News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

Quote from: 11B4V on June 19, 2016, 01:54:22 PM
Mr Robot: Enjoyed it.

:yes:  Great series.  Can't wait until the new season starts.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Liep on June 19, 2016, 01:51:57 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 19, 2016, 01:48:06 PM
Quote from: Liep on June 19, 2016, 12:28:23 PM
London Has Fallen. Got about 5-10 minutes in before I stopped and promptly went onto imdb.com and rated it '1'.

Well that seems rather dickish.

Perhaps, but in my defense it was really horrible.

Though to be fair, you didn't actually give it a chance if you stopped watching it that quickly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I gave it a chance and support Liep's rating.

lustindarkness

Finding Dory. Great movie. She is found. [spoiler]She finds herself.[/spoiler]
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

Mockingjay Part 1. I guess this is what happens when you take The Hunger Games films and remove the only outstanding bit: the actual Hunger Games. Pretty boring and contrived, plus the fact it feels padded out in order to stretch the story to 2 films.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on June 19, 2016, 04:53:26 PM
Mockingjay Part 1. I guess this is what happens when you take The Hunger Games films and remove the only outstanding bit: the actual Hunger Games. Pretty boring and contrived, plus the fact it feels padded out in order to stretch the story to 2 films.

As a screenwriter, do you feel it is part of your calling to watch shit movies for the sake of watching shit movies?

celedhring

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2016, 05:50:25 PM

As a screenwriter, do you feel it is part of your calling to watch shit movies for the sake of watching shit movies?

It's part of my job, yes. Gotta see what's being done, although I don't think I'll draw any kind of inspiration from this particular one.

frunk

I saw it this weekend too.  I was like, wow, nothing happened the whole time except I got sad seeing Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Admiral Yi

Isn't that the way teensploitation movies work though?  As long as the main characters are young, and relatively attractive, it doesn't really matter what happens?

celedhring

Quote from: frunk on June 19, 2016, 07:05:19 PM

I saw it this weekend too.  I was like, wow, nothing happened the whole time except I got sad seeing Philip Seymour Hoffman.

I swear 75% of the thing happens inside the bunker too. The previous two movies had their faults but at least the actual Hunger Games were exciting and had some bonafide drama in them. Here I'm watching two hours of Katniss learning to shoot political propaganda videos.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2016, 07:09:45 PM
Isn't that the way teensploitation movies work though?  As long as the main characters are young, and relatively attractive, it doesn't really matter what happens?

There are lots of teensploitation flicks with young and attractive leads. Some barely make money, some make gangbusters, so the difference lies elsewhere. The concept behind the Hunger Games is a decent one, with a strong inherent tension, and that's why they are the most successful films of this ilk.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on June 19, 2016, 06:08:47 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2016, 05:50:25 PM

It's part of my job, yes. Gotta see what's being done, although I don't think I'll draw any kind of inspiration from this particular one.
how about the reverse?  Kinda like what we do in business admin and study failures to avoid repeating them?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Anyone who thinks their job sucks really should watch the last two minutes of this week's Silicon Valley.  :lol:

garbon

That third hunger games movie is more exciting that the first half of the final book it is based on. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.