Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2016, 03:40:31 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 21, 2016, 03:39:00 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2016, 03:35:06 PM
He was in the area at the time: Yeah. He's a psychopath.
He just saw it on TV: Not so bad. Nothing he could do to help afterall so seems fairly rational.

Even seeing it on TV, he knows his "friends" and co-workers are potentially in serious danger, right?

There is this incredible event going on, which is going to change the world. Further, you are personally invested in it in that it is happening right were you work.

Whether you can help or not, if you are the kind of human being whose mind immediately goes to "How can I make some cash from this?" you are probably an asshole.

Now, I've only seen one or two episodes of the show, but I think that is exactly the kind of person they are trying to create here - he is, at the very least, an asshole.
He's a trader.
He's probably an ass hole anyway :p

True - but we are getting into degrees of asshole here!

Yi, how do you like the show overall? I watched two episodes, and was intrigued, but haven't watched anymore since then...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Berkut, I love reading your posts, but your Giacconi quote completely murders my smartphone screen, especially when you post several times in the same thread.  :)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on March 21, 2016, 03:44:14 PM
Yi, how do you like the show overall? I watched two episodes, and was intrigued, but haven't watched anymore since then...

Metzo metzo.  There are a lot of things in the show that just go clunk, but the topic is different enough that I'm sticking with it.

It helps that it airs right before Shameless, at a time when the TV is free.

celedhring

Pleased to see that the Westies take a center spot in the second season of Daredevil (at least in the episodes I have seen so far). They are a much better fit than ninja gangs and your cliché Russian mobsters for a show set in Hell's Kitchen of all places.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on March 21, 2016, 03:46:43 PM
Berkut, I love reading your posts, but your Giacconi quote completely murders my smartphone screen, especially when you post several times in the same thread.  :)

You know you can turn a switch somewhere that makes those things invisible.

Tonitrus

Better Call Saul.

While the Jimmy storyline is pretty good...the Mike one is better and far more interesting.

Maybe it should have been called Better Call Ermantraut? :hmm:

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2016, 03:59:17 PM

I looked in account settings and I can't find it there.

Berkut

I am going to ditch it - I love the quote, but it is way too long.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Berkut, I love reading your posts...

Thanks, by the way, that is very nice to hear!

I generally get the impression most people hate about 95% of what I have to say...

0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on March 22, 2016, 04:14:03 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2016, 03:59:17 PM

I looked in account settings and I can't find it there.

Future reference, it is in 'look and layout' which is an oddly named category for what's contained.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on March 22, 2016, 09:49:52 AM
Berkut, I love reading your posts...

Thanks, by the way, that is very nice to hear!

I generally get the impression most people hate about 95% of what I have to say...

Well, I don't always find myself in agreement with you, but you usually make a pretty good job of articulating your reasonings.  I like reading them.

Savonarola

I saw the second part of Shoah (1985).  Like the first part it dealt mostly with the Chelmno Extermination Camp.  This one is interesting in that Claude Lanzmann interviews a number of Poles who lived in Lodz or Chelmno itself.  One was a German woman, the wife of a Nazi schoolteacher who had been sent to Chelmno; she couldn't tell the difference between the Poles and the Jews, other than that the Jews were exterminated (well, and they both hated one another.)  The Poles came across as largely indifferent to the fate of the Jews.  He also continued to interview the SS man who was in charge of cleaning up and disposing the bodies from the first film.  One of his co-workers had written a song for the Jewish worker brigades to sing which praised Chelmno; he sings it and then gives Lanzmann a little smile and says "No Jew knows that song today."

Strictly speaking that isn't true; there were 7 survivors of Chelmno (of the 400,000 who were sent there.)  Lanzmann also interviewed two of them.  One was the camp mascot, who used to sing German songs in the field.  Everyone in town remembered him.  He was shot in the head when the camp was liquidated; but survived and went on to testify against his former guards.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Holy Mongoloid Momma Grizzly Titties.  Paving the road for Hopey/Changey '20.

QuoteSarah Palin Preps Courtroom Reality Show
Despite lack of law degree or legal experience, former Alaska governor and vice presidential candidate hopes to hit airwaves in 2017

By Jon Blistein, Rolling Stone
March 22, 2016

Sarah Palin is set to star in a new courtroom reality show similar to Judge Judy that could begin airing next year, People reports.

The former vice presidential candidate and Alaska governor inked a deal with Montana production company Warm Springs, and is set to film a pilot and shop it to networks with the hopes of hitting the air in fall 2017. The production team includes executives who have previously worked on Judge Judy and Judge Joe Brown.

Unlike the hosts of those shows, however, Palin has neither legal or judicial experience nor a law degree. A source close to the show, however, said, "Palin's telegenic personality, wide appeal and common sense wisdom make her a natural for this kind of format and she was Warm Springs' top pick for this project."

Since her failed 2008 White House bid with John McCain and 2009 resignation as governor of Alaska — amidst ongoing ethics investigations that followed a report from the state legislature that found she abused her power to pressure subordinates into firing a state trooper, who was also her ex-brother-in-law — Palin has made somewhat of a second career in television. She was a frequent talking head on Fox News and continues to host the hunting show, Amazing America With Sarah Palin, on the Sportsman Channel. In 2014, she launched the online news channel, the Sarah Palin Channel, though it shuttered a year later.

Palin has also remained in politics too, recently endorsing Donald Trump for president.