News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Let's Be Cops. Dumb but funny enough.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Jupiter Ascending was worst than I expected and my expectations were very low.  Nothing really made sense, the main character (Mila Kunis) was probably the dumbest and most naive character on screen for the last 50 years, there was bad acting all accross the board and a story filled with plot holes the size of that tunnel to reach Jupiter (or whatever gaz giant planet that was).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

The Wachowskis have been consistently putting out ambitious yet silly content since The Matrix.

Ideologue

Yeah, but it's also been more-or-less good.  Speed Racer and Cloud Atlas are each amazing, and even the latter two Matrices have their moments.  (I still say that, taken as its own independent film, Reloaded is pretty great; unfortunately, considering it separately from Revolutions is a fool's game.)

Reviewed Grand Prix (1966).  10/10.  Frankenheimer. :wub:

Also managed to check out Black Sunday and Seven Days in May.  8 and 7 of 10, respectively.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Also, I finished 30 Rock.  That last joke is pretty amazing. :)

Actually, hell, here's everything I've watched lately, just to have a list I can refer to.  Lot of stuff, could be some repeats.

Kagemusha (6/10)
From Here to Eternity (7/10)
Road to Perdition (10/10)
The Searchers (4/10) ( :( )
Fantasia (10/10)
Airport '77 (6/10)
My Darling Clementine (7/10)
Network (9/10)
Royal Tenenbaums (9/10)
The Sting (8/10)
Broken Arrow (9/10)
Thief (8/10)
Notorious (8/10)
Forbidden Planet (10/10)
Godzilla vs. Megalon (5.01/10)
All That Heaven Allows (the commentary track, anyway) (9/10)
Sound of Music (7/10)
Fantastic Four (2/10)
Phoenix (3/10) (and these two are the only ones I've seen in the theater in the last month <_< )
Little Mermaid (10/10)
Aladdin (10/10)
Mulan (8/10)
The Conformist (4/10)
Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (9/10)
Daylight (5/10)
His Girl Friday (5/10)
Last of the Mohicans (10/10)
Marathon Man (8/10)
But I'm a Cheerleader (5.01/10)
Itty-Bitty Titty Committee (5/10)
Goodnight, and Good Luck (4/10)
For a Good Time, Call... (6/10)
Black Sunday (8/10)
Seven Days in May (7/10)
Citizen Kane (9/10)
Jackie Brown (8/10)
Grand Prix (10/10)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on September 07, 2015, 10:20:00 PM
Jupiter Ascending was worst than I expected and my expectations were very low.  Nothing really made sense, the main character (Mila Kunis) was probably the dumbest and most naive character on screen for the last 50 years, there was bad acting all accross the board and a story filled with plot holes the size of that tunnel to reach Jupiter (or whatever gaz giant planet that was).

You it's going to be bad if Sean Bean lives to the end of the movie and he isn't playing Sharpe.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on September 07, 2015, 11:01:47 PM
The Searchers (4/10) ( :( )

:( indeed. I'm no John Wayne fan, but still that should get at least a 7 or 8.

QuoteThe Sting (8/10)

Ok. So you just have an inexplicable love of Focus. 

Ideologue

That's what my girlfriend says. -_-  But should The Sting be higher than an 8, or Focus lower?

Searchers starts very strong, but winds up tonally deranged, mean-spirited in all the wrong ways, and basically repeats its ending.  (I forgot to mention I also watched The Wild Bunch, which is mean-spirited in most of the right ways.  A 7/10.)
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Watching Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time.

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on September 07, 2015, 06:39:53 PM
Doesn't it star Sam Worthington and Gemma Arterton? :unsure:

And Pete Postlethwaite, about two days before he died of cancer?

Mads Mikkelsen, Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes.

And Arterton doesn't even show that much skin.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on September 08, 2015, 01:16:42 AM
That's what my girlfriend says. -_-  But should The Sting be higher than an 8, or Focus lower?

It's been a while since I saw the Sting, so can't say for certain what I'd rate it. 8 sounds good. Focus should definitely be lower.

Admiral Yi

celedhring

The problem with The Sting is the whole "Seinfeld isn't funny anymore" phenomenon. It pretty much laid down the basics for the con movie, and it has been imitated so much that if you watch it today it feels trite because of the dozens of similar movies that have come afterwards. The "it looks like they will be caught but it's actually ALL PART OF THE RUSE!!!!" twist ending has become a staple of the genre in particular - Focus included.

Ideologue

Also meant to mention The Towering Inferno, a cool 9/10, and Monster Squad, a nice 8/10.

And Focus is a great star vehicle.
Kinemalogue

The Larch

Quote from: Ideologue on September 07, 2015, 06:39:53 PM
Doesn't it star Sam Worthington and Gemma Arterton? :unsure:

And Pete Postlethwaite, about two days before he died of cancer?

And Liam Neeson, and Ralph Fiennes, and Luke Evans, and Mads Mikkelsen, and Nicholas Hoult, and Polly Walker (Atia in HBO's Rome), and Elizabeth McGovern (the Countess of Grantham in Downton Abbey) and a bunch of Game of Thrones veterans (Alexander Siddig, Liam Cunningham, Rory McCann).