And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

What about Greenland? Gotta be some tall mountains in it :hmm:

Ideologue

I can dig that Danes would have a problem.  There's an 80s movie called The Philadelphia Experiment (shitty time travel flick) based on the conspiracy theory surrounding the USS Eldridge, allegedly utilized in anti-radar experiments during WWII which wound up turning it invisible.  (The stories are likely based on ordinary degaussing and maintenance, but anyway.)  The film, which was rather cheap, strikes out for a coup by using Patriots Point in Charleston, SC, as a Pennsylvania naval base.  Insofar as I have been to Patriots Point and surrounding locations in Charleston (but unlike LA and Vancouver residents, I'm not immunized to the effect), it took me right the fuck out of the movie.

It doesn't help that in a relatively long take, you can clearly see the jet on the USS Yorktown, squatting on the deck in the background.  Nor does it help that The Philadelphia Experiment sucks in many other ways.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on February 04, 2016, 05:05:58 PM
What about Greenland? Gotta be some tall mountains in it :hmm:

Sure, the Kingdom of Denmark has some tall mountains predominately in Greenland but Denmark is flat although very undulating.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ideologue on February 04, 2016, 05:07:35 PM
I can dig that Danes would have a problem.  There's an 80s movie called The Philadelphia Experiment (shitty time travel flick) based on the conspiracy theory surrounding the USS Eldridge, allegedly utilized in anti-radar experiments during WWII which wound up turning it invisible.  (The stories are likely based on ordinary degaussing and maintenance, but anyway.)  The film, which was rather cheap, strikes out for a coup by using Patriots Point in Charleston, SC, as a Pennsylvania naval base.  Insofar as I have been to Patriots Point and surrounding locations in Charleston (but unlike LA and Vancouver residents, I'm not immunized to the effect), it took me right the fuck out of the movie.

It doesn't help that in a relatively long take, you can clearly see the jet on the USS Yorktown, squatting on the deck in the background.  Nor does it help that The Philadelphia Experiment sucks in many other ways.

My favorite geographic/seat faux pax is from the John Wayne flick "The Comencharos" (a film I like quite a bit, too)...where apparently, when going from Galveston, TX towards New Orleans, the terrain looks similar to Monument Valley.  :P

celedhring

Ever since living in New York, all those "Toronto as NYC" flicks/shows stick out as a sore thumb. I probably couldn't have told the difference before that.

Admiral Yi

Binging The Wire on HBO Go.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on February 04, 2016, 08:18:45 PM
Ever since living in New York, all those "Toronto as NYC" flicks/shows stick out as a sore thumb. I probably couldn't have told the difference before that.

Examples?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 04, 2016, 08:24:38 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 04, 2016, 08:18:45 PM

Examples?

Dunno. Off the top of my head... American Psycho, a movie I actually like, but that when I rewatched it I couldn't stand the fact it wasn't actually shot in NYC (since it's such a Manhattan story).

A bunch of superhero movies too, I guess it's cheaper to wreck Toronto. The second Hulk flick, the terrible-but-not-as-terrible-as-the-new-one Fantastic Four flicks, the Kick Ass flicks, Watchmen...

Random ones; Mimic, Max Payne, -- low budget horror/fantasy stuff, need to save money.

Mostly movies actually, can't really think of shows now that you mention it. Note that some of those might have been shot in Vancouver and not Toronto, I won't presume to be able to tell the difference  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Sounds like Canada is jealous.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 04, 2016, 08:48:41 PM
Sounds like Canada is jealous.  :lol:

Nah, shooting in NYC is really expensive, and Hollywood loves its money. Canada is close, has good infrastructure, and Toronto has skyscrapers and all.

katmai

Re-watching Zodiac. Enjoyable fun film.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Habbaku

:lol: Not exactly how I'd describe Zodiac.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2016, 08:22:06 PM
Binging The Wire on HBO Go.

Shooting in Toronto made the show weird to me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.