News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on February 09, 2016, 05:22:33 PM
I'm not sure where I'd stand on a ds9 era sequel.
On the one hand...yes. I liked that show and would be interested in the story continuing.
On the other hand. ....it's just so..... trekkie isn't it. Rather lame.  And most of where the universe seems to be going.....it seems to be a end of history sort of direction.  Good for a mini series but not a show that lasts for years

It's not rocket science.  You skip ahead 15 years (not hard, since DS9 went off the air in '99).  You introduce some new tension in the universe - either new bad guys, or renewed tension with old bad guys.  You have a new ship, a new crew, and off you go.  Boldly go where no one has gone before!

It seemed like "the end of history" in the mid 90s too.  See how well that turned out.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

They can borrow from Star Trek Online which has carried on the old continuity. Or be a new show set at the same time as the other shows, but in a different part of space where they won't be affected by established continuity much.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on February 09, 2016, 05:53:37 PM
They can borrow from Star Trek Online which has carried on the old continuity. Or be a new show set at the same time as the other shows, but in a different part of space where they won't be affected by established continuity much.

STO: that just set up the Federation to be at war with everyone.  Good for an MMO - lot of bad guys.  Not necessarily very good television though.  And besides, the creative types are hardly going to take their cues from a video game.

A different part of space... I want to see the story continue, dammit!  Both Enterprise and the JJ-verse are trips into the past.  I want the future!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on February 09, 2016, 05:18:03 PM
You know, I'm looking at Rosario Dawson's wiki page, and most of the stuff she's doing now is voice work or direct to video.  Plus, she apparently is a big Trekkie and there's a clip of her speaking Klingon from the Conan show.

:hmm:

Hands off! I don't want her taken out from the Marvel-Netflix Universe. Her character is quite good.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on February 09, 2016, 05:57:53 PM
A different part of space... I want to see the story continue, dammit!  Both Enterprise and the JJ-verse are trips into the past.  I want the future!

Completely agree, no more reboots please.

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on February 09, 2016, 04:36:45 PM
The Canadian Netflix is almost too good.

Funny a lot of Canadians disagree.

:D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

What did Fuller make again?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 09, 2016, 06:03:10 PM
What did Fuller make again?

He's showrunned Dead Like Me, Heroes, Pushing Daisies, and Hannibal. He's also written for Star Trek before (DS9 and Voyager).

His shows may not have always been successful, but they're always interesting.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

What is this thing you call "showrun" Captain Kirk?

Josquius

Dead like me....that was a good show.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Those are good shows. Almost like he's slumming it doing a Trek.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2016, 06:08:02 PM

Head writer. Sets out the main storylines of the season, and oversees the writing of the scripts. Will usually write key episodes, too.

It's pretty much the director of a series.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2016, 06:08:02 PM

A showrunner is the head honcho of a tv show.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on February 09, 2016, 04:41:07 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 09, 2016, 03:28:09 PM
New Star Trek series showrunner announced. Good pick, I say.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/09/star-trek-bryan-fuller

Some interesting comments.  It sounds like he wants it to take place in the JJ-verse, but in a TNG sort of time period, and he talks about not using Enterprise but rather some other ship (he mentions Reliant).

Another ship is an excellent idea.  There's nothing magical about the USS Enterprise.

Taking place in the JJ-verse... it's problematic because  A: CBS doesn't own the rights to the movie series.  Viacom does.  And apparently there's some acrimony there (despite the common ownership).  And B: the reboot movies have already fallen into a kind of recursive loop - repeating the old stories.  Whatever the new series is, it needs to tell new stories with new characters.  I'd prfer to keep it to the original timeline.

He mentions Angela Bassett and Rosario Dawson.  I think he means more "people like", rather than the actresses themselves.  Bassett herself is almost certainly too old, and Dawson is probably too big a name for a tv show that is going to be on a streaming-service not named Netflix.  But as for "strong women of colour" in leadership roles?  Bring it on.
Yeah, there's no sense in using the new Star Trek movies as a base, since the new Star Trek is just the old Star Trek with more of a premium on running, shouting and explosions.  It's kind of funny how the first movie they clove themselves off from the original series, while still grounding themselves in the lore.  And then the second movie, they just went into retelling the themes of the previous iterations. 

I just watched a sci-fi TV show called The Expanse, so I'm confident that interesting sci-fi stories can still be told on television.  But we'll see if the new guy is another Behr or Straczynski, or another Bragga.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.