News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

It does seem more than a coincidence if he is a Muslim, especially if he indeed lied to the US as Israel as it is claimed.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on May 20, 2024, 04:18:05 PMIt does seem more than a coincidence if he is a Muslim, especially if he indeed lied to the US as Israel as it is claimed.
Lindsey Graham is a reliable source now?

And since when does the court negotiate in advance with war criminals to be judged by a court they control?  Would we allow the Hamas leadership to be judged in Palestine?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 20, 2024, 03:41:51 PMKhan's behavior shows his first allegiance is to his Islamist compeers, certainly not to the law, the norms of how the ICC operates, and sure as fuck not to Britain.
And obviously, you are he one deciding on his allegiance.

The verdict is set.  All that is left to do is for you to render the sentence.  Death?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: viper37 on May 20, 2024, 04:29:44 PM
Quote from: Tamas on May 20, 2024, 04:18:05 PMIt does seem more than a coincidence if he is a Muslim, especially if he indeed lied to the US as Israel as it is claimed.
Lindsey Graham is a reliable source now?

And since when does the court negotiate in advance with war criminals to be judged by a court they control?  Would we allow the Hamas leadership to be judged in Palestine?

It looks like a lot of mainstream news outlets have reported the same thing Graham alleges.

And the ICC has an obligation to actually work with domestic entities where a country has a functioning court system. It is not at all in line with prior ICC precedent to completely ignore any Israeli process, the ICC by its foundational documents is only an appropriate venue where other courts cannot or will not act, as a court of last resort.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: viper37 on May 20, 2024, 02:10:31 PMWhat have Israeli courts done against Bibi's grab for power?

Is this a serious question? The Israeli courts resistance to Bibi's over-reaching and the government's abortive efforts against the courts is what precipitated the Israeli political crisis.

I think it would be difficult to argue that Israeli courts are incapable of fair adjudication.  A more serious question is whether there is a viable mechanism for such a case to be brought to the courts. I'm not familiar enough with the Israeli legal system to opine on that last question.

However, it seems to me the more immediate question re the ICC is their creative theory of jurisdiction, i.e. that Gaza is a "state party" to the Rome Treaty, by virtue of: (a) the UN General Assembly vote to recognize "Palestine" as a state, and (b) the 2015 declaration of the Mahmud Abbas on behalf of the PA, an organization with zero authority in Gaza, of intention to submit to ICC jurisdiction.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on May 20, 2024, 11:51:57 AMNot having a sex offender brother or leaders in a religion also disqualifies King Charles as a British citizen :contract: :P

:lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 20, 2024, 04:44:33 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 20, 2024, 02:10:31 PMWhat have Israeli courts done against Bibi's grab for power?

Is this a serious question? The Israeli courts resistance to Bibi's over-reaching and the government's abortive efforts against the courts is what precipitated the Israeli political crisis.

I think it would be difficult to argue that Israeli courts are incapable of fair adjudication.  A more serious question is whether there is a viable mechanism for such a case to be brought to the courts. I'm not familiar enough with the Israeli legal system to opine on that last question.

It is a serious question: what did change?  Did they prevent Netanyahu from doing what he wanted to do?

It seems they were just as effective as the courts were against Andrew Jackson.

So I ask the question again: Assuming Lindsey Graham does not distort the fact (it's a big if, and I doubt that's the case, but let's play), what could the courts do?  He's already been accused 3 times of corruption and managed to get away with it, once by naming a prosecutor favorable to him who would reduce the charges.  What do you think would happen if he there were any serious accusations of war crimes being leveled against him?

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 20, 2024, 04:44:33 PMHowever, it seems to me the more immediate question re the ICC is their creative theory of jurisdiction, i.e. that Gaza is a "state party" to the Rome Treaty, by virtue of: (a) the UN General Assembly vote to recognize "Palestine" as a state, and (b) the 2015 declaration of the Mahmud Abbas on behalf of the PA, an organization with zero authority in Gaza, of intention to submit to ICC jurisdiction.

That's a technicality.  It's akin to saying the US courts can't judge a President for his crimes.  It's an interesting legal debates for those inclined on this subject, but it's irrelevant to the facts debated: is there a crime that was committed.