Started by JonasSalk, March 06, 2011, 03:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on April 03, 2011, 04:40:00 PM
Quote from: Alcibiades on April 03, 2011, 12:23:34 PM
Gotta press that nice melee button

Quote from: medespite being told to use the melee attack

;)

They simply decided it would be a good idea to shoot each other up before going in with the swords.
you need to press the button with the mouse that says "melee attack".  that way, they will use their sword and not shoot.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadBurgerMaker

:unsure: I'm not entirely sure how else I can point out that I ordered the cavalry to use the melee attack on the retreating infantry.  "Told to use the melee attack" doesn't seem to be working here for some reason.  I didn't actually say it to the monitor, then click on the badguys or whatever.  I either alt clicked, or used the button to get the little sabre, then put that sabre over the units and clicked.  You know....told them to use their swords.....

Anyway, Lucidor is probably right about the fire at will command still being on, although since this was...a month ago now, I can't be sure about it.  It wouldn't surprise me. Doesn't really matter now though.  That battle is long gone, and I haven't played NTW in a couple weeks.

viper37

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 02, 2011, 11:52:16 AM
:unsure: I'm not entirely sure how else I can point out that I ordered the cavalry to use the melee attack on the retreating infantry.  "Told to use the melee attack" doesn't seem to be working here for some reason.  I didn't actually say it to the monitor, then click on the badguys or whatever.  I either alt clicked, or used the button to get the little sabre, then put that sabre over the units and clicked.  You know....told them to use their swords.....

Anyway, Lucidor is probably right about the fire at will command still being on, although since this was...a month ago now, I can't be sure about it.  It wouldn't surprise me. Doesn't really matter now though.  That battle is long gone, and I haven't played NTW in a couple weeks.
What I mean is there is a button, it looks like swords crossing each other.  You need to press this button, then order the attack, otherwise, they stop and they shoot.  If you do that, it should work.  If it's what you're doing, I'm at lost.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadBurgerMaker

Okay, since I must be hallucinating and I'm not actually typing the part about telling them to use melee, I just fired up NTW to see why it was happening.

Lucidor is correct.  When told to attack with their swords while "fire at will" is lit, they will fire their carbines before charging in.  If there are two or more cavalry units mixed in with each other, this will result in them shooting the fuck out of each other.  They'll really mow each other down.  If the infantry is retreating, they will shoot the fuck out of each other multiple times (charging at the one running dude nearby after each one) because of how spread out the infantry unit is.  With "fire at will" unlit, they act like "normal" cavalry and don't shoot each other in the back.

I don't think I encountered this again because I basically had to hide my now fucked up cavalry units behind the lines and had fire at will turned off, and in other games I didn't use the same type of cavalry at all.

As a side note, my new computer guts will be arriving today, so I imagine I'll be able to crank up the detail from the current "no grass no lighting medium textures" etc. 

grumbler

That was surreal, I will grant you, MBM.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Lucidor

That, like the cannon on auto-fire firing volley after volley of cannister shot into the backs of your own men is what keeps NTW a little below enjoyable.

Norgy

Quote from: Lucidor on May 02, 2011, 04:11:04 PM
That, like the cannon on auto-fire firing volley after volley of cannister shot into the backs of your own men is what keeps NTW a little below enjoyable.

I remember the magic arrows that never caused friendly casualties in M: TW II. Position enough archers blasting fire arrows and send in the infantry to win against, well, anything.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Lucidor on May 02, 2011, 04:11:04 PM

Yeah they seem to get pretty enthusiastic about killing friendly troops sometimes.

QuoteI remember the magic arrows that never caused friendly casualties in M: TW II. Position enough archers blasting fire arrows and send in the infantry to win against, well, anything.

Sure it could get stupid if you played it like that, but you don't have to do that.  I'd just really like the option of turning FF off just to avoid dumb shit like the cavalry slaughtering each other, the cannons killing the gunners on the next gun over (or annihilating half a nearby friendly infantry unit because they want to shoot at some badguys in that direction), AI infantry shooting themselves when they get crossed up, etc. 

I don't know, maybe a distance modifier or something so they don't hit each other at point blank range, but it would leave you the option of killing your own guys if it's useful for...whatever reason.

Norgy

I am just saying that TW's Two Wrongs do not make a right. It was messy before, and now it's messier.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 08, 2011, 11:56:26 AM
I'd just really like the option of turning FF off just to avoid dumb shit like the cavalry slaughtering each other

Did you try pressing the "melee attack" button?

I've heard that could help.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Norgy

Adjust resolution and reinstall Windows as well.

MadBurgerMaker

JonasSalk

I got it since it's on sale on Steam. Been playing a little as the Shimazu with the Darth Mod.
Yuman

Tamas

Quote from: JonasSalk on May 29, 2011, 06:40:08 PM
I got it since it's on sale on Steam. Been playing a little as the Shimazu with the Darth Mod.

Things could have changed, but initially the big mods made the game retarded and easier. Unlike the strategic modes of the previous TW games, shogun 2 made you do meaningful and not straightforward choices and the modders just couldn't live with that apparently. So try vanilla.

The Brain

Played some. When I got too big suddenly BAM all the squabbling clans united against me overnight and declared war. Except my closest and oldest allies who took a year to turn on me. Didn't seem very realistic...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.