TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on December 25, 2015, 03:38:57 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 25, 2015, 03:17:19 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 24, 2015, 11:20:07 AM
Spielberg's Tintin was awful.

The old animated show is damn great anyway. Nothing else is needed.

"Old" animated show? Well, they kind of slaughtered by tampering with it in to deliver a 16/9 presentation but it's not that old.
[spoiler]Sorry, I don't believe you were talking about the really old Belvision cartoon, hard to find nowadays except for one episode, even in Belgium.[/spoiler]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Animated-Feature-Films-Tintin/dp/B000EBEIPI

I know those, these are the Belvision features films, not the hard to find Belvision TV show, though one feature film was recycled from the sum of the episodes pertaining to an album.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 25, 2015, 03:48:43 PM

"Old" animated show? Well, they kind of slaughtered by tampering with it in to deliver a 16/9 presentation but it's not that old.
[spoiler]Sorry, I don't believe you were talking about the really old Belvision cartoon, hard to find nowadays except for one episode, even in Belgium.[/spoiler]

I know those, these are the Belvision features films, not the hard to find Belvision TV show, though one feature film was recycled from the sum of the episodes pertaining to an album.

Gotcha, those are the only one's I'm familiar with.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

I own all the Belvision cartoons in VHS (Catalan dub), my parents bought them when I was a kid since they were very popular over here. Didn't realize it was "hard" to find?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on December 25, 2015, 03:51:44 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 25, 2015, 03:48:43 PM

Gotcha, those are the only one's I'm familiar with.  :)

All right then, it's mostly for old-timer tintinophiles now. I guess I am one of them because I can remember them. You might want to compare with the new Prisoners of the sun adaptation from the '90s, done by Nelvana studio. Still shows up on digital terrestrial TV in France from time to time.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-Tintin-DVD-St%C3%A9phane-Bernasconi/dp/B005DZ1X62

The blu-ray edition was reformatted for 16/9 screens, not sure about the DVD. I also can't vouch if there's a less PC French track in the UK DVD. An element such as slavery was deemed too un-PC in the English such as in Red Sea Sharks, inspired by a real case of slave trade in the '50s from Africa to Saudi Arabia.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on December 25, 2015, 03:54:35 PM
I own all the Belvision cartoons in VHS (Catalan dub), my parents bought them when I was a kid since they were very popular over here. Didn't realize it was "hard" to find?

Well, as Mongers clarified, he was speaking of the features films. Those are not hard to find. I only have vague memories of the '60s show.

celedhring

I was speaking of the 60s show, though  :lol:

Actually I don't think I have seen the 90s one.

Eddie Teach

The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Interesting.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Well, I am gladly proven wrong then. :) Except for l'Affaire Tournesol (Calculus Affair) they have not been released since the VHS age. That makes them hard to find and watch on flat-screens.
With the retro trend and wealthy older tintinophiles, the prices of these VHS tapes reach ridiculous amounts.

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 25, 2015, 04:30:29 PM
Well, I am gladly proven wrong then. :) Except for l'Affaire Tournesol (Calculus Affair) they have not been released since the VHS age. That makes them hard to find and watch on flat-screens.
With the retro trend and wealthy older tintinophiles, the prices of these VHS tapes reach ridiculous amounts.

They were very popular in the 80s over here, as it was one of the first cartoons that was dubbed in Catalan. I personally love them, although there's admittedly a big nostalgia factor at play.

The Brain

Vampire's Kiss. It was an awesome movie. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

S3 of Toast of London. Oh Matt Berry, how you kill me.

celedhring

Been watching Marco Polo these days. It's lush and entertaining. It's not a "great" show, and actually Marco's character is probably the least interesting thing in it, but it's pretty serviceable. The wuxia angle was unexpected and welcome.

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on December 25, 2015, 07:03:59 PM

I suppose Cage's completely deranged portrayal of the main character is enough value.

Something that has always bugged me from that film. In the scene where he tries to kill himself by holding a gun to his mouth, but survives since the gun is loaded with blanks... shouldn't he have died? Blanks don't work that way.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on December 26, 2015, 07:01:52 AM
Been watching Marco Polo these days. It's lush and entertaining. It's not a "great" show, and actually Marco's character is probably the least interesting thing in it, but it's pretty serviceable. The wuxia angle was unexpected and welcome.
I just can't get into that. All the elements are there that should make it right up my alley- history, East Asia, kung fu,  hot girls, high production values, etc....
But.....
Yeah.  Watched 3 or so episodes and ended up just bored.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on December 26, 2015, 07:32:25 AM
Quote from: The Brain on December 25, 2015, 07:03:59 PM

I suppose Cage's completely deranged portrayal of the main character is enough value.

Something that has always bugged me from that film. In the scene where he tries to kill himself by holding a gun to his mouth, but survives since the gun is loaded with blanks... shouldn't he have died? Blanks don't work that way.

Ask Siege about the blanks.

Anyway, it's a good movie. But then I enjoyed American Psycho as well.