News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 11, 2016, 05:36:48 PM
Saw parts of some future caveman/mutant movie starring Sean Bean.  He was also in that Jodie Foster hijacking movie I mentioned.  Does he do a lot of B movies?

I'm guessing he'll try anything to avoid being killed of in the first 30 minutes/installment/season.

edit:

Oh,I remember that film, one of the few I've given up on, twice no less, both times didn't make it past the 20-30min mark.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/08/preacher-amc

QuoteAMC's Preacher is very different from the comics

AMC's Preacher pilot is an ultra violent, shockingly witty, heightened reality tale of supernatural mayhem in a West Texas town — and it's very different from the infamous gleefully blasphemous trope-busting comic that it's based on.

"I don't know that you could translate it directly [from the comic]," said executive producer Seth Rogen (yup, that Seth Rogen). "Everybody involved felt we should not — including [comic creator Garth Ennis]."

The show's producers and cast were at the Television Critics Association's press tour in Pasadena, California, on Friday after reporters were given a preview screening of the roughly 60-minute pilot the night prior. The first episode introduces Jesse Custer (Dominic Cooper), a weary faithless small-town preacher with a shady past, his badass ex-girlfriend Tulip O'Hare (Ruth Negga) and a deadbeat Irish vampire Cassidy (Joe Gilgun).

"We're fans of the comic," Rogen continued. "We love the comic. We're going to make a show we like, so we hope that that translates to people that love the comic as well.  But our first and foremost goal is to make a great, entertaining, fun television show that if you never heard of the comic book, you love. We want the show to be fun for regular people without sick sensibilities."

Critics were particularly impressed by Negga's scene-stealing sequence soliciting two young kids to help her fight some (presumed) bad guys. While Cassidy should continue to The Strain's trend of subverting vampire clichés. "What's wonderful about Cassidy is he's been around for so long yet he's accomplished nothing," Gilgun said. "He consistently makes terrible decisions ... He puts an end to all this sexy vampire business."

Preacher has had a long and rocky history to the screen, with a feature film effort in 1990s with director Kevin Smith attached that morphed into an HBO drama development with James Marsden attached to star that eventually collapsed in 2008.

Nailing the comics' tone was a particularly tricky part of the adaptation. "There's lots of violence and drama, but there's always comedy throughout," Rogen says. "That's the real challenge and opportunity [Garth has] given us that there's violence, almost melodrama, but then also we're trying to make people laugh. We have characters who do really horrific things in one episode and then come back and do really silly things."

Added Gilgun: "Everybody says they want too see something different," Gilgun says. "If this isn't that thing, I don't know what is."

:hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

If AMC's doing it, it'll probably be good.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I guess I'm less worried now (Preacher is one of my favorite series) that they're pulling a Walking Dead, i.e. taking the premise and characters of the comic but doing something different with them. A straight up adaptation would have been difficult and likely very disappointing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2016, 05:20:16 PM
Since the Simpsons debuted in December 1989, hasn't the show already made an 80s couch gag? :nerd:

We've come full circle. -_-
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on January 12, 2016, 03:37:51 AM
I guess I'm less worried now (Preacher is one of my favorite series) that they're pulling a Walking Dead, i.e. taking the premise and characters of the comic but doing something different with them. A straight up adaptation would have been difficult and likely very disappointing.

The first eps of Walking Dead were reasonably close to the comic, I thought. Then it became its own thing.

Josquius

Game of Thrones spoiled us on the accurate adaptation front I think. Its changes tended to be minor and more simplifications than massive alterations.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on January 12, 2016, 01:48:03 PM
Game of Thrones spoiled us on the accurate adaptation front I think. Its changes tended to be minor and more simplifications than massive alterations.

:hmm:

Well GoT has a multitude of minor differences rather than major story arc changes at least with as much as we know now.

Below is an aspie list of all differences. Below that is a link with 'big' differences, some of which could have major implications but again not really with story to date.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Differences_between_books_and_TV_series

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/05/20-big-differences-between-the-game-of-thrones-tv.html
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on January 11, 2016, 05:14:52 PM
This Simpson's 80s couch gag makes me want to play Vice City again.  :blush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZu5iDTtNg0

"Push it to the limit!"

Well that's cool.

What would you call this sort of...animation? Style?
The car zooming towards the gleaming sky scrapered city sort of thing... It's very common in old anime too. It is quite wonderful but oh so very 80s.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Watched Star Trek Into Darkness the other night.  There were parts of this movie that did not make sense to me.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 12, 2016, 03:41:55 PM
Watched Star Trek Into Darkness the other night.  There were parts of this movie that did not make sense to me.

Beginning, middle and end parts?

Most infuriating part was when the ship was spinning and falling to earth, and the characters are tumbling around inside.  We're a bunch of Star Trek nerds - we know that THAT IS NOT HOW GRAVITY WORKS!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Oh dear lord, be still my nerdy little heart. WWE Network has launched here. For $9.99/mth you get their stream (think NFL network stream), access to TV shows, and - which is rather amazing - on demand access to their PPVs. Which ones? All of them, from Wrestlemania I onward. Oh, and the PPVs from WCW and ECW, too.

I'll sign up for the trial month, and after that will see if it's worth it.

EDIT: Main downside seems to be you don't get the current shows of Raw and Smackdown? They seem to be a month behind. :hmm:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

I know it isn't fair, given my own delight in pretty geeky stuff...but when someone admits to being a professional wrestling fan, I can't help but mentally drop them a few rungs down on the mental acuity ladder.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned