News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

So the word on the street is that batman vs superman isn't very good?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Started watching BoJack Horseman. Really funny. It pokes fun at the celebrity world through a has-been former sitcom star (who's a horse).

Neal McBeal the seal who's a Navy SEAL is the kind of stupid joke that I'm ashamed to be laughing at.

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on March 26, 2016, 05:11:58 AM
Started watching BoJack Horseman. Really funny. It pokes fun at the celebrity world through a has-been former sitcom star (who's a horse).

Neal McBeal the seal who's a Navy SEAL is the kind of stupid joke that I'm ashamed to be laughing at.

:yes:

I also laughed loudly at Arrested Development's extended seal jokes: The seal dealer who's sealing a deal that goes awry and the loose seal ends up acting in the name of Lucille.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Visiting my parents for Easter, and need a movie to watch with them. Sword and sandal seems an apt choice... I presume all of The Immortals, the 300 sequel and The Rock's Hercules are terrible though?

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on March 26, 2016, 11:38:32 AM
Visiting my parents for Easter, and need a movie to watch with them. Sword and sandal seems an apt choice... I presume all of The Immortals, the 300 sequel and The Rock's Hercules are terrible though?

Exodus: Gods and Kings is actually not that bad.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on March 26, 2016, 05:11:58 AM

This is my favourite show of the last year. The second season is actually way way better (the jokes become much more mature and satirical than simple puns).

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on March 26, 2016, 11:39:54 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 26, 2016, 11:38:32 AM

Exodus: Gods and Kings is actually not that bad.

Yeah, it's no great shakes but it got too much bad rap. But my parents have already seen that one. That's why I'm scrapping the bottom of the barrel.  :lol:

Martinus

I assume they have seen Gladiator or Alexander?

Edit: I may actually watch Alexander tonight. It has great music.

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on March 26, 2016, 11:48:34 AM
I assume they have seen Gladiator or Alexander?

Edit: I may actually watch Alexander tonight. It has great music.

Yup. They actually like sword and sandal stuff quite a bit, so they have seen most of the decent or semi-decent ones.

The three I listed are the (recent) ones that I know they haven't seen.

The Larch

What about the other Hercules movie that came out last year? The one without The Rock in it.

KRonn

Still watching repeats of Breaking Bad. Great show, drama and dark comedy. I find it hilarious and dark the situations the lead characters get themselves into. Also a favorite, maybe my most favorite show, The Walking Dead (TWD) is nearing the end of season six. Looking forward to the last couple of episodes, and a likely cliffhanger in the season finale.

Then looking forward to the return of Fear the Walking Dead. It has about six episodes in its first season and I liked it though for some it seemed a bit slow or not so exciting as TWD. But I think part of that might be people making comparisons to TWD and similar expectations for characters so soon.

Savonarola

I finished Shoah (1985); the final part deals with Auschwitz and the Warsaw ghetto.  The final part begins with the discussion of the resistance at Auschwitz; which was largely lead by non-Jewish political prisoners.  They were able to influence the guards and get some improvements at the camp.  One of the resistance men described how they got a "Family camp" at Auschwitz was so good that only a quarter of the population died in six months.  Then the Nazis had all of the children from the family camp gassed.  One of the sonderkommando witnessed that and completely broke down as he described it.

The former Nazis interviewed showed no remorse over what they had done or even what had happened.  Some of the sonderkommando did; but what struck me the most was the courier for the Government-in-Exile in Poland.  He had met with the leaders of the Jewish Community, and they had taken him into the ghetto and shown him conditions there so he could alert the western powers.  The conditions were horrible and as the courier told his story, he kept repeating "I didn't know."  He obviously still felt guilty about the ghetto; even though he was fighting for the other side and brought the conditions there to the attention of the west.

The final two people who speak were among the few surviving fighters of the Warsaw ghetto uprising.  They didn't break down, or even show any emotion, as they told their story like they had no more feelings.  Those might have been the most disturbing interviews.

I thought the film was very well done; but it is 10 hours of relentless Holocaust interviews which become progressively more graphic and more disturbing.  There's no happy ending and no hope for a brighter day at the end.  It's something of an endurance test to get through.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Lee Daniels' The Butler. The events and times depicted are very interesting, but the movie is pretty skin-deep. Probably unavoidable given the breadth of time depicted. There's more montages in it than most sports movies. The most interesting part was the civil rights era, and he conflict between father and son, but the film loses steam after that.

The cast is pretty great, but Cusack as Tricky Dick seemed a bit miscast.

KRonn

Quote from: Savonarola on March 26, 2016, 03:42:29 PM
I thought the film was very well done; but it is 10 hours of relentless Holocaust interviews which become progressively more graphic and more disturbing.  There's no happy ending and no hope for a brighter day at the end.  It's something of an endurance test to get through.

No doubt tough stuff. I can't imagine going through it; hearing the stories is quite rough enough.

Eddie Teach

This week I watched both seasons of Daredevil. Way better than the rest of the superhero tv out there. (Better than the Avengers movies too, except for the effects. Course, those are the whole point.)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?