News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Yeah. I know I've seen it but remember very very little.
Watch Turbo Kid for dumb entertainment. I think its on most countries netflix
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on February 05, 2016, 01:03:15 PM
I see they have added 47 Ronin to Spanish Netflix and I'm looking for dumb entertainment tonight. Is it that bad? Samurai battling ghosts should be nearly impossible to fuck up completely.

I thought it was dumbass.

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on February 05, 2016, 01:34:09 PM
Yeah. I know I've seen it but remember very very little.
Watch Turbo Kid for dumb entertainment. I think its on most countries netflix

Trailer makes it look like some tongue-in-cheek 90s nostalgia-fest. Could be fun I guess, but I don't care for the 90s :P

It's not on Spain's Netflix, anyway.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 05, 2016, 10:58:25 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2016, 09:47:11 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 04, 2016, 06:57:55 PM
My favorite geographic/seat faux pax is from the John Wayne flick "The Comencharos" (a film I like quite a bit, too)...where apparently, when going from Galveston, TX towards New Orleans, the terrain looks similar to Monument Valley.  :P

I got a kick out of Wayne's Alamo movie where the countryside around San Antonio has bizarrely become a desert.

I could not help but smile at the somewhat sympathetic portrait of the "villain" Santa Anna and all the pussyfooting with the slavery question.
Still much more watchable than Green Berets though.  :D
Green Berets was a good movie.  Not so much pro-Vietnam as not being anti-vietnam.  And before you start on the pine forests, they do exists in Vietnam.

as for Santa Anna, well, a lot of Mexicans hated him, so it's probably not just the slavery thing that pushed the Texicans to rebel.  But Valmy could expand on that, it's his corner of the world, I'm sure all little Texicans must learn every detail of the terrible plight imposed unto them by their Mexican colonial masters and how a bunch of freedom fighters fought against overwhelming odds, armed only with their musket and a bag of powder. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on February 05, 2016, 01:59:45 PM
as for Santa Anna, well, a lot of Mexicans hated him, so it's probably not just the slavery thing that pushed the Texicans to rebel.  But Valmy could expand on that, it's his corner of the world, I'm sure all little Texicans must learn every detail of the terrible plight imposed unto them by their Mexican colonial masters and how a bunch of freedom fighters fought against overwhelming odds, armed only with their musket and a bag of powder. ;)

We have gone over this many times. Not to mention that there were so few Slaves before Statehood that they were thinking of splitting the state into a multiple states to balance the Free State/Slave State thing. Then 'Texas Fever' hit and all the southerners moved in for the cheap land and set up their plantations. It is amazing how enormous the effects of that very brief time has been on Texas history.

There is this bizarre need that Texas did all that they did just for the slave issue. Nevermind the Tejanos supported independence and the neighboring Mexican States also revolted. Santa Anna was advancing into Texas after crushing another revolt (in Zacatecas), after all.

Then there was the Republic of the Yucatan and all that.

Was slavery an issue? Sure but only with a small minority of the revolters. The Texas Declaration of Independence, which is certainly subject to much criticism, does not mention it. And it is not like they would have left it out to be sneaky, the Texas Declaration of Secession is basically a pro-slavery manifesto.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

So there's a documentary on TV about the French medieval castle building thing, Guédelon Castle. How the HELL do they comply with health and safety regulations? I suppose they could get dispensation for experiments, but for pure production? Bizarre.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Assuming The Wire played in Yookay based on a reference to Balmer low rises in Fishing for Salmon in Yemen, I'm wondering why Brit wannabes use "feds" instead of "5-O."

Through episode 6 so far.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

47 Ronin was passable as dumb entertainment. Seen worse. Pleasantly surprised that they didn't go the cheap Hollywood route, [spoiler]and have the Shogun pardon them at the end, so they can save their lives.[/spoiler]

The CGI was pretty sucky for a film that cost so much though.

Eddie Teach

How much did you pay for the chunk of his guitar, the one he ruthlessly smashed at the end of the movie?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on February 05, 2016, 01:03:15 PM
I see they have added 47 Ronin to Spanish Netflix and I'm looking for dumb entertainment tonight. Is it that bad? Samurai battling ghosts should be nearly impossible to fuck up completely.

It's not the worst thing in the world.  Gave it a 5/10 back '13.

Oddly, if they'd abandoned the 47 Ronin framework, which is roughly shoehorned in, and just made a goofy Keanu Reeves actioner set in Nonsense Japan, it would've been better, since that part's pretty watchable.  That said, it's got some really solid costume design, if that's your thing.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on February 05, 2016, 05:31:40 PM
47 Ronin was passable as dumb entertainment. Seen worse.

Well, there you go. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Quote from: celedhring on February 05, 2016, 05:31:40 PM
47 Ronin was passable as dumb entertainment. Seen worse.
Like Hudson Hawk
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son