Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on March 12, 2016, 05:55:08 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 12, 2016, 02:35:09 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2016, 05:18:42 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 11, 2016, 04:40:50 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 11, 2016, 04:06:38 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 11, 2016, 02:14:42 PM
However, if you have modifications to the texts that are done centuries later, these writing are likely to represent what those people thought the men who wrote it originaly thought.  It's not like there is one Bible left untouched since it was first written.

That's usually more of an issue with the OT rather than the NT - with a few well known exceptions.  Because we have access to pretty old Greek manuscripts.  In the case of Revelation 13, there is a Greek text preserved on a 3rd century papyrus.
I've got a Bible here that reports all iterations made to the same passages over the years, and accross different christian denominations.  Sometimes, you have near a dozen iterations for the same verse.

Those are all going to be issues of translation.  The language of the Bible itself was agreed upon by about the 4th or 5th century.

If there are differences across denominations, it is about which books to include in the Bible.  It's not about what those books said.

You should read his book, but if you want to simply listen to his lecture you can listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfheSAcCsrE

You are still pushing this alarmist book?

You know who that is right?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: viper37 on March 11, 2016, 04:40:50 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 11, 2016, 04:06:38 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 11, 2016, 02:14:42 PM
However, if you have modifications to the texts that are done centuries later, these writing are likely to represent what those people thought the men who wrote it originaly thought.  It's not like there is one Bible left untouched since it was first written.

That's usually more of an issue with the OT rather than the NT - with a few well known exceptions.  Because we have access to pretty old Greek manuscripts.  In the case of Revelation 13, there is a Greek text preserved on a 3rd century papyrus.
I've got a Bible here that reports all iterations made to the same passages over the years, and accross different christian denominations.  Sometimes, you have near a dozen iterations for the same verse.

There are many contested translations and even entire contested sections (like the end of Mark).    But for much of the NT there are early, decently well-established Greek manuscripts and the variants are really about translation issues.  In the case of the Revelations line Raz quoted, there doesn't appear to be any dispute about the "horns". 

A better line of attack would be to point out that whatever the author of that text was talking about, it doesn't really match with the later iconography of the Devil.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 13, 2016, 12:51:33 AM
A better line of attack would be to point out that whatever the author of that text was talking about, it doesn't really match with the later iconography of the Devil.
What was the traditional representation of the Devil in Judaism, pre-Christianity?  (corrolary: did it change since the year '0' ?)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 12, 2016, 10:33:34 PM

You know who that is right?

Uh, yeah, you been pushing that "Misquoting Jesus" for years now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on March 13, 2016, 01:33:41 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 13, 2016, 12:51:33 AM
What was the traditional representation of the Devil in Judaism, pre-Christianity?  (corrolary: did it change since the year '0' ?)

I don't think there is one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

Amy (2015)

You know the scene in "Snatch" where Brad Pitt gives a completely unintelligible monologue?  Well some joker decided to make an entire movie like that.   :mad: :mad: :mad:

;)

Everyone's favorite train wreck of a star, the incomprehensible Amy Winehouse is the subject of this documentary.  It's an episode of "Behind the Music" without the final act in which the band cleans up and becomes high on life.  There's a lot of archival film and voice overs of the people who knew Amy.  The most interesting part is how her father tried to cash on her celebrity.  He had demanded (and received) cuts in the film because he felt it had portrayed him as too much of a villain.  The film still doesn't show him in a favorable light in any way; so what was in there originally must have really been bad.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on March 12, 2016, 09:40:30 PM
I liked Dornan a lot in The Fall, but then again his character is pretty circumspect and emotionless in there.

I haven't seen The Fall.  I suspect that no one could have made the role of Christian Grey work; but learning that Jamie Dornan was a Calvin Klein underwear model proved too much for me to resist. 

He should be a shoe-in for actor slash male model of the year; but I'm afraid he'll lose male model of the year to Justin Trudeau.   ;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 12, 2016, 06:22:02 PM
Did it have vampires?

No, in the original fanfic "Christian Grey" is Edward Cullen.  I don't know if he was a vampire when EL James first wrote it or if he's a non-vampiric Edward Cullen.  That's one mystery that I'm happy to leave unsolved.

The Brain

Saw 2 movies Saturday: Moby Dick (Gregory Peck as Ahab) and 2010: Moby Dick (Barry Bostwick as Ahab). The old one is still great, I love the Pecker. It's easy to completely dismiss 2010: Moby Dick as ridiculous, and of course it largely is. However, on a very basic level they're true to the story and they use a lot of Melville references and use many lines from the book. A person who knows nothing about Moby Dick and who watches the movie will come away with a basic understanding of the story and recognize the names of the characters. There are certainly movies that are a LOT worse than 2010: Moby Dick.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

State of Play - one of those political thrillers that tell a rather trite story, and try to dress it up with a bunch of twists and turns and over-laboring everything.

Savonarola

The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (2015)

Swedish film based on a novel by Jonas Jonasson about a, well, 100 year old man who climbs out of the window of his retirement home and disappears.  As he's on the run he ends up with a suitcase filled with 50 million Krona and a gang of bikers in pursuit.  At the same time he reflects on his life, and all the important events he's bumbled through (the Spanish Civil War, the Manhattan Project, a Soviet Gulag and the cold war.)  The film is a dark comedy on which most of the humor relies on people dying suddenly.  I thought it was funny, but it's not going to be for everyone.

The film was nominated for Best Makeup and Hairstyling (which it lost to Mad Max.)  Robert Gustafsson had to go through several hours of being made up for the scenes where he was 100.

Malthus

Saw Zootopia on the weekend, with the kid; everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. Anecdotally, this film looks like it's on its way to making a mint of cash - every showing that day was sold out in the theatre I went to.

Anyway, it has all the basics down pat: it's a Disney film, so the animation is of course excellent, but also it has appealingly well-developed characters and a plot with some genuine twists (not always guaranteed with Disney products). Not as innovative as last year's Inside Out, but probably has wider audience appeal.

Not for the younger kids though - there were some toddlers in the audience that had to be taken out at the showing I was at, with the screaming meemies. Too intense in places, with some frightening imagery and situations.

The movie is, no doubt, perfect (or is that furpect?  :P ) for furries.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Norgy

Quote from: Savonarola on March 13, 2016, 06:12:44 PM
The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (2015)

Swedish film based on a novel by Jonas Jonasson about a, well, 100 year old man who climbs out of the window of his retirement home and disappears.  As he's on the run he ends up with a suitcase filled with 50 million Krona and a gang of bikers in pursuit.  At the same time he reflects on his life, and all the important events he's bumbled through (the Spanish Civil War, the Manhattan Project, a Soviet Gulag and the cold war.)  The film is a dark comedy on which most of the humor relies on people dying suddenly.  I thought it was funny, but it's not going to be for everyone.

The film was nominated for Best Makeup and Hairstyling (which it lost to Mad Max.)  Robert Gustafsson had to go through several hours of being made up for the scenes where he was 100.

It was excellent, in my opinion. He kind of loses his shit when the cat's taken by a fox.

A cute, feel-good movie.

Josquius

Yes. I saw it a few months ago. Pretty good. Struck me as some kind of bastard offshoot of Amelie, Forest Gump and Snatch
██████
██████
██████

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Savonarola on March 13, 2016, 08:56:24 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 12, 2016, 06:22:02 PM
Did it have vampires?

No, in the original fanfic "Christian Grey" is Edward Cullen.  I don't know if he was a vampire when EL James first wrote it or if he's a non-vampiric Edward Cullen.  That's one mystery that I'm happy to leave unsolved.

I just missed Nosferatu (Murnau's) at the theater with live accompaniment tonight. :(  But I did finally mail back the DVD of Caligari to my friend (now in California) 5 years after I borrowed it, without ever watching it, seeing the movie six months ago on the big screen instead. :ph34r: :blush:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)