News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Great Union-Busting Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, March 06, 2011, 01:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Is middle class America really that invested in unions? :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on March 24, 2011, 10:39:31 PM
If it is, then it would explain why it's taking it in the ass so hard for the last 30 years.

CountDeMoney

Employers sure as shit aren't.

Admiral Yi

If you paid more attention to MSNBC, The Progressive, Mother Jones, or The Nation, you would be aware that the line being adopted by supporters of the public sector unions is that the various attempts to roll back their compensation and/or collective bargaining rights is an effort to eliminate one of the few remaining vestiges of the American middle class.  So to answer your question more directly, it's not that middle class America is invested in unions, it's that unions ARE middle class America.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 24, 2011, 11:11:55 PM

Employers sure as shit aren't.

They wouldn't be employers for very long if they did  :showoff:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 24, 2011, 07:55:50 PM
The Democratic base wanted at least a public option, if not single payer.

The base doesn't dictate every part of the Democrat agenda in congress.

QuoteObamacare is the '94  GOP proposal.

Man, have you gone full Democrat now?  Obamacare is pretty much what Obama said he wanted in the 2008 campaign-- plus a lot of goodies added out to get enough Democrat votes + special interest support.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2011, 11:02:21 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 24, 2011, 07:55:50 PM
The Democratic base wanted at least a public option, if not single payer.

The base doesn't dictate every part of the Democrat agenda in congress.

QuoteObamacare is the '94  GOP proposal.

Man, have you gone full Democrat now?  Obamacare is pretty much what Obama said he wanted in the 2008 campaign-- plus a lot of goodies added out to get enough Democrat votes + special interest support.
No. Pro-life, in favor of a balanced budget and as hawkish as ever. Plan on voting for Romney if he wins the nomination.

And that's their problem. The GOP listens to their base a lot more.

Obama backed the public option in '08.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

garbon

Romney certainly looks better than most of the Republican names that have been mentioned so far.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2011, 08:01:16 AMRomney certainly looks better than most of the Republican names that have been mentioned so far.

I'd rather take a Chaotic Evil goof like Palin over a Lawful Evil cultist like a Mormon.

Crazy is one thing, crazy AND diabolically sinister is another.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 26, 2011, 09:19:07 AM
I'd rather take a Chaotic Evil goof like Palin over a Lawful Evil cultist like a Mormon.

It's alright. I don't blame you for making poor choices.  Besides, without President Palin, your doomsday prophecy would look a bit off.

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2011, 11:02:21 AMMan, have you gone full Democrat now?  Obamacare is pretty much what Obama said he wanted in the 2008 campaign-- plus a lot of goodies added out to get enough Democrat votes + special interest support.
He did win that election by a pretty good margin.  There are two major deviations though - one is the mandate which Hillary pushed and Obama opposed, and the other was something from McCain's campaign.

But that doesn't invalidate Tim's point.  What he campaigned on wasn't that far from what Republicans supported 15 years ago.

QuoteNo. Pro-life, in favor of a balanced budget and as hawkish as ever. Plan on voting for Romney if he wins the nomination.
I think the issue is that the Republicans have a base.  The Democrats don't - they have bases with views that don't always cohere and priorities that don't always mesh.  So Mayor Daley was as much of a candidate of the Democratic base as George McGovern was.  Similarly Clinton and, say, Dean. 

I think the Republicans, since Reagan, have a far more coherent ideological base - which can provide great advantages a lot of the time.  I think it's coming under pressure now from Bush's legacy when I think these tensions were sort of buried.  I think this primary season could be very, very useful for Republicans in that sense.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

What are you talking about that Republicans supported 15 years ago?

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 26, 2011, 09:19:07 AM

I never thought of it that way, but you're right.

Lawful Evil = Mitt Romney
Neutral Evil = Michele Bachmann
Chaotic Evil = Sarah Palin

:cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 26, 2011, 01:12:58 PM
What are you talking about that Republicans supported 15 years ago?
Tim said Obamacare was basically the Republican plan from 94.  DS said that it was what Obama campaigned on.  I said both can be true.
Let's bomb Russia!