Quote from: Habbaku on March 14, 2011, 10:38:42 PM
You're just drinking the Kool-Aid.  :mad:
And you're just, :unsure:, uh, I won't say anything.  :shutup:

Wait, what did I miss there?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on March 14, 2011, 10:53:34 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 14, 2011, 10:50:18 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 14, 2011, 10:38:42 PM
You're just drinking the Kool-Aid.  :mad:
And you're just, :unsure:, uh, I won't say anything.  :shutup:

Wait, what did I miss there?
Well, you know, is it a coincidence that you back each other up in close succession in this thread?  People are talking.  Well, not people, just Strix, but still.

Berkut

0 rows returned

DGuller

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Strix on March 14, 2011, 08:20:46 PM
No, for example, in New York roughly $16,000 per student was spent on education in 2007. The average class size is between 20-25 and the average teachers salary is around $60,000. So, the first four students in every class pay for the teacher ($64,000) and the rest of the students provide $224,000 to the system. That's probably 20-25% of the budget towards salaries.
You probably need another 4 students or so to pay for the teacher's pension and medical.  Then with the school's non-teaching staff you get somewhere around the percentage Berkut threw up there.

I sort of feel for you Strix.  You do a crappy job that not many other people would want to do, you slog in the right to work hellhole of North Carolina for years and years, then just when you reach the promised land of union-delivered largesse, the political tide shifts on you.

Berkut

0 rows returned

Neil

Isn't he in New York though?  Is there going to be any actual efforts to reign in the public sector in New York?  Would a Democratic government who owes his position to the corruption of organized labour (and the fact that the GOP nominated a loon) go after the unions?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on March 15, 2011, 08:09:43 AM
Isn't he in New York though?  Is there going to be any actual efforts to reign in the public sector in New York?  Would a Democratic government who owes his position to the corruption of organized labour (and the fact that the GOP nominated a loon) go after the unions?
Possibily, if their only other choice is raising taxes.  My understanding is most states have exhausted their accounting gimmicks.

States like NY and Mass will watch how things play out in Wisconsin, Ohio et al.  Once the dust settles and no riots have broken out they could try for some cost cutting.

They're probably also keeping an eye on Washington state, where the governor's proposal was to fund the unions by imposing a millionaire's tax.  It was a while ago when I saw that on TV, it could have already passed for all I know.

Berkut

Actually Cuomo is at least talking tough on Unions.

Of course, his predecessor saw what happens when a Dem crosses the union bosses.

0 rows returned

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Berkut on March 15, 2011, 05:26:09 PM

Of course, his predecessor saw what happens when a Dem crosses the union bosses.

Do any of these governors have a choice, really? The situation sucks. Cuomo isn't talking about busting up collective bargaining I bet.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 15, 2011, 05:28:04 PM
Do any of these governors have a choice, really? The situation sucks. Cuomo isn't talking about busting up collective bargaining I bet.
Of course.  Compensation cuts, layoffs, higher taxes.

Razgovory

I suspect his predecessor did not see that, or much of anything else.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2011, 07:05:30 PM

I suspect his predecessor did not see that, or much of anything else.

:pinch:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I really liked that guy and I'm sorry his term as governor was a failure. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points