News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 15, 2016, 01:47:39 AM
I just missed Nosferatu (Murnau's) at the theater with live accompaniment tonight. :(

:console:

There's a lot of bad prints of Nosferatu out there.  All the ones that I've seen that refer to the lead characters as John and Mina Harker (rather than Hutter and Elen) have been awful.  (Presumably if it was accompanied by a professional orchestra it had a decent print.)

QuoteBut I did finally mail back the DVD of Caligari to my friend (now in California) 5 years after I borrowed it, without ever watching it, seeing the movie six months ago on the big screen instead. :ph34r: :blush:

If you get a chance see "The Doll" directed by Ernst Lubitsch.  While the tone is about the opposite of Caligari; you can see the same sort of stylized stagey-ness was already part of the German film lexicon before Caligari.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Saw season 2 of The 100. The last 5 minutes took a really weird turn.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 15, 2016, 10:46:51 AM
Saw season 2 of The 100. The last 5 minutes took a really weird turn.
they're expanding a bit on that in season 3.  I wish they'd give more details, but I guess they want to drag things on.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Norgy

Quote from: celedhring on March 13, 2016, 06:01:00 PM
State of Play - one of those political thrillers that tell a rather trite story, and try to dress it up with a bunch of twists and turns and over-laboring everything.

John Simm, right? Or Philip Glenister?

I think I liked it quite a bit.

celedhring

Quote from: Norgy on March 15, 2016, 12:22:24 PM
State of Play - one of those political thrillers that tell a rather trite story, and try to dress it up with a bunch of twists and turns and over-laboring everything.

I was talking about the yank movie adaptation with Crowe and Affleck. I haven't seen the original British series, which I'm sure it's much better.

Norgy

Quote from: celedhring on March 15, 2016, 12:45:53 PM
Quote from: Norgy on March 15, 2016, 12:22:24 PM

I was talking about the yank movie adaptation with Crowe and Affleck. I haven't seen the original British series, which I'm sure it's much better.

I was wrong on some accounts:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362192/

John Simm is an investigative reporter for a fictional "The Sun" paper.
And is stabbed badly in the back by his editor.

celedhring

Indiana Jones 5 announced for summer 2019; Spielberg to direct, Harrison Ford to star (I assume it will be a "passing of the torch" kind of deal, since he's really too old now).

Disney is gonna milk Lucasfilm until there's not a single drop. Since that cameo in Guardians of the Galaxy they might even find a way to make money out of Howard the Duck...

Norgy

I think they should go all in on realistic animation and make it Howard the Dick.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on March 15, 2016, 01:17:49 PM
Indiana Jones 5 announced for summer 2019; Spielberg to direct, Harrison Ford to star (I assume it will be a "passing of the torch" kind of deal, since he's really too old now).

Hell he was really too old, 8 years ago.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2016, 01:51:19 PM

Raiders of the pill cabinet.

Personally I think it's a terrible idea, but well, I hope to be proven wrong.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on March 15, 2016, 01:54:46 PM

:D

"Raiders of the Lost Geritol" also works.

Ditto.

Though I must admit, the Disney stuff I've seen recently has been great: Zootopia, Gravity Falls.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on March 15, 2016, 01:54:46 PM

Indy is going to die halfway through the movie. ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on March 15, 2016, 02:10:34 PM
Indy is going to die halfway through the movie. ;)

NOOOO!

;)

Actually I bet he loses the eye in this one; like the Old Indy in the Young Indiana Jones chronicles.  (Harrison Ford will have to live another 20 years to be the right age for Old Indy.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

I wonder what they're going to do with Crystal Skull?  It introduced a lot - gave Indy a son, Indy gets married, timeline advances into the 1950s...

I'm going to assume LaBeef has nothing to do with it, since his star-power is almost non-existent these days.

The earlier rumours had the series being re-booted with a new lead actor, but that seems to be off with this announcement.  But then how do you "pass the torch" to someone new like garbon suggests?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2016, 02:39:09 PM
The earlier rumours had the series being re-booted with a new lead actor, but that seems to be off with this announcement.  But then how do you "pass the torch" to someone new like garbon suggests?
Well, he could pass the torch to someone not his son.  Maybe he has a daughter too, with that girl from #2.  Or someone entirely not related.
Or they recast him as his dad and we see a new Indiana Jones.

Any one of these ideas are equally bad, so they could work :P