News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 09, 2016, 04:41:07 PM

Taking place in the JJ-verse... it's problematic because  A: CBS doesn't own the rights to the movie series.  Viacom does.  And apparently there's some acrimony there (despite the common ownership).  And B: the reboot movies have already fallen into a kind of recursive loop - repeating the old stories.  Whatever the new series is, it needs to tell new stories with new characters.  I'd prfer to keep it to the original timeline.
I can see an captain of Greek origin, speaking perfect English, as if he was trained in shakespirian art.  He could have a former Borg as tactical officer and a sexy Romulan counselor in a tight outfit to provide advice about what you can read from the non verbal stance of an adversary.  It could work...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on February 09, 2016, 05:22:33 PM
I'm not sure where I'd stand on a ds9 era sequel.
On the one hand...yes. I liked that show and would be interested in the story continuing.
On the other hand. ....it's just so..... trekkie isn't it. Rather lame.  And most of where the universe seems to be going.....it seems to be a end of history sort of direction.  Good for a mini series but not a show that lasts for years
I would like a sort of, Andromeda story set in the Trek universe.  The Federation has crumbled, Earth has been invaded by a foreign ennemy, all the galaxy is in shambles and you have a crew, onboard a very advanced ship trying to rebuild that idea of a Federation.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Is Barry Lyndon supposed to be a good movie?  Was watching some and found it pretty dull.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on February 09, 2016, 05:57:53 PM
A different part of space... I want to see the story continue, dammit!  Both Enterprise and the JJ-verse are trips into the past.  I want the future!

The quest for more techno babble?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2016, 12:48:07 AM
Is Barry Lyndon supposed to be a good movie?  Was watching some and found it pretty dull.

I like it, but I admit it's mostly due to the beautiful visuals that aim to recreate the style of period paintings.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Hunger Games Mockingjay 1- Lots of talking in dark corridors, stupid rebels charging at guns (what happened to the guns of the last guys they took down?) and generally dragging things out so they could split it into a 2 partner. Meh.

Quote from: Liep on February 09, 2016, 04:36:45 PM
The Canadian Netflix is almost too good.
Better than American? :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on February 10, 2016, 02:26:09 AM
Hunger Games Mockingjay 1- Lots of talking in dark corridors, stupid rebels charging at guns (what happened to the guns of the last guys they took down?) and generally dragging things out so they could split it into a 2 partner. Meh.

It is infinitely better than the first part of the titular book was.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

It turns up more often than the American one when I search on flixsearch.io, so subjectively better.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on February 10, 2016, 01:25:15 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2016, 12:48:07 AM

I like it, but I admit it's mostly due to the beautiful visuals that aim to recreate the style of period paintings.

Yup, it's visually outstanding, but way too long and drags in the 2nd half of the movie. I really like the 1st half, though, until he becomes a spy for the Prussians and then a gambler. After he marries it goes down IMO.

Octavian

Quote from: Liep on February 10, 2016, 04:39:40 AM

It turns up more often than the American one when I search on flixsearch.io, so subjectively better.

I can't believe I didn't know about flixsearch until now  :mad:
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Liep

Quote from: Octavian on February 10, 2016, 08:32:07 AM
Quote from: Liep on February 10, 2016, 04:39:40 AM

I can't believe I didn't know about flixsearch until now  :mad:

There there, it'll all be better now. :console:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on February 09, 2016, 04:41:07 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 09, 2016, 03:28:09 PM
New Star Trek series showrunner announced. Good pick, I say.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/09/star-trek-bryan-fuller

Some interesting comments.  It sounds like he wants it to take place in the JJ-verse, but in a TNG sort of time period, and he talks about not using Enterprise but rather some other ship (he mentions Reliant).

Another ship is an excellent idea.  There's nothing magical about the USS Enterprise.

WTF is wrong with you?

There is most certainly something magical about the Enterprise.

Now, if you want to argue that said magic is played out, I can get behind that.

But to say there is nothing magical about the Enterprise? WTF? Who are you?

Might as well say the Millenium Falcon is just another light freighter.

Jesus Beebs, sometimes I think you must be an alien...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Well a YT-1300 Correllian light freighter :nerd:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

I remember after Star Trek VI, there was an idea floated of a ST series starring George Takei captaining the Excelsior.  That would have been pretty cool.

Berkut

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 10, 2016, 12:22:46 PM
I remember after Star Trek VI, there was an idea floated of a ST series starring George Takei captaining the Excelsior.  That would have been pretty cool.

That would be pretty cool!

A bit old for it now, sadly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned