News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Android Thread

Started by derspiess, March 06, 2011, 11:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arvoreen

I have the Galaxy S5 so I can't speak to the S6 directly, but my son got himself one a couple of months ago and he really likes it.  I just ordered a Nexus 6p myself, so I'll be switching in a couple of weeks when it arrives.  The S5 has been nice, but once I upgraded to 5.1 it went to crap.  I finally tracked down a ROM I like in Exodus and am happy though.  I got talked into getting a new phone because my daughter wants my S5 to replace her S4 (with broken front camera). :D

Overall, Samsung makes nice phones.  The S6 was their first foray into non-removable batteries though.  QuickCharge is awesome from what my son says though.

Liep

Anyone got any smartwatches yet? The LG Urbane 2nd Edition actually looks good.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Got my Galaxy S6 yesterday. I will set it up over the weekend, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Arvoreen

Got my Nexus 6P last Monday.  I really like it.  Biggest difference from S5 -- I never run out of memory (3G ram is a huge difference).  That, I no longer have to manage my disk usage with an external SD (got the 128G unit).  Oh yea, it is fast and smooth.   Best phone I've had yet.

Syt

Happy with my S6 so far, though the step up from S4 => S6 is not mindblowing. Going from Nokia E-7 to Samsung was a much bigger transition.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I went with an S5. Seemed  better than the 6 on a key metric (battery life) and 200 quid cheaper. So....

I do like it now I'm used to it. Using my little iPhone screen again feels odd. A few niggles though. Like how do I kill the default browser (chrome was also there by default so why do I even have that)
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Liep on November 12, 2015, 05:54:40 PM
Anyone got any smartwatches yet? The LG Urbane 2nd Edition actually looks good.

I've been wearing a second-gen Pebble Steel for quite some time now (since before the Apple Watch release)- as much as I loved Power Rangers as a kid, I don't need to be able to text and call from my wrist, thanks.  The Urbane has been known for some time in the mobile junkie circles as a boondoggle, and now it might not even be released.
Experience bij!

Arvoreen

Quote from: Tyr on November 23, 2015, 08:00:41 AM
I went with an S5. Seemed  better than the 6 on a key metric (battery life) and 200 quid cheaper. So....

I do like it now I'm used to it. Using my little iPhone screen again feels odd. A few niggles though. Like how do I kill the default browser (chrome was also there by default so why do I even have that)

You *should* be able to to Settings -> applications, find the default browser, and disable it.

Josquius

Cannot.
I'd like to tie chrome to the home screen search bar at least  but that too seems unchangeable.  Weirdly
██████
██████
██████

Arvoreen

Hmm,

Another option is to go to Settings -> Apps -> All -> Internet -> Clear Defaults

Then try the search and/or open a link from some other app (hangouts, text message, etc.)

You should get prompted to pick an app, and you can choose Chrome and check the 'make default' option.

derspiess

I was planning on not getting a GS6 because I didn't want to lose my removable battery and SD card slot. But Sprint had a deal over the weekend and I bit. I don't like the concept of leasing my phone but Sprint is making it almost impossible to buy the old way.

The GS6 is an iterative improvement on most things but performance is clearly better. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on December 02, 2015, 01:48:00 PM
I was planning on not getting a GS6 because I didn't want to lose my removable battery and SD card slot. But Sprint had a deal over the weekend and I bit. I don't like the concept of leasing my phone but Sprint is making it almost impossible to buy the old way.

The GS6 is an iterative improvement on most things but performance is clearly better.

Yeah, the S6 came out from left field for me- on paper, the things taken away seemed pretty damning, but I was pleasantly surprised, especially at:

1) S5s only stay waterproof/dustproof as long as the (extremely delicate) door cover over the charging port stays intact.  So not very long at all, in most cases.
2) The fast charger for the S6 actually goes faster than the USB 3.0 charger for the S5.
Experience bij!

lustindarkness

OK, sorry to interrupt our Star Wars conversations, but what how is the S6 doing battery wise for you guys?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 21, 2015, 03:10:06 PM
OK, sorry to interrupt our Star Wars conversations, but what how is the S6 doing battery wise for you guys?

I guess all your batteries have died and you can't respond?  :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Caliga

My S6 is fine, battery-wise.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points