News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Testing Firefox

Started by lustindarkness, March 07, 2011, 12:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

First off, Gecko runs way faster than WebKit (Chrome and Safari run the same rendering engine- you're not gonna see much of a difference between those two), so you're going to find Firefox runs a lot faster than Chrome... if you don't pile on too many add-ons that bog down the program.

Right now, I'm running FF 3.6.15/NoScript/Adblock Plus(Fanboy's List).
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 08, 2011, 12:39:23 PM
First off, Gecko runs way faster than WebKit (Chrome and Safari run the same rendering engine- you're not gonna see much of a difference between those two), so you're going to find Firefox runs a lot faster than Chrome...

:lol:

Got a source on that?

I didn't think so.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 08, 2011, 02:04:09 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 08, 2011, 12:39:23 PM
First off, Gecko runs way faster than WebKit (Chrome and Safari run the same rendering engine- you're not gonna see much of a difference between those two), so you're going to find Firefox runs a lot faster than Chrome...

:lol:

Got a source on that?

I didn't think so.
About wich part?
Chrome OS and Safari using Webkit?
WebKit powers Google Chrome and Apple's Safari,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebKit

Firefox 4.0 uses Gecko 2
Firefox 4 is based on the Gecko 2.0 engine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Firefox_4

About the speed?  Currently, Beta 10 and above (they're at #12 now) are faster than Chrome 9.x or any other browser currently available, as retail or open beta.

FF 4.0 uses the GPU to offload processing from the CPU, making it faster.

How much?  Depending on the scale you use, you can get interesting figures ;)  But #figures, in absolute terms, do we really notice 100 milliseconds difference?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Liep

There is no noticeable difference between Chrome 11.x and Firefox Beta 12 when viewing Languish.org:P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Just switched up to FF4 RC.  Anybody else giving it a test-drive?
Experience bij!

Liep

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 15, 2011, 09:58:06 AM
Just switched up to FF4 RC.  Anybody else giving it a test-drive?

Yep, I like the design and it seems very fast. You can scroll down on heavy sites immediately, the two-three seconds you had to wait before was not worthy of 2011.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Liep on March 15, 2011, 10:41:41 AM
Yep, I like the design and it seems very fast. You can scroll down on heavy sites immediately, the two-three seconds you had to wait before was not worthy of 2011.

:yes: The new UI is nice and clean; it reminds me of the cleaner Chrome UI, but it's not a direct lift.  I'm also just wondering if anybody's been using the app tabs.
Experience bij!

lustindarkness

FF4 for the last week or so. Love it.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Darth Wagtaros

Is it in beta or this the production version?
PDH!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 29, 2011, 08:17:46 PM

4's in RC right now; something like: "we don't want to call this a beta, but enough people might be holding onto 3.6 that we don't want to call it the stable version."
Experience bij!

Liep

Actually I'm pretty sure it's done, released and downloaded 40 million+ times already.

Caliga

Yes, I have Firefox 4 final.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 30, 2011, 08:25:43 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 29, 2011, 08:17:46 PM

4's in RC right now; something like: "we don't want to call this a beta, but enough people might be holding onto 3.6 that we don't want to call it the stable version."
it's the final FF 4.0 since last week.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.