News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 25, 2015, 05:54:27 PM
I'm enjoying all of the CW's DC shows so far.  I'm looking forward to Legends.

I found the writing and acting in Arrow to be painfully bad, not to mention the totally screwed-up timing of events and some glaring procedural holes.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Tyr on November 30, 2015, 10:10:45 AM
Daredevil certainly I felt to be rather crappy and mediocre after a few episodes. It took time to grow.

Daredevil is, thus far, the best series I have ever seen.

Admiral Yi

Had a very vivid and long dream last night about attending Oxford and partying all the time.  No doubt inspired by watching Riot Club, about upper class wankers who trash everything.

Ed Anger

Spies Like Us. Good stuff.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Spymasters; Bizarrely disturbing.

Pretty much all of them agree at the end, "We can't kill our way out of this"
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

Bridge of Spies- how about that. I thought it was still in cinemas but here it is on a plane ride. Pretty good.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: KRonn on December 01, 2015, 02:04:38 PM
I watched the pilot of   The Expanse on SyFi channel. It's about Earth in the 23rd century. Humans have colonized Mars and other places. There are colonies and mining in the asteroid belt which are used to provide resources for the outlying colonies. Much tension between the colonies as some are looking for independence from Earth. Looks pretty interesting so far.

This wasn't on my radar (and should have been...I love a nice, gritty, plausible sci-fi), and am watching it right now.  So far so good.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on December 01, 2015, 03:15:18 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 01, 2015, 02:37:55 AM
No. As per usual you need to do your research.
The nazis power base was heavily built on slightly less insane conservatives.  Huge amount of Christians amongst their number and some pretty tight relations with churches.

So they weren't already suppressing churches?  That was all imaginary?

Some they suppressed.  Some they had close working relationships with.  Certainly not within touching distance of banning Christianity as a whole. 
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 01, 2015, 10:04:08 PM
I watched the pilot of   The Expanse on SyFi channel. It's about Earth in the 23rd century. Humans have colonized Mars and other places. There are colonies and mining in the asteroid belt which are used to provide resources for the outlying colonies. Much tension between the colonies as some are looking for independence from Earth. Looks pretty interesting so far.

This wasn't on my radar (and should have been...I love a nice, gritty, plausible sci-fi), and am watching it right now.  So far so good.

That was good
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

KRonn

Quote from: 11B4V on December 01, 2015, 11:30:46 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 01, 2015, 10:04:08 PM

That was good

The show begins/continues December 13/14. I think they showed/released the Pilot early and the show picks up later at those dates.

viper37

Looks good, but I reserve my judgement for later in the season :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on December 01, 2015, 03:06:54 PM
I always wondered why someone would  migrate to Mars.  Is there a lot good soil for growing things?  Things to mine.  It seems like it would be like living in Antarctica except with out the luxuries of air and water.
they have air and water while inside ;)

It depends if Mars is terraformed, if Mars has lots of domed cities where humans can live and what kind of work you can do there.  I suspect in most sci-fi universe, there is some mining done on Mars and that would be the first reason to be there.
Or there's a lack of space on Earth.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

In random nostalgia ... Alfred J Kwak was a Dutch cartoon show for kids that also ran in Germany. One story arc had the Kra usurp the benevolent king's throne with the aid of the National Crow Party. The heroes then go and start a resistance to bring power back to the people.

This is what he looked like:

Subtle. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

Quote from: viper37 on December 02, 2015, 11:44:03 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 01, 2015, 03:06:54 PM
I always wondered why someone would  migrate to Mars.  Is there a lot good soil for growing things?  Things to mine.  It seems like it would be like living in Antarctica except with out the luxuries of air and water.
they have air and water while inside ;)

It depends if Mars is terraformed, if Mars has lots of domed cities where humans can live and what kind of work you can do there.  I suspect in most sci-fi universe, there is some mining done on Mars and that would be the first reason to be there.
Or there's a lack of space on Earth.

I think they said how the Earth had become very crowded so likely part of the draw is getting away from crushing humanity. And I think tech is quite advanced so they should have ways of growing food on Mars, and as mentioned mining. Also probably some industry like space ship production, etc. and possibly other corps there making products for Earth and the outlying colonies.

mongers

Is 'San Andreas' worth any of my lifespan?

And don't just answer yes because you have a really low opinion of my value.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"