM
He's a Canucks fan.  Neck-breaking is just a part of the game for them.

You are forgetting the Canucks are the skilled team.  I think you are thinking about Oliers fans - at least Oilers fans for the last decade or so.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2011, 01:06:06 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 10, 2011, 08:47:54 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 10, 2011, 05:38:35 PM
That this play can be consider "ok" is yet more evidence hockey just needs to die and let more civilized sport take its place.  For example the speed, grace and athletic excellence that is the NCAA basketball tournament.

I like you better when you talk about Baseball.

Its March.  The madness is about to begin.  You will have to let this one go.

Basketball. You only like it because you are tall. One day, you'll see the light.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

To bring things back to hockey, I'm hoping the NHL plans to bury the news that the Coyotes are leaving Phoenix by announcing it during the start of March Madness.

Grey Fox

I'm hoping that the top 4 of the NHL executives somehow dies in an accident.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 11, 2011, 01:15:13 PM
I'm hoping that the top 4 of the NHL executives somehow dies in an accident.

Not me.  Bettman appears poised to sell the Coyotes to Winnipeg.  I don't want to chance that a new commissioner takes a different approach.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on March 10, 2011, 05:28:48 PM
Wtf does is matter where Chara's arm is anyways? You can use your tippy toes to send someone head first into the boards, it's still boarding.
he's hitting MaxPac's shoulders on this picture, not the head.

Nobody here is saying he didn't do anything wrong.  He was careless in the way he hit Pac, that's for sure.  What we disagree with, and that only Hab's fans believe, is that the hit was intentionally made to severly injure MaxPac.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2011, 01:21:49 AM
The guys on HNIC Radio were universally saying Chara does not have a history for dirty play, and that was part of the reason he wasn't suspended.   :huh:
it's still a dumb argument.  You don't penalize this kind of gesture because the guy has no record.  So he does it again, and you don't punish him again because he has no record?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on March 11, 2011, 12:20:19 PM
Zoupa is out for blood.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2011, 12:29:10 PM
Well... our legal system, and hockey's rules, are a fault-based system.  If something is purely an accident then you are not at fault.  The problem is this isn't an accident - he meant to hit him.
hitting is part of the game.  You couldn't accuse a driver of armed assault because he accidentally hit a pedestrian with his car.  It's a similar situation here.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2011, 01:07:58 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 11, 2011, 07:34:09 AM
He's a Canucks fan.  Neck-breaking is just a part of the game for them.
You are forgetting the Canucks are the skilled team.  I think you are thinking about Oliers fans - at least Oilers fans for the last decade or so.
Do you think I'm a big Edmonton fan or something?

Still, it wasn't an Oiler out there breaking some guys neck.  Canucks can't say that.  Canuck's can't say much at all, since they always choke.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on March 11, 2011, 01:30:54 PM
hitting is part of the game.

And as long as that kind of hitting is part of the game it will always be a third rate sport with limited appeal.