Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2016, 11:19:08 AM
Quote from: viper37 on February 03, 2016, 10:55:00 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 03, 2016, 04:01:15 AM

[spoiler]With the ending, I wasn't sure if Hitler was supposed to be TMITHC, or the Trade Minister dude was.  After all, apparently he can meditate his way into inter-dimensional travel.  :P[/spoiler]
yes, that scene alone secured my intent to view season 2 :P

:hmm:
the series is good, but the characters from the resistance are so stupid it breaks my fun.  Of course, they ain't real, hardened resistance fighters, but still, sometimes...

The Nazi family is fun to watch, the dilemna they will face, but without that inter dimensional mystery hinted by the newsreel, I would have lost any interest to the show by now.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2016, 11:41:36 PM
Anyone else watching Billions on Showtime?

Eh.
There's a lot to like but IMO they leaned too far on the pulp side
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2016, 09:50:50 AM
I think it's cute how people don't think Crystal Skull was a hit.

Crystal Skull is a steaming, festering pile of diseased dog shit that makes the Star Wars prequels look like masterpieces.

celedhring

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt link=topic=4507.msg948612#msg948612that makes the Star Wars prequels look like masterpieces.

Let's not get carried away here.  :D

Sophie Scholl

Out of curiosity, what aspect of it do you consider it being a "hit"?  The ticket sales gross?  The reviews?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 03, 2016, 12:23:18 PM
Eh.
There's a lot to like but IMO they leaned too far on the pulp side

Sure.  A straight up miniseries about insider trading would probably put people to sleep.

My biggest beef with the show is that it just assumes insider trading is a constant, and then waves away the gray areas.

Eddie Teach

Saw the first episode of the OJ series on FX. Nicely done.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 03, 2016, 10:59:18 PM

I heard it is so bad it is good. Any truth to that?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2016, 08:08:08 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 02, 2016, 06:57:33 PM
I actually don't mind the non-grounded stunts or cheesy dialogue. I actually didn't mind the refrigerator, for instance. It just felt tired, and phoned in, uninspired. Ford sleepwalking through the role was the symptom of the whole malaise.

Since we are bringing up The Force Awakens, even with all the recycled bits there was more spark in the new characters than anything in the Crystal Skull.

Ford aside (and maybe John Boyega aside), I can't get on board with that.

I disagree but very glad to see you back on the board :hug:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on February 04, 2016, 12:57:55 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 03, 2016, 10:59:18 PM

I heard it is so bad it is good. Any truth to that?

:huh:

I didn't care much about the case the first time around, so dunno how accurate it is, but it kept my attention.

Admiral Yi

The rest of Entourage.  It's watchable, but that's about it.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 04, 2016, 01:08:19 AM
:huh:

I didn't care much about the case the first time around, so dunno how accurate it is, but it kept my attention.

So...no?

Eddie Teach

Ideologue

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 03, 2016, 08:29:50 PM
Out of curiosity, what aspect of it do you consider it being a "hit"?  The ticket sales gross?  The reviews?

Roughly fourfold return on investment, as a purely objective measure.  Obviously it is disliked, so in the sense that it didn't spawn demand for an immediate follow-up (which wasn't in the offing then anyway, although apparently Disney's pushing for one) perhaps it's not the kind of thing deemed a hit nowadays.  But it certainly made a lot of money.

The prequels are pretty bad movies, but I'd likewise consider them "hits."

Quote from: ValI disagree but very glad to see you back on the board :hug:

:)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Not that TFA is a staggering triumph of entertainment cinema (it's decent enough though, in spite of its many flaws), but to me, what makes ultimately tick is that it puts enough new stuff at the core of the film - the Ren-Rey-Finn triangle - while Skull was just zombie Indiana Jones.