And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 24, 2016, 02:12:01 AM
[spoiler]
1) Leo bounces up from his death bed kind of easily. 
2) Soldiers from the War of 1812 are killing natives
3) and French voyageurs are competing for pelts in the northern Rockies??  [/spoiler]

I'm glad I saw it, but it's not no Danish 6/6.
haven't seen the movie, but #1 is about how it happens.  #2 is accurate, #3, depends on what you mean.
[spoiler]Do you mean people loyal to the French crown engaging in fur trading activities for their King in 1823?  Unlikely.  If you mean French speaking people engaging in fur trading activities in the rockies, then it's highly possible.  New France extended up to the rockies, there were a few fur trading posts, taken over by the British eventually, and some French trappers/traders lived with the indians or close to them.  Manitoba had some French settlements.  Quebec was the biggest part of New France, not the only one.  [/spoiler]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on January 24, 2016, 06:43:53 AM
Explain the last sentence!

You said all the Danish reviewers were giving it 6/6.  I don't think that's merited.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2016, 02:44:46 PMEpisode VIII delayed to December 2017   :mad:

I read somewhere these days that it is being rumoured that part of the explanation for the delay is that they had to order an overall rewrite to give more protagonism to Rey, because they hadn't anticipated how much of a hit she'd be. I find it a bit hard to believe.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on January 24, 2016, 06:50:55 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2016, 02:44:46 PMEpisode VIII delayed to December 2017   :mad:

I read somewhere these days that it is being rumoured that part of the explanation for the delay is that they had to order an overall rewrite to give more protagonism to Rey, because they hadn't anticipated how much of a hit she'd be. I find it a bit hard to believe.

Me too. The way Ep VII is written she and Kylo are primed to be the centerpieces of the story.

Admiral Yi

That makes no sense.  No one else is set up as the hero.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 24, 2016, 10:00:23 PM

That makes no sense.  No one else is set up as the hero.

Kylo might be.  :ph34r:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Gups

So, The Revenant.

[spoiler]First the positives.  The bear fight scene is totally fucking badass.  It honest to God looks like that bear is beating the living shit out of poor Leo.  The timing and suspense on the action scenes is perfect.  I'm thinking of the opening attack on the camp scene in particular.  The scenery is breathtaking.  The avalanche is awesome.

The negatives.  Leo bounces up from his death bed kind of easily.  Soldiers from the War of 1812 are killing natives and French voyageurs are competing for pelts in the northern Rockies??  [/spoiler]

This is a pretty fair assessment I reckon.

[spoiler]I kind of assumed that it was set somewhere on the Canadian/America border but on checking afterwards apparently North Dakota. I agree that the frog presence makes no sense. I found it quite hard to understand the dialogue in the first half hour or so. Tom Hardy especially mumble. The scenery was just incredible and beautifully shot. [/spoiler]

Josephus

X-Files.

[spoiler]Meh...disappointed. Rehash of old stuff. Didn't Mulder already believe that the powers that be wanted him to believe in an alien conspiracy when there wasn't one?[/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Yeah next thing you know they will have to re-write it to make Kylo Ren the bad guy :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Spoiler-less impressions on the new X-Files? It's coming out tomorrow here in Spain.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on January 25, 2016, 09:22:04 AM
Spoiler-less impressions on the new X-Files? It's coming out tomorrow here in Spain.

"Rehash of old stuff"
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

The Truth is out there.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Gups on January 25, 2016, 07:33:51 AM
So, The Revenant.

[spoiler]First the positives.  The bear fight scene is totally fucking badass.  It honest to God looks like that bear is beating the living shit out of poor Leo.  The timing and suspense on the action scenes is perfect.  I'm thinking of the opening attack on the camp scene in particular.  The scenery is breathtaking.  The avalanche is awesome.

The negatives.  Leo bounces up from his death bed kind of easily.  Soldiers from the War of 1812 are killing natives and French voyageurs are competing for pelts in the northern Rockies??  [/spoiler]

This is a pretty fair assessment I reckon.

[spoiler]I kind of assumed that it was set somewhere on the Canadian/America border but on checking afterwards apparently North Dakota. I agree that the frog presence makes no sense. I found it quite hard to understand the dialogue in the first half hour or so. Tom Hardy especially mumble. The scenery was just incredible and beautifully shot. [/spoiler]

I haven't seen the movie, but if it depicts Frogs in North Dakota, it's not inaccurate for that reason.

http://www.ndhorizons.com/featured/index.asp?ID=54

QuoteFrench explorer Pierre La Verendrye first came to North Dakota in the 1730s, staying with the Mandan people. Others followed a generation later as European exploration and trade moved west and the region's active fur trade began in the late 1700s.

"The fur trade and the descendents of the fur trade were in large part French and American Indian people," says Virgil Benoit, a French professor at the University of North Dakota. "It established the Michif culture," he adds, noting the Michif and Métis cultures descend mainly from the mixing of the French-Canadian, British, Scottish, American Indian and Canadian First Nations.

The fur trade established communities along the state's northern border from Pembina to Bottineau. "French was the major language of the fur trade," says Benoit. As the Métis presence grew during the 1800s, the activities of the French began to shift to agriculture. "Transitional communities" formed towns including Neche, Olga and Rolette. The largest concentration of Métis resided in the community of Saint Joseph, now Walhalla, between 1840 and 1870.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Confusing gobbledygook. Everyone looks old.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017