News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2016, 02:18:39 AM
That third hunger games movie is more exciting that the first half of the final book it is based on. -_-

That's... impressive. Mockingjay Part 1 has the combined excitement of watching amoebas dance in a petri dish. In slo mo.

I can see why the writer ran into a wall when writing this last installment, though. Shedding the hunger games was always going to be a though act.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on June 20, 2016, 02:49:59 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2016, 02:18:39 AM
That third hunger games movie is more exciting that the first half of the final book it is based on. -_-

That's... impressive. Mockingjay Part 1 has the combined excitement of watching amoebas dance in a petri dish. In slo mo.

I can see why the writer ran into a wall when writing this last installment, though. Shedding the hunger games was always going to be a though act.

Agreed on all counts.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2016, 01:19:51 AM
Anyone who thinks their job sucks really should watch the last two minutes of this week's Silicon Valley.  :lol:

:lol:

I was busy complaining that they used Malian music for a Bangladesh scene but yes, it turned really sour when they just kept it going.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Latest Veep. It is nearing Arrested Development status for me, it's just so full of amazing gags, call backs and one liners it's hard to keep up.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

viper37

White Hunter, Black Heart.

I think it's been discussed here, possibly by Sav, I can't remember.

Anyway, this is a 1990 movie, based on a 1953 novel that retells the story behind the making of The African Queen while slightly changing names.

A famous egocentric director is hired to shoot a movie, but once he arrives in Africa, all he can think about is shooting an elephant, "the biggest tusker of the world".

The first half hour is pretty dull.  Only once they get in Africa that it really becomes interesting, and from then on, you can only feel pity for everyone involved in this mess.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Just discovered that Kirk Douglas is still alive! :o
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Hail Caesar! - one of those very loose Coen comedies, that never coalesces into much of a muchness. There's some funny lines and scenes here and there, eccentric characters galore, and some charming homages to 50s Hollywood, but it never really gets going. You'll still get laughs if you dig his style though, my favorite scene was [spoiler]Channing Tatum rendezvousing with a Soviet submarine aboard a rowboat manned by Communist screenwriters[/spoiler].

I was impressed by Alden Ehrenreich (or however it's spelled), I'm looking forward his take on Han Solo.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on June 21, 2016, 04:44:33 AM
Hail Caesar! - one of those very loose Coen comedies, that never coalesces into much of a muchness. There's some funny lines and scenes here and there, eccentric characters galore, and some charming homages to 50s Hollywood, but it never really gets going. You'll still get laughs if you dig his style though, my favorite scene was [spoiler]Channing Tatum rendezvousing with a Soviet submarine aboard a rowboat manned by Communist screenwriters[/spoiler].

I was impressed by Alden Ehrenreich (or however it's spelled), I'm looking forward his take on Han Solo.

Would that it were so simple...  :lol:

And I agree about the best scene. [spoiler]Bad doggie, Engels, bad doggie![/spoiler]

celedhring

I liked the whole "what if McCarthy was actually right" approach to the time period  :lol:

There's a bunch of fun ideas and things all over the place, but somehow they don't add up to a great whole.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on June 21, 2016, 05:13:02 AM
I liked the whole "what if McCarthy was actually right" approach to the time period  :lol:

There's a bunch of fun ideas and things all over the place, but somehow they don't add up to a great whole.

Yeah, it has lots of cool scenes and quirky characters but the overall film is quite uneven and less than the sum of its parts. Then again the good parts are really good and vintage Coen bros, worthy of the price of admision by themselves.

jimmy olsen

Just saw Independence Day: Resurgence and holy hell this movie rocked so fucking hard! Even more ridiculous then first, and in all the right ways!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

A million ways to die in the west

Charlize Theron is great.  Sarah Silverman too.  But Seth MacFarlane's humor doesn't really do it for me.  Way too many piss&shit jokes.  And by the time we reach the death scene showed in the preview, a guy hit by a huge block of ice, it no longer is funny.

There are some great jokes, though.  Sarah Silverman plays a prostitute who does not want to sleep with her boyfriend before marriage because she's a Christian, well...  :lmfao:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

KRonn

10 Cloverfield Lane. Drama/thriller - Not bad, I liked it ok.

[spoiler] I liked the ending where the girl finds out that her captor was right about an invasion, in this case an alien invasion. I would have liked to see that fleshed out more. [/spoiler]

celedhring

Independence Day has always been one of my guiltiest pleasures. I'm looking forward to the sequel  :blush:

CountDeMoney

Do they hack the aliens with Windows 10 this time?