News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on December 15, 2015, 01:29:31 PM
I have tickets for 3 screenings throughout the weekend - with two groups of friends on Friday and with family on Saturday. I hope it isn't like when I bought 3 advance tickets for Attack of the Clones and hated it on first viewing.

Oh god, never have the :bleeding: smiley been more apt. Hayden Christensen's performance in that movie still ranks among the worst I've ever seen by any actor ever.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on December 15, 2015, 01:43:50 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 15, 2015, 01:35:55 PM
I saw The Phantom Menace 5 times when it came out. There, I said it.  :Embarrass:

Just couldn't get enough Jar Jar?  :P

Well, I had to see it with my bro, then my friends, then my parents. Then I went to the Czech Republic in an Erasmus exchange program, and caught the film's premiere there - I was going out with a hot Czech chick that wanted to see it so I had to acquiesce. She loved it, so I had to go and see it again.

It was the first Star Wars in 15 years, so hype/nostalgia alone was able to make up for the suckiness of the film for a few viewings.

I'm still ashamed that it is the film I have seen more times in theatres.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on December 15, 2015, 01:48:59 PM
I saw The Phantom Menace 5 times when it came out. There, I said it.  :Embarrass:

Well, I had to see it with my bro, then my friends, then my parents. Then I went to the Czech Republic in an Erasmus exchange program, and caught the film's premiere there - I was going out with a hot Czech chick that wanted to see it so I had to acquiesce. She loved it, so I had to go and see it again.

It was the first Star Wars in 15 years, so hype/nostalgia alone was able to make up for the suckiness of the film for a few viewings.

Please tell us that the hot Czech chick put out - that would make the torment worthwhile.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

frunk

I've seen many movies twice in the theater, but I think Willow holds my personal record at three.  Hey, back then the $.50 theater was cheap air conditioning.

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on December 15, 2015, 01:53:44 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 15, 2015, 01:48:59 PM

Please tell us that the hot Czech chick put out - that would make the torment worthwhile.  :D

She didn't :(

Tbf I was 20 at the time, and not too good at closing the business with chicks. Didn't hone that skill until my mid 20s.

Syt

Quote from: katmai on December 15, 2015, 01:17:25 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on December 15, 2015, 01:02:44 PM
Thursday 1900, 3D.
With my Vader (in front of a Christmas tree) T-shirt :nerd:. I will make sure my kids wear nerdy/geek t-shirts too. If I could only get The Wife to wear something nerdy :hmm:
Trying to choose between these two shirts.

It'll probably this:

Or this:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on December 15, 2015, 01:31:07 PM
I have tickets for 3 screenings throughout the weekend - with two groups of friends on Friday and with family on Saturday. I hope it isn't like when I bought 3 advance tickets for Attack of the Clones and hated it on first viewing.

Woah. I can't think of any movie I've ever watched three times in a row.

Evita.  :blush:

And Ep. 3.  :blush:

But yeah, I have three tickets, too. Tomorrow, Saturday, and next week Wednesday.  :blush: :blush: :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

There's many movies I have seen several times in theatres. For starters hot geek events like Star Wars or LOTR I usually have several groups of people that want to go (friends, family, etc...), so they end up becoming social events.

Then there's films I truly love and that deserve a large screen. For example I saw Mad Max Fury Road thrice when it came out - that's a film that needs a huge screen, and I had a hell of a time every time I went.

Then since I get invited to film fests/advance screenings/premieres and such because I work in the business, there's a few films I end up seeing several times. I may not particularly care about those films either way, but it's part of the networking side of my job.

Syt

There's not many movies I saw multiple times on the big screen. Usually it was when there were overlapping groups of friends. Also, the logistics were problematic, having no car in the countryside and needing a bus or train to get to the movies. Evita, Horse Whisperer, Star Trek: First Contact, and the Star Wars movies. Except Ep. I. Didn't see that in theaters. It came out in Germany after everyone had already watched the bootleg, and there was no way of getting to an undubbed version without major logistics.
—Stephen Jay Gould

KRonn

Quote from: celedhring on December 15, 2015, 02:08:47 PM
There's many movies I have seen several times in theatres. For starters hot geek events like Star Wars or LOTR I usually have several groups of people that want to go (friends, family, etc...), so they end up becoming social events.

Then there's films I truly love and that deserve a large screen. For example I saw Mad Max Fury Road thrice when it came out - that's a film that needs a huge screen, and I had a hell of a time every time I went.

Then since I get invited to film fests/advance screenings/premieres and such because I work in the business, there's a few films I end up seeing several times. I may not particularly care about those films either way, but it's part of the networking side of my job.

Lucky you, that's a pretty nice perk of your job.   :)

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on December 15, 2015, 01:42:30 PM
TPM wasn't terrible.  I remember I liked it on first viewing, though even then Jar Jar and midichlorines got a big :rolleyes: from me.  The fact it was the first Star Wars movie in 15+ years had something to do with it.

The trouble with it is the seeming pointlessness of it.  It doesn't really add much to the story, and characters like Qui-Gon and Darth Maul are never heard from again.
Qui-Gon and Darth Maul both reappear in Clone Wars, so they weren't pointless.

:P

That whole movie was supposed to introduce Anakin Skywalker and show us how good a pilot he was, but it never really worked, for various reasons.  We were also supposed to see that Obi-Wan was at a time young and restless, but that did not work either.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I saw the Phantom Menace twice in theaters.  Once, I went with my friends in Quebec city to watch the original.  The other time I brought my girlfriend's kid to see it at the local theater in its dubbed version.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on December 15, 2015, 01:31:07 PM

Woah. I can't think of any movie I've ever watched three times in a row.

I watched the original Star Wars three times in a row - on the same day.  It was back in the day when the theatres didn't make sure you actually left the theatre and I was young :D  I was so struck by the movie that I had to see it again and again.  I am not sure how many times I have seen it since.  But it has been a lot.

celedhring

Quote from: KRonn on December 15, 2015, 02:55:15 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 15, 2015, 02:08:47 PM

Lucky you, that's a pretty nice perk of your job.   :)

I have to put up with a non-negligible number of stinkers, mind!

Duque de Bragança

:lmfao:

I believe the movie I watched more on the big screen, though not in a row, is either Casablanca or 2001. Twice in Germany for Casablanca, 3 or 4 more in Paris with the Cinémathèque and arthouses.
Perhaps one less viewing for 2001, the first was in a huge screen that closed (Gaumont Grand Écran) that also showed Apocalypse Now Redux back in 2001.

As for the new Star Wars, it opens tomorrow in France (movies open on Wednesday) but with half a million tickets already sold, I think I'll wait a bit, 1 or 2 weeks, to watch it at the IMAX cinema.
As for watching in a row, it's still possible with the cinema flat rate cards popular in France (20 € per month), though I'd rather have a movie marathon with Indy movies in the same day.