News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 01, 2016, 01:59:48 AM
The local cable monopoly is cutting off AMC networks (so no Walking Dead, Better Call Saul, etc).

Probably time to cut the cord.  That pretty much leaves TCM and some sports as the only thing I have it for.
Yeah if i could find Pac-12 network without having cable i would ditch it.
no more IFC as well.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

The local cable monopoly is cutting off AMC networks (so no Walking Dead, Better Call Saul, etc).

Yet another reason not to live in Alaska.  :homestar:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 01, 2016, 02:20:44 AM

Yet another reason not to live in Alaska.  :homestar:

Just like anywhere else with only one cable company in town.  :sleep:

If I wasn't renting/in a condo, I could go satellite...but alas.

I'll likely end up cutting the cable TV and paying $2 to Amazon for TWD.  It's also too bad that the cable monopoly is also pretty much an internet monopoly.  The only alternative is sketchy DSL...probably not suitable for streaming,

Admiral Yi

Probably time to cut the cord.  That pretty much leaves TCM and some sports as the only thing I have it for.

See if DirectTV carries it.  That way you could put some money in my and Mono's pockets.  :)

Barrister

Because Mrs B and I are wild and crazy people, we spent New Years Eve watching a movie.  In our case, Mad Max: Fury Road.

First of all - good deal.  It was a $0.99 rental via iTunes.

Second... I don't get the hype.  It was good for what it was, which was a 2 hour car chase movie.  I liked but didn't love it.  Mrs B didn't hate it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

I randomly started watching a Canadian series called Continuum a month ago.
Its not must see TV but it is quite good.
Its about a police woman from corporate dictatorship led 2077 who ends up in the current day along with a group of terrorists from her time. And things get more complicated from there.
Its interesting as I'm now starting on the 3rd series and...it really seems they had a plan to go this way from the very start of the show. It seemed that it was obviously going to go down a different path too; with the main character being presented as working for the actual bad guys but...things don't work out like that.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Jack the Giant Slayer. Another film in the "take famous fairy tales and turn them into effects-driven epic films" trend of late. This one is neither here or there.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on January 01, 2016, 09:46:00 AM
Second... I don't get the hype.  It was good for what it was, which was a 2 hour car chase movie.  I liked but didn't love it.  Mrs B didn't hate it.
I agree with you, it's good, but not that good.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on January 01, 2016, 04:10:55 PM
Its about a police woman from corporate dictatorship led 2077 who ends up in the current day along with a group of terrorists from her time. And things get more complicated from there.
Its interesting as I'm now starting on the 3rd series and...it really seems they had a plan to go this way from the very start of the show. It seemed that it was obviously going to go down a different path too; with the main character being presented as working for the actual bad guys but...things don't work out like that.
It's not bad, not great either.  I thought the last season was a bit of a downer.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Star Trek reboot movies. MOAR LENS FLAIR
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

I was pleasantly surprised that Abrams kept the lens flare at a minimum in TFA. Even the ones he uses aren't terribly distracting.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on January 02, 2016, 11:03:50 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 01, 2016, 04:10:55 PM
It's not bad, not great either.  I thought the last season was a bit of a downer.

Yeah it is alright. Though the blatant [spoiler]Sonmanto - Monsanto[/spoiler] business was a bit tiring.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Watched "The Water Diviner."  Russell Crowe directs himself as an Australian farmer who travels to Turkey to find the remains of his three sons, who died at Gallipoli. Or did they?? Maybe one lived!

This movie has potential but wastes it for the most part.  The dialogue can be clunky and the heart felt orchestration over-weaning.  I gave up on it before it was revealed whether the one son survived.

The Ukrainian Bond chick plays the Turkish hottie widow, further typecasting her as the actress who plays random ethnic women.

Queequeg

She's kind of convincingly Turkish, though. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2016, 02:38:01 PM
Watched "The Water Diviner."  Russell Crowe directs himself as an Australian farmer who travels to Turkey to find the remains of his three sons, who died at Gallipoli. Or did they?? Maybe one lived!

This movie has potential but wastes it for the most part.  The dialogue can be clunky and the heart felt orchestration over-weaning.  I gave up on it before it was revealed whether the one son survived.

The Ukrainian Bond chick plays the Turkish hottie widow, further typecasting her as the actress who plays random ethnic women.

I can't picture giving up on a movie that has Olga Kurylenko in it, I saw through the end of Hitman just because of that.